Pot Size Per Plant Size... Green Planet Video

• Thread starter Dankalicious
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Dankalicious

Dankalicious

Do you agree with what he's is saying about the shoes being too big?

I recently started upping my pot size and think they are growing much faster because of it.
Even putting 8" clones in a 10g pot and flowering in the same pot.

kbellfoy

kbellfoy

I recently started upping my pot size and think they are growing much faster because of it.

I always put my young ones in large pots. Iv had no issues doing this....oh ye sorry I have....I can't keep up with the growth. I now won't do it any other way.

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

I go from cloner to solo cup to 4.7 gal final pot. 4+ yrs doing it this way. and x2 on always fighting my veg growth. even turing my ballast to 75% doesn't do squat last 2 weeks of vegging.

cannabeans

cannabeans

The key words were... blah blah blah "and we soak that pot"

Duh.... Dont soak the pot...
I have always gone from rooted cutting to finish container ... BTW I dont "soak that pot"
I give them the water they need for the day... as they grow, they get more water. Problem solved!

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl

I call incorrect on this one. I transplant girls who are maybe a foot tall into my raised beds, which are MUCH larger than any pot you can fill, and it's not too much. Just don't overwater. If you ask Blaze he'll tell you that if you give them bigger shoes they'll fill them, because that's what cannabis does, she GROWS.

Dankalicious

Dankalicious

To some extent I agree ,but I'm a coco grower, I grow 5' plants in # 3 pots.
pure or amended??? I notice if you mix in a little perlite and worm castings it helps them hold root and keeps the aphids out.

Dankalicious

Dankalicious

Brother for the record if aphids are there nothing will keep them out. Lol

I agree nothing will keep them out, I discovered they really like the terpene Pinene and go crazy for Haze strains.
I also discovered they only propagate in soil that doesn't contain worm castings... And they really love pure coco. :)

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I agree nothing will keep them out, I discovered they really like the terpene Pinene and go crazy for Haze strains.
I also discovered they only propagate in soil that doesn't contain worm castings... And they really love pure coco. :)
That's impossible. My first experience with RAs came in pure perlite hempy tubs. Absolutely no soil in those tubs whatsoever.

If they can get to the roots, they're going to do their thing, IMO.

I hope you got 'em licked!

Bulldog11

Bulldog11

I call incorrect on this one. I transplant girls who are maybe a foot tall into my raised beds, which are MUCH larger than any pot you can fill, and it's not too much. Just don't overwater. If you ask Blaze he'll tell you that if you give them bigger shoes they'll fill them, because that's what cannabis does, she GROWS.

I agree. The bigger the pot the faster the plant will grow. If I could sex my seeds, I would pop my seeds strait into my 1000 gallon pots. Mother nature does it this way.

Tnelz

Tnelz

Have to agree with @Seamaiden here bro. When I got them there was like four different mediums and they liked all of them equally. A root aphid is a very powerful bug man. I suppose they may like one thing over another but if present please don't think there is any pot they won't infest. Healthiest plants first. Not debating with ya bro just don't want you or anyone to think they can keep safe from root aphids by adding worm castings to their mix. Just not going to bother them one bit. Just my 2 cents. Respect and good vibes.

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
And like Grandma always said... "the bigger the root , the bigger the fruit". I think bigger shoes are great for longer veg times if your shooting for trees. You can basically grow nice yields in 3-5 gall pots, strain and technique dependent of course.

Wisher619

Wisher619

what the guy says in the video is Absolutely 100% fact....however.......when transplanting you can go as big as you want...as long as you know how much water she needs...the way I do that is start with small amounts.....when she gets droopy I will water a little more then I did the first time and so on until she has grown into the pot and drinking constantly

mittenmedgrow

mittenmedgrow

Waiting for plants to show drooping leaves before watering is not exactly ideal.

Wisher619

Wisher619

correct...although there is a difference between droopy and DROOPY......when my leaves go from praying to strait out I know in a day or 2 she will start to slouch a little when she starts to slouch she gets a drink and back to praying

mittenmedgrow

mittenmedgrow

From what I have seen in my own experimentation is that proper pot size makes quite a difference in plant growth I think the key is to never let them get rootbound before transplanting and letting them dry to the point of seeing any droop is not what I would call a good practice .This is based on years with coco and I'm not sure about soil due to the fact that my soil days were my first few years of growing before I really payed attention and learned how to grow. I have used both methods in coco proper sized pots and top watering large pots and from what I've seen repotting at the appropriate time working my way up to a #10 nursery pot gives me much faster growth rates. I am using my first bed of coco right now half the bed was planted with Chemdog D the other wifi and the Chemdog D is keeping up with the plants in 5s but the wifi lagged way behind. I can't base any decision on one run with 2 strains but it is reinforcing what I have learned from growing large plants in 5s and 10s. Some strains might not mind the extra room and some might. I can tell you the key to growing large plants is to never let them bind until they are in their final pot. I would say that properly watering a small plants in a large pot is harder than stepping up. Too much plants get soggy feet too little you see a little droop and to me that means that the tiny fuzzy hairs that are growing on the roots are dying at that point

Top Bottom