Ppm runoff high

• Thread starter Leelandgrow3
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Leelandgrow3

Leelandgrow3

So this morning I watered just newts checked my ppms it was 2350ppm so I did a gallon of ph'd water to flush some out and I got it down to 1750ppms should I lower my newts a little I use 2 tsp of tiger bloom, 2 tsp of grow big but my plants are thriving good I just dont want to lock them out the ppms going in I make sure are under 1200ppm could some of that be soil to

Last edited:
JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
Do a slurry test. Runoff data in soil is useless. A slurry test allows you to collect a soil sample and test what is in that sample. You will get a much better reading and have actual data you can utilize moving forward.

You can test ph and ppm using slurry tests. It’s easy to do and reliable.

Leelandgrow3

Leelandgrow3

Never did a slurry test before can u explain. Or do I grab some soil and put it in a little water and test ph of that and ppms of that?

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
Sorta. Basically it’s 2:1 water to soil. Use distilled or RO water. Mix it up for a few mins and let it sit for 10-15 mins. Stir it again and test it with your meter. I have a step by step guide on here with pics if needed.

Leelandgrow3

Leelandgrow3

Sorta. Basically it’s 2:1 water to soil. Use distilled or RO water. Mix it up for a few mins and let it sit for 10-15 mins. Stir it again and test it with your meter. I have a step by step guide on here with pics if needed.
Step by step guide please thank u

Leelandgrow3

Leelandgrow3

She looks good notice that other plant gone no boys allowed lol

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter

az2000

az2000

Runoff data in soil is useless.

You keep saying that. But, North Carolina State University disagrees. NCSU Pour-Through Extraction Method. (<<link)

If you're going to keep saying that, you could at least explain how a university is all wrong.

You can test ph and ppm using slurry tests.

How does the "slurry" test work when salts are built up deep in the soil, but the sample comes from the top 1"?

I have a soil ph probe (not a cheap one). I find different parts of the soil have different pH. I assume this represents higher salt buildup. Or, pockets that haven't dried as much (remain more wet, become more acidic). I don't see how the "slurry" test would measure that.

I can see how slurry test is good for new soil. But, once a plant's grown into soil, the only way to get an average of all the soil (that I can imagine) is the pour-through method. You let a certain amount of water saturate the soil for a period of time (to pickup the soil's characteristics), and then pour enough additional to get a sample (without diluting it more than necessary).

Leelandgrow3

Leelandgrow3

I say she is okay imma just cut the newts down never checked the ppm till today and the boy I took out of room today I checked his roots before I tore him down nice and healthy roots no bad tips I did add a 1tsp of Epsom salt to my newts just curious but some times curiosity kills the cat lol today is first full week of flower going to week two happy growing

az2000

az2000

I use 2 tsp of tiger bloom, 2 tsp of grow big

Mixing the bottles that way creates a 1-1.5-1 ratio, 570ppm. By my standards, that's pretty low N (as a proportion to everything else) for that stage of growth. I think you run a risk of yellowing. But, it's also about twice the strength of what I feed. If you fed that strong with higher N, you'd probably get N-tox. So, it could be a good balance that way.

Your runoff ppms sound high to me. But, I don't know if that's a universal metric. It sounds like some soils can have high ppm runoff without any problems like lockout. My soil is light/airy with very little nutrients built into it. Almost everything it gets is poured in. For me, runoff ppms are significant, and 2300 would be on the verge of lockout. (But, I've seen others with 5000pm runoff and no problems. Apparently not all "parts (per million)" are equal.).

Leelandgrow3

Leelandgrow3

That's what I was thinking cause the growing just keep growing lol so I just let her do her thing

Leelandgrow3

Leelandgrow3

But the natural water ppm included which regular tap water mine it 147 ppm so I will just watch her grow

az2000

az2000

That's what I was thinking cause the growing just keep growing lol so I just let her do her thing

When did you switch to 12/12? If that was recent, the plant will stretch. The amount/quality of light can affect that. (If you're still in stretch, the NPK ratio is to high P. Sometimes people think 12/12 means different nutes, different light color, etc. But, it's essentially still vegging. It won't be in flower for 10 days or so. Changing the light to warm can make the stretch worse. Reducing N can cause yellowing. But, the strength your feeding probably mitigates that.).

az2000

az2000

Stretching a inch a night no deficiencies yet

Another 5-7 days of that. More blue-dominant light can reduce that (if you don't like it).

I've never done this, but I've read that the diodes in LED lighbulbs (or, any fixture) emit blue light. A coating of phosphors is what causes it to glow a different (warmer) color. My next grow, I want to scrape the coating off and see if the raw blue light is useful. (It should be more light. Not sure about the spectrum though. If it's very blue, it might be good for stretch. I don't like stretch, too much.).

ChikiPox

ChikiPox

So this morning I watered just newts checked my ppms it was 2350ppm so I did a gallon of ph'd water to flush some out and I got it down to 1750ppms should I lower my newts a little I use 2 tsp of tiger bloom, 2 tsp of grow big but my plants are thriving good I just dont want to lock them out the ppms going in I make sure are under 1200ppm could some of that be soil to

Hello!

Be careful with FOX FARM O.F. If not mixing with anything else. Is heavy in nutrients sometimes with seedlings, it depends the quality of your seeds + strain sometimes.
Once I got 2 lockouts with 1 strain (blue dream home-made seeds), but the rest was pretty fine all from quality brands.

With no extra nuts, O.F. can handle almost 2 months without adding extra nuts in veg. I've tried this with at least 6 strains with very similar results (Indica, Sativa and hybrids).
I add in week 6-8 of veg. 2.5ml/gal. of General Organics Veg. the first time and next week 5ml/gal. The week before switch to bloom i'm adding 2.5ml of Veg nuts + 2.5ml/gal. of bloom nuts before switch. Never exceeding 900ppm. with RO water.

In mid-bloom I got a lockout because the plants were hungry, but only got nutrient burn by exceeding 1200 ppm in one fed.
So I flushed and divide de intake on nuts in half. Less nutrients 2 times a week. With better results.

I start feeding when yellow leaves appear. Because the acidity growing in your medium if it contains a lot of organic stuff.
Talking about 4 months of grow max. More time I recommend dry nutrients with slow release.

In bloom is just be gentle. Know your plants!
But is just my experience. Hope everything goes like a charm. Looks great tho!

Top Bottom