Powdery Mildew keeps comming back.

• Thread starter ImptheGimp
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
I

ImptheGimp

During the end of my last harvest I started to develop some powdery mildew around week six. I did some research and didnt find anything that gave me a "answer". I ask the owner of a local store and he suggested that i use dutch masters Zone with Penetrator... It made sense after thinking it through but was still iffy if it would work or not. Well 2 days after it was gone! i was amazed and told everyone I knew that ever had mildew problems. Now it seems to be coming back every once in a while. I live in las vegas so my humidity is pretty low. it doesnt get warm in my room now, and the circulation is great. It seems it has spread to parts of my veg room and even my mothers. Am I S.O.L. on this? Ive hear that once you get it, it can be a pain to get rid of. I dont currently use a sulfur burner but im leaning in the way of trying it out. If anyone has any input I would appreciate it greatly!

Big Buddy

Big Buddy

Hey bro, mildew is one of those things that anyone can get, its a matter of environment more so than anything else, good air flow and movement, as well as humidity(as you mentioned). The thing is that these spores are in the air, they are all over the place, they just need to have a catalyst to get going. SM 90 works very well, as does a product called benomyl(very hard to find now), its a 7 day systemic, but I wouldnt use it very far into flower at all. The simplest fix, which is more so to handle the problem at hand not so much long term is water over a ph of 8, molds cant survive sucha high ph and it will kill off what exists at the moment.
If you want to get rid if it all together, sterilize your house and everything in it basically, redo your rooms, spray your plants meticulously with sm 90(i prefer), every 2-3 days, and mist after the 3rd sm spray with water over 8 ph. Not a guarantee fix for ya, but will put you in a good direction. Theres a load of products that are chemical based I could mention that will end it completely, but I would never suggest them, were talkin hardcore chems for commercial plantations, most you cant even get with out certifications, but if you do the research for them, and find you want to use em, up to you.

G

Gnarfbuckle

lower your temps a bit. Also you cant fully kill PM. You have to harvest then completely sterilize your room with bleach etc etc.

also sulfur burners help.

Dirty White Boy

Dirty White Boy

Neem Oil does wonders, its the first and last choice for alot of organic growers! But the Sulfur burner is guaranteed.

L

luvinlife

I dont know the scientifics of pm but I battled it for years and tried everything.....sprays, sulpher vaps and burners, serenade, safers....ect but I have been pm free completely for a couple years now on acct of the zone penetator combo....I did the whole plant dunk EVERY 5 days and even when i DIDNT see it I still did it every 5 days for 6 weeks and have never seen it since...and I never changed a thing about temp, humidity, in or out take, or anything just religously did the zone penetrator combo...good luck

also used the sulpher burners and vaps alot and it was only a temporary fix too like all the others

O

Overvegg

After previously battling PM, I bought a sulfur burner and have been PM free. I use it regularly at least once a week. I havent seen anymore PM and the random bugs that make it in here haven't populated. I think the sulfur burner might help with infestations too.
Just my experience..

H

Hidden Stash

here's a tip i got from a helpful book.
havent tested though. (never got pm.)
4 tbsp of baking soda
2tbsp of murphy's oil soap
1 gal of warm water

mix together and apply with spray bottle.

ncga

ncga

You need to get in a routine with a sulfur burner.

Also in Vegas you should be able to find an ag store and get yourself a tyvek souit full face respirator and rubber gloves.

OK now that you have your PPG ( Personal Protective Gear0 you can use a couple of products that combined will do wonders. Stylet oil at the rate of 1 oz per gallon and a product called Sonota. Might find it on the net but not available in Cali with out a pesticide license.

Another great KNOCK down product is Oxidate. No residual but will kill pm and Boytritus in its tracks. You also want to note that when PM dies it looks worse. When dead the spores explode open.

As with pesticides you need a plan . So use the sulfur, then the Sonota/Stylet combo then the oxidate during the end. But please do reading on ag sites about PM UCD is a good source. Also know that if asked you are growing Cucurbits. A little more research will take youa long ways.

PEOPLE PLEASE USE THE PPG WHEN APPLYING ANY FOLIAR FUNGICIDE OR INSECTICIDE. Just because it's organic does not mean it's meant to be

1 Absorbed through your skin , eyes our mouth

http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/selectnewpest.cucurbits.html

nc

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
NC, it's funny seeing "junior farmer" under your name. Great points, especially pushing for protective gear.

L

luvinlife

Zone @ 5ml per gal, penetrator @recommended rate of 30ml/gal and mix it up in a 5 gal bucket or small trash bin and dunk whole plant and swish around take out shake and repeat 30 minutes later, and repeat again every five days for 6 weeks...if followed like this rest assured you will be a much happier camper! cheers

ps dont skip any steps and repeat every five days for 6 weeks....it may seem pretty rigorous and time consuming but you will have much more time once your pm is gone....

T

tcurtiss

I got PM once and that was due to poor air flow so check out your intake & exhaust fans and make sure you have enough air moving threw the cabinet

SM90 works to remove Mildew also

Good luck

true grit

true grit

ncga hit it on the head- Stylet Oil. Cheap comes by the gallon, works wonders. Also controls mites. I use at 1.5oz/g. Will last forever at that rate. Spray on plants as foliar every 5-7 days for a few weeks and you will see it disappear after a few applications....if you can get your room in check.

My first suggestion as I had this issue (low humidity, great airflow, pruned plants, yada = PM and made no sense)...the answer. Humidity was too low, there was too much airflow, too much evaporation, not enough leaf moisture, too many spores. Being in Vegas if you don't have your room rh around 50% theres the first issue. I went from 28%-55% and saw my plants go from healthy with a few issues, to VERY healthy with no issues....almost immediately. PM became very easy to battle with stylet oil.

Other things to use- Age Old offers a foliar spray/hard surface disinfectant that you can you to spray you plants and disinfect your room without having to tear things down...how effective I don't know, havent used it yet.

Also I like using Roots Excelurator, it promotes uber healthy root systems to fight off plant issues, and along those same lines I began to occasionally use Roots Organic Oregonism XL as a biological to help treat problems and that helped.

If you are late in flower, cut away the bad or spray SUPER heavy with Green Cure. Saved quite a few plants before I found stylet oil and have started to get my room conditions in check.....

I

ImptheGimp

Thanks! I picked up some SM90 a while back in place of clearex.... I'll give it a shot! It makes sense, i hope it works i really dont want to start a SOG all over again after just moving into this place.

I

ImptheGimp

Sounds like this could be an "answer" NCGA Thanks for the reply... and seeing junior farmer is kinda funny. Great tips and good looking out.

N

norcalgreens

True Grit, are you saying to raise your humidity to around 55%.

I always heard to keep your humidty around 35% to 40% to help the fight against PM.

Interesting...

true grit

true grit

True Grit, are you saying to raise your humidity to around 55%.

I always heard to keep your humidty around 35% to 40% to help the fight against PM.

Interesting...

Yes, IMO, that range of humidity is what is ideal for your plants and plant health. Attack the issues that could lead to PM, fix those, then attack the PM itself and you will have much less chance of re-occurence.

I still have a few spots pop up here and there, but I take a step back look at the plant and its surroundings and usually have to turn off or readjust a fan. From there it gets treated and stays away. I get pockets in my room of too much airflow, heat, what have you and thats where it always pops up. Eliminate the causes, treat the problem and keep truckin! :cool0010:

justiceman

justiceman

I once got PM in a little closet grow I had going. I used Ed Rosenthals Zero tolerance fungicide(the blue one) as a foliar spray 2 weeks into flower and i decided to move them outside as it happened to be the right time to anyway. I had no more PM problems whatsoever.

IMHO yes the problem was not enough airflow and high humidity levels. Especially if it is warm and humid(around and above 60%) during night.

My point however is this. We should indeed practice preventative measures such as correct environment with airflow, temps, and humidity, but we should also pay attention to and nurture our microbiology in the medium or rez. They are the first line of defense to protecting the plant from pathogens. In medium based systems It's not such a bad idea to add a compost tea full of life every now and then, or to add fungi/bacteria spores to your rez. I found that ever since doing that inside I never even have to worry about PM again and their is no need for sprays at all.

Feed and nurture your microbiology. They will provide the protection for you:fighting0087::puke

Latest posts

Top Bottom