Post your own shareable pics...

• Thread starter Tlegacy
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Buzzzz

Buzzzz

Been in chemical lawn care for 40 years and never saw this until yesterday. A disgusting cyanobacterium. Not a fungus, not a bacteria...not necessarily an algea.

Oh and nearly impossible to kill.

Its called Nostoc.

I should have retired last year.

The only two legitimate controls I can find are killing it with repeated apps of Scythe which is an herbicide that burns down anything it touches especially turf. Or...a flame thrower. Literally....burning it with a torch. And even then it will probably return.
They say this will eliminate it and not hurt anything

tobh

tobh

Supporter
Oh I forgot to mention the best part. The lawn is 35,000 sq. ft. un irrigated, full sun with a history of insect and crab grass invasions, limited program and the owners a 87 year old lady.

And its scattered around the lawn these arent the only spots. Its also being eaten alive by chinch bugs. Ive been caring for this lawn on a limited 2-3 visit program for 15 years.

Im currently on hold as the lady blames her lawn mowing company....I mentioned it could have been transmitted by mowers because the conditions do not favor this junk and it just magically appeared in the last two weeks. I told her not to accuse them but ask them if they've seen this before on any of their other lawns.

Theyll just play ignorant as they should and eventually this is gonna be back in my lap.

I really dont want to go anywhere near this shit with my equipment. Im going to have to sanitize everything afterwards.

Fuck.
had to research what that stuff is. apparently it has a ton of health benefits, but damn is it nasty lookin shit. and of course, like you said, it's damn near impossible to kill without going full nuclear on it.

steamroller

steamroller

Cyanno is one of the oldest forms of life left on this planet. Millions of years easy with documentation.
Erythromycin is the chosen antibiotic for killing it.
In water its growth represents and un even supply of nutrients and lack of O2 usually. Sometimes it is blamed on O2/CO2 fluctuations.
Damn near impossible to completely kill. Millions of years old...

Bib4tuna

Bib4tuna

Been in chemical lawn care for 40 years and never saw this until yesterday. A disgusting cyanobacterium. Not a fungus, not a bacteria...not necessarily an algea.

Oh and nearly impossible to kill.

Its called Nostoc.

I should have retired last year.

The only two legitimate controls I can find are killing it with repeated apps of Scythe which is an herbicide that burns down anything it touches especially turf. Or...a flame thrower. Literally....burning it with a torch. And even then it will probably return.
That stuff looks nasty man! I’m with the flamethrower idea,lol! Burn it all to hell!

Jimmie

Jimmie

CC4CA9BA 8C30 4AC3 AA1A FEF2AFA2F95E

Shaded_One

Shaded_One

5070DD46 B600 42C6 B006 EF755C61B513

244BD830 A6BE 479C 9035 DB8E0D3E8B86

A little "class" I took with my friend this past weekend. Japanese art of Kokedama - wrapping the roots of a plant in sphagnum peat & then wrapping that with an outer layer of moss. Tie it all together as you go and this is the end result! I really want to try this with weed 😂

tobh

tobh

Supporter
View attachment 1269611
View attachment 1269612

A little "class" I took with my friend this past weekend. Japanese art of Kokedama - wrapping the roots of a plant in sphagnum peat & then wrapping that with an outer layer of moss. Tie it all together as you go and this is the end result! I really want to try this with weed 😂
do it! micro-mother keeping. hell, i used to do something similar, applying bonsai techniques, to keep mothers super small for long periods of time. LST, root trimming, etc. those theories work great, though with peat/spagnum, you're gonna have a hell of a time with pH regulation.

Maxwax

Maxwax

Cyanno is one of the oldest forms of life left on this planet. Millions of years easy with documentation.
Erythromycin is the chosen antibiotic for killing it.
In water its growth represents and un even supply of nutrients and lack of O2 usually. Sometimes it is blamed on O2/CO2 fluctuations.
Damn near impossible to completely kill. Millions of years old...
Ive used erythro injections for fire blight on Apple Trees with very little to no response and Cyanobacterias are more like 4 billion years old. Im not aware of any bacterial controls for lawns and dont want to be...lol In all my research though I never heard that mentioned. It doesnt act like normal "bacteria" as I understand.

Im convinced this had to have been brought to this lawn by lawn mowers so much so that I dont even want to go near it and risk contaminating any of my other clients lawns.

If I had my choice though Id burn it to hell with Scythe and slit seed.

weed420420420420420

weed420420420420420

A big ol kerosene or gasoline burn wont do it huh.
first do the usual cleaning. then torch the spores with shitloads of either thing.
probably too much land...

Bib4tuna

Bib4tuna

Just gotta say I’ve seen some crazy clouds but this & that other cloud pic look like some Armageddon/Close encounters type clouds,lol!

Buzzzz

Buzzzz

had to research what that stuff is. apparently it has a ton of health benefits, but damn is it nasty lookin shit. and of course, like you said, it's damn near impossible to kill without going full nuclear on it.

Just gotta say I’ve seen some crazy clouds but this & that other cloud pic look like some Armageddon/Close encounters type clouds,lol!
That's in Texas,I did not personally take that pic. I thought it looked pretty cool,I've always been amazed at natures power and gifts.

Top Bottom