Power Question

• Thread starter Greengiant11
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
G

Greengiant11

i Have 26 1000 watt light going and they all run at 4.5 amp. Two 5 ton Ac units plus my house Ac

Is this 2 much for a 200 amp service

OldManRiver

OldManRiver

You're probably alright. 100 amps for lights. You can look at the circuit breakers for the AC units and figure out how much they draw(it'll be less than the rating of the breaker).

Dbear180

Dbear180

Your not an electrician, I suggest you shut yer mouth. You didnt even multiply the amps right, you were off by almost 4 lights. IF ANYONE EVER TELLS YOU "PROBABLY" WHEN IT COMES TO ELECTRICITY DO NOT LISTEN TO THEM! I guarantee you he does not know. Anybody who says maybe, or well see, or let's see how it goes, or probably, does not understand they are putting YOUR life in danger. 117!!!! PLUS 30amps PER AC IS 207 AMPS.... yeah you'll probably be ok... gtfo here cant even add & you wanna tell the guy hell probably be ok. Both of you are perfect examples of why we have electrical fires in grow spots.

G

Greengiant11

Your not an electrician, I suggest you shut yer mouth. You didnt even multiply the amps right, you were off by almost 4 lights. IF ANYONE EVER TELLS YOU "PROBABLY" WHEN IT COMES TO ELECTRICITY DO NOT LISTEN TO THEM! I guarantee you he does not know. Anybody who says maybe, or well see, or let's see how it goes, or probably, does not understand they are putting YOUR life in danger. 117!!!! PLUS 30amps PER AC IS 207 AMPS.... yeah you'll probably be ok... gtfo here cant even add & you wanna tell the guy hell probably be ok. Both of you are perfect examples of why we have electrical fires in grow spots.

Thanks man I appreciate the input. My electrician must of not been good at math ether becuz he said I would be good.

Dbear180

Dbear180

Thanks man I appreciate the input. My electrician must of not been good at math ether becuz he said I would be good.

I mean if your not running everything at once (say like two rooms on a flip schedule) you will be ok. But if your running all of that theres no way. Sorry I ranted, kinda caught me in a mood lol.

G

Greengiant11

I mean if your not running everything at once (say like two rooms on a flip schedule) you will be ok. But if your running all of that theres no way. Sorry I ranted, kinda caught me in a mood lol.

Your fine. I know running to much power is dangerous to me and other around me. So I was making sure. If I was ok. Do u think if I turned like 10 lights on 400 Watts I’d be good

Dbear180

Dbear180

Your fine. I know running to much power is dangerous to me and other around me. So I was making sure. If I was ok. Do u think if I turned like 10 lights on 400 Watts I’d be good

You'll need a dedicated 50 amps for 10 lights, 60 amps would be better, gives you just a lil more buffer zone before that breaker is on the verge of flipping.

G

Greengiant11

I have three 8 lighting controllers. Each on there own 50 amp breakers. My main breaker is popping. None of the lighting controllers r.

Dbear180

Dbear180

If your whole house is losing power you may have a major issue. I would call a licensed electrician to check it out. It could be a combination of things.
A bad connection on a major appliance is arcing causing it to get hot & flip.
You have a short circuit in your panel
Your main breaker could be going bad
Your feeders from the power pole may have a bad connection in the panel.

I would really have it looked at by a pro your other guy may have done some not so safe wiring.

Freshone

Freshone

Ill throw in my 2 cents,
26x4.5=117 amps,now add in a 20% safety factor=140 amps
5 ton ACs are usually rated at 40 amps but recommend 60amp breaker,lets just call it 50 amps Using the 20% safety factor so 2x50=100amps,so 240 amps PLUS the house,your way over.You can use a flipbox for the lights and run 1/2 at a time and cut your lighting amp draw in half but the ACs still run so your still at 170 amps WITHOUT the house or house AC.
Couple suggestions,
Always use a 20% safety factor on your circuits unless you want to burn shit down(probably why your popping breakers)
Dont worry about how many lights you have,worry about how manys amps you have to run them.
Make sure your wiring,main and subpanels are on point.
Personally id dedicate 50-75 amps for the house(-20% safety factor)=40-60 amps for the house and that leaves you with 125-150 amps for your grow (-20% safety factor) leaving 100-125 amps usable,Now how many lights and ACs can you run with that?

Jack og

Jack og

Supporter
Well if the main trips when lights are on, then either there is an undersized breaker and or bad neutral, having dedicated lines to each breaker should interrupt any overload provided it’s properly gauged. Now h whole house tripping out? Brother something is off, I’d suggest a good local electrical contractor pay u a visit ASAP. Till then, I’d suggest cutting back all use on the new system. Mains don’t arbitrarily pop. If they do something serious is wrong.

Jack og

Jack og

Supporter
Quick question? Did they guy that installed the contactors run an amp load test? Say turn on each and check and note what the load to each is? I’d say perhaps one bad ballast exists, it will pull “ more then designed” amps, would indicate what and where the draw is and what maybe causing this issue. You can do this easily with a amp meter, turn on one and see if that draws the right amps and or if the mains trip. . Likely u will find which one is causing the issue. Isolate and turn everything on and see if that stabilizes . If not then the incoming power maybe an issue. I’ve had a rental property that exhibited that issue , turned out to be a loose neutral from incoming side on the pole. But I do suggest a licensed electrician check it out. Don’t burn ya house down bro! !

Jack og

Jack og

Supporter
Yea watch the news, “ thc farmer forum members house up in flames”
Lol. I hope never to see that news bro! Scary that I actually known few folks that have burned their houses down due to too many lights or making bho! And smoking smh! Like really wtf:)

Freshone

Freshone

Yea watch the news, “ thc farmer forum members house up in flames”
Lol. I hope never to see that news bro! Scary that I actually known few folks that have burned their houses down due to too many lights or making bho! And smoking smh! Like really wtf:)
Only reason i responded is because my kids a fireman and rolls on growfires daily,sometimes more than one,always electrical.

G

Greengiant11

Ya I’m gonna have someone take a look at it. It was running fine with 21 lights but I just added another lighting controller with 5 more lights. It ran for about a hour then popped the main power breaker. The main breaker was pretty hot also.

G

Greengiant11

Quick question? Did they guy that installed the contactors run an amp load test? Say turn on each and check and note what the load to each is? I’d say perhaps one bad ballast exists, it will pull “ more then designed” amps, would indicate what and where the draw is and what maybe causing this issue. You can do this easily with a amp meter, turn on one and see if that draws the right amps and or if the mains trip. . Likely u will find which one is causing the issue. Isolate and turn everything on and see if that stabilizes . If not then the incoming power maybe an issue. I’ve had a rental property that exhibited that issue , turned out to be a loose neutral from incoming side on the pole. But I do suggest a licensed electrician check it out. Don’t burn ya house down bro! !

No he didn’t. I’m gonna try that out tomorrow thanks.

Latest posts

Top Bottom