Powdery mildew around my fans?

  • Thread starter Fro5ty
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Fro5ty

Fro5ty

165
43
I’m like 90% sure that it isn’t powdery mildew. But I would like to have some confirmation of other people.

last week I noticed some white stuff on my fans. I thought it was dust of some drillings in the wall that I did, and got picked up. I didn’t vacuum all of it up. This week I saw my chiller having problems because the air intake had difficulty because of it. And it looks like it has gotten worse. So far the plants have been pretty much unaffected. That’s why I’m pretty sure it isn’t mildew. There is only a speck, here and there. The white stuff mostly collects at places like my fans, chiller and air pump.

Can someone confirm that it isn’t white mildew?!
Powdery mildew around my fans
Powdery mildew around my fans 2
Powdery mildew around my fans 3
 
BirdLaw86

BirdLaw86

303
63
I never seen something like that but I would clean the room down with bleach. Legit EVERY SPOT IN THE ROOM NEEDS TO BE WIPED DOWN to try and prevent the growing conditions the mold prefers. As far as the plant youll have to get a better opinion from more experienced growers but my logical brain says get ahead of that mold before it gets ahead of you and its far harder to control. Clean the walls and floors and everything in the room with bleach water.
 
Fro5ty

Fro5ty

165
43
I never seen something like that but I would clean the room down with bleach. Legit EVERY SPOT IN THE ROOM NEEDS TO BE WIPED DOWN to try and prevent the growing conditions the mold prefers. As far as the plant youll have to get a better opinion from more experienced growers but my logical brain says get ahead of that mold before it gets ahead of you and its far harder to control. Clean the walls and floors and everything in the room with bleach water.
Like I sayed. I’m 90% sure that it isn’t mold. It’s probably dust from drilling or dust from the saw dust that I putted over my plants (predatory mites were in it)
 
BirdLaw86

BirdLaw86

303
63
Oh fawk no. Mites or mold or any of that is no bueno broski. Think about it, why spend months expecting awesome crop just for bugs or mold to fuck it up. My suggestion was just being prevention to be safe. Thats all.
 
GreenMtnGuru

GreenMtnGuru

346
93
Ummmmm…..for being an inexperienced grower, you seem pretty sure that’s mold.

Mold will not form on an operational fan. Period. Mold does not for crystalline structures. Period.

That looks like gypsum dust mixed with humidified air. The humidified air was made with hard or tap water.

Let’s get some more info before you freak this guy out. Also, Borax is a much wiser choice than bleach for a tent.
 
GreenMtnGuru

GreenMtnGuru

346
93
Well there ya go - only distilled or RO in your humidifier. Problem solved.

Also, always turn your fan off before doing work around the tent. Those fans will move the dust everywhere.
 
BirdLaw86

BirdLaw86

303
63
Ummmmm…..for being an inexperienced grower, you seem pretty sure that’s mold.

Mold will not form on an operational fan. Period. Mold does not for crystalline structures. Period.

That looks like gypsum dust mixed with humidified air. The humidified air was made with hard or tap water.

Let’s get some more info before you freak this guy out. Also, Borax is a much wiser choice than bleach for a tent.
Ummmm...for me offering a simple opinion that would in no which way shape or form negatively affect his plant, Id say your reply seems a bit sarcastic and negative...so ummm maybe you can take the morning "i need coffee" attitude elsewhere 😂
To clarify just bc Im not as experienced DOES NOT MEAN that I havent obtained vast amounts of information pertaining to these topics, therefore you reiterating my words on how Im not experienced is redundant.
 
mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

3,903
263
It's just dust. It almost assuredly has mold spores in it, among many other things, but it is not growing mold.

Fans get that way. Wipe them down regularly.

Mold spores are everywhere. If environmental conditions are right for them to grow, they will. But a plastic fan blade is not an ideal environment for growth.
 
CannaGranny

CannaGranny

750
143
Not to start a big disagreement here, but the one time I actually got PM it was even growing on the electric cords to my lights. Also not saying that this is a case of that, but just letting you know it can grow on a surface other than your plants. Everything that surfaced was small white dots or patches.
 
growsince79

growsince79

8,767
313
Ummmmm…..for being an inexperienced grower, you seem pretty sure that’s mold.

Mold will not form on an operational fan. Period. Mold does not for crystalline structures. Period.

That looks like gypsum dust mixed with humidified air. The humidified air was made with hard or tap water.

Let’s get some more info before you freak this guy out. Also, Borax is a much wiser choice than bleach for a tent.
I don't know why anyone would ever use a humidifier in a indoor grow. The plants should be the only humidifier you ever need..
 
mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

3,903
263
Not to start a big disagreement here, but the one time I actually got PM it was even growing on the electric cords to my lights. Also not saying that this is a case of that, but just letting you know it can grow on a surface other than your plants. Everything that surfaced was small white dots or patches.
I'm not an expert on powdery mildew, but what would powdery mildew on a power cord be feeding on? I thought it needed a host?
 
CannaGranny

CannaGranny

750
143
I'm not an expert on powdery mildew, but what would powdery mildew on a power cord be feeding on? I thought it needed a host?
I'm not an expert on powdery mildew, but what would powdery mildew on a power cord be feeding on? I thought it needed a host?
Not an expert on it but this is what I found.
Mildew and molds are fungi - simple microscopic organisms that thrive anywhere there is a moist environment. Molds are a necessary part of
the environment; without them, leaves would not decay and aspects of soil enrichment could not take place. It is their ability to destroy organic materials, however, that makes mold a problem for people - in our homes and in our bodies.
Mildew (mold in early stage) and molds grow on wood products, ceiling tiles, cardboard, wallpaper, carpets, drywall, fabric, plants, foods, insulation, decaying leaves and other organic materials.
Mold growths, or colonies, can start to grow on a damp surface within 24 to 48 hours. They reproduce by spores - tiny, lightweight “seeds”- that travel through the air. Molds digest organic material, eventually destroying the material they grow on, and then spread to destroy adjacent organic material. In addition to the damage molds can cause in your home, they can also cause mild to severe health problems.
 
TSD

TSD

1,525
263
Looks like the minerals in the water from the humidifier getting caught on the fan and growing stalactite type structures... do you have a water softener? Could be the salt from that or calcium from the hard water. That's my stoner conclusion.
 
Top Bottom