power back up for tent

• Thread starter cruzin
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
cruzin

cruzin

I wonder if one could use a computer power back up to run a smaller led for your tent in case of power outage . There was a power outage a few weeks back and I know someone who's crop hermed on him after that. Would like to start planning for winters grow.

Any thoughts?

Sunday687

Sunday687

Everytime tge power goes out i just hang a few flashlights in so they get a little light have never had a hermie from a power outage. A little extra darkness wont hurt anything its lights on during dark period in flower thats goimg to herm ur crop

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
Unless you plan on shelling out so serious money for a UPS (i'm talking 1000+) you won't get anything that would run your light for even an hr. UPS are made to prevent power cycles from power spikes. Flashes on and off. Most people/companies that need something running for a long time with no power use generators or solar/batteries.

Also not to mention why? If the power goes out you will be fine. I've lost power for over 72 hr's in my spot before. If you are super concerned with the cycle (which 72 hr of dark isnt a huge deal) bust out a battery powered camping lantern until the power comes back on to keep the cycle.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
My buddy is an electrician and wired up a 12v backup power supply for his system. It has 6 deep cycle marine batteries on a solar panel and operates on a transfer switch so as soon as the power goes out the 12v system comes on.

It's mainly to run his aeroponic system though, That thing cant handle any power outage. But he also has a few LED's going to keep the photoperiod.

Not a cheap system to setup for just a tent though. Maybe just get a generator? That's what I use when power goes out. And it goes out a lot here in the winter.

BigCube

BigCube

I wonder if one could use a computer power back up to run a smaller led for your tent in case of power outage . There was a power outage a few weeks back and I know someone who's crop hermed on him after that. Would like to start planning for winters grow.

Any thoughts?

Sure as long as its rated to do so.
You'll have a hard time finding one that will run your light for any real amount of time. Would def cost less to make your own.

Or do what I did. Buy a 14 kw generac generator that runs on natural gas and fires up automatically if the power goes out. It was only like 5 grand.

Dan789

Dan789

that encourages me. Ive got a solar system I need to get put up and I probably could do what your buddy did.
The important factor to remember is the auto transfer switch. You don’t want to potentially kill some poor lineman who may be working on that line, if you’re generating and back feeding the grid...(with solar and generating systems...) just sayin. That’s why all solar installs use grid tied inverters, to operate.

hps4891

hps4891

Sure as long as its rated to do so.
You'll have a hard time finding one that will run your light for any real amount of time. Would def cost less to make your own.

Or do what I did. Buy a 14 kw generac generator that runs on natural gas and fires up automatically if the power goes out. It was only like 5 grand.
Oh man only 5 grand? Sign me up for 3 of them suckers!

basscaptain

basscaptain

That's a decent price for what it is. Even the 12v battery backup I mentioned is expensive, the batteries alone are almost $1500.
Best thing to do is get fork lift bat ,.... Even Good used ones still KICK azz over the marine deep cell........

Top Bottom