PPMs - Who,what,where,when, WHY ?

• Thread starter GarrPhunk
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
GarrPhunk

GarrPhunk

Hello
I’m new here
I have several SFV OG going and I believe that my plants are suffering from high ppm . I just started checking it in both input and run out and it’s way high - way!
The plants looked get to me but I was concerned that the buds weren’t growing fat.
anyhow I started watering to ppm amd now the girls look like they need more nutes???
Help !!!
The Grow :
SFV OG
Coco Loco
FF trio
CalMag
lil Molasses
Lil Si
5gal fabric
4 VS 1000 LEDs
First ever attempt at SCROG
Any insight would be appreciated
Thanks y’all !
Ppms   whowhatwherewhen why
Ppms   whowhatwherewhen why 2
Ppms   whowhatwherewhen why 3

GarrPhunk

GarrPhunk

To clarify - the room has 4 going
The larger is 1 plant (pic 2)- maybe the reason I’m not seeing the results I was hoping for ????

Allegedly

Allegedly

Sorry I just saw you say you were watering to ppm, so I was curious what ppm your input is and what ph? Have you check runoff ppm and ph? If so what are they?

GarrPhunk

GarrPhunk

Going into wk 4
(COCO LOCO)
So the first runoff’s I check last wk were crazy high so I flushed
They started at 6000+ upto 15k ????AGAIN ABSOLUTELY NO SIGN OF ANY BURN - just slow again IMO
I got them down between 1100-2000
Run off PH was low 5.3 -5.5 before flush they are now 6.2 ish
I have water them with FF trio as direction state (but have given nutes more frequently than directed several times)at 6.3 without checking ppm up to this point
Now I’m trying to ppm around 1300 - just started last watering so no result yet.
But again she looks pretty good
So not sure if it’s a nute issue or not???

Allegedly

Allegedly

Well I asked because ppms will go up in coco as it dries, so I wasn't sure how long you were going between feedings. To me they look like they get too much nitrogen, toxicity possibly. I say that due to to very dark green color, the downward tacoing on some leaves, and the tip down claw. So I was wondering what your Inputs were because you should probably start cutting back on nitrogen this far in flower.

Allegedly

Allegedly

I meant to mention a website that's a great resource for coco growers. It's worth checking out and has helped me more than a couple times. cocoforcannabis

Screenshot 20210816 115041 Chrome
GarrPhunk

GarrPhunk

Thanks Allegedly
I let them dry out pretty good - almost to droop, I been going on the weight. When they are really light I water. It’s been 3 days between usually, a couple spurts of every other day but by day 3 they are really light

Tracyfri

Tracyfri

Thanks Allegedly
I let them dry out pretty good - almost to droop, I been going on the weight. When they are really light I water. It’s been 3 days between usually, a couple spurts of every other day but by day 3 they are really light
You know that is why your ppm's skyrocketed right? From letting the coco dry out? Don't mean to be captain obvious sry if I missed something ✌️

Tracyfri

Tracyfri

Things not what you expect etc? Dry backs in coco would be the source of all your issues. There's a bunch of info on this site about how to water coco in case you need it.👍👍 It will make or break things.

Allegedly

Allegedly

Thanks Allegedly
Letting them dry out isn't the best idea with coco, it cause
You know that is why your ppm's skyrocketed right? From letting the coco dry out? Don't mean to be captain obvious sry if I missed something
He mentioned it had been around 30 years since his last real grow so I had assumed hes brand new to coco. But I agree with you on the PPM.

Allegedly

Allegedly

Thanks Allegedly
ok cool, thats probably your biggest issue. You shouldnt treat coco like soil,. Coco can be fed every day and should be to make sure your plants are getting proper nutrition and to avoid huge ppm swings from the coco drying out. daily fertigation with 10-20% runoff every time also keeps the salts flushed so you can avoid a nasty build up.
(edit: you dont HAVE to water every day, the plant wont up and die on you, just dont let the pot dry out too much because the dryer it get the worse the problem is gonna be especially if its repeated.

Tracyfri

Tracyfri

Watering with 15-20% runoff each time you water is what keeps the salts from accumulating. Most folks do multiple waterings per day in coco. As the nutrient solution flows through the pot and out the bottom it pulls more o2 into the root zone with it. That's how people get away with the coco being constantly saturated. In this state it takes much less solution to produce the required runoff. I'm just getting the hang of it.✌️

GarrPhunk

GarrPhunk

Hey
Thanks guys !!!!
That’s the biggest confusion I have
Coco Loco - soil or coco ???
I have read that after the initial additive products have depleted it’s more like coco
Not being sure and not realizing that I had issues - I was treating it like soil
Definitely been awhile and def didn’t have coco back in the day
- but we grew Dank Ass Nug in hot ass closets !!!! So having all the resources that are available today is shocking !!!!
We had to hide like criminals !
Anyhow - I certainly appreciate any and all advice
- mind you I ain’t going to going changing my shit every other day based on that info but will damn sure research and adjust based on everyone’s input.
hopefully keeping more water in pots will help.
Im still confused on PPM :
So what I think I’m hearing is nute to PPM or EC and forget about the FF recommended feeding rate?
Should I nute more often to maintain the level of nutes they recommend?
I did read the SFV OG loved lots nutes
Again - I really appreciate you guys taking time to check out the grow and give the advice !!!!!

Allegedly

Allegedly

Hey
Thanks guys !!!!
That’s the biggest confusion I have
Coco Loco - soil or coco ???
I have read that after the initial additive products have depleted it’s more like coco
Not being sure and not realizing that I had issues - I was treating it like soil
Definitely been awhile and def didn’t have coco back in the day
- but we grew Dank Ass Nug in hot ass closets !!!! So having all the resources that are available today is shocking !!!!
We had to hide like criminals !
Anyhow - I certainly appreciate any and all advice
- mind you I ain’t going to going changing my shit every other day based on that info but will damn sure research and adjust based on everyone’s input.
hopefully keeping more water in pots will help.
Im still confused on PPM :
So what I think I’m hearing is nute to PPM or EC and forget about the FF recommended feeding rate?
Should I nute more often to maintain the level of nutes they recommend?
I did read the SFV OG loved lots nutes
Again - I really appreciate you guys taking time to check out the grow and give the advice !!!!!
Coco Loco does have organic ingredients like bat guano, dolomite lime and other stuff which will be broken down slowely by the added mycorrhizae. That should all be depleted by now though i would think.
I recommend just a triple washed and buffered coco with perlite mix (right now im using mother earths brand and i like it so far). I add in mycorrhizae on my own every couple weeks. the website i recommended can really help understand EC/PPM.
PPM is important because you need to stay low enough that theres a good water to nutrient ratio and youre not just poisoning the plant. Where it gets a little tricky if youre new to it is...stay in the range but at the right ratio. For example youre growing in coco and the coco itself wants to hold on to your cal mag which in turn doesnt let the plant get what it needs. so you add cal mag to every feed and make sure the coco gets its share so the plant will too. now that being said you have to allot X ppm to calmag, then youre left with X for anything else so you need to factor that in.
If youre looking for an easier way yet, i recommend looking into the Lucas formula, if you need help i can direct you for that also. I use a modified method which involves just using GH MaxiBloom and CalMag as my only real nutrients throughout the entire grow. a youtuber named Bill Ward does an AMAZING job with this method. the Lucas method is basically the same but uses 2 of the GH 3 part.
im sorry if that was kinda lengthy and incoherent, i have to much to say to try and get it typed sometimes.

GarrPhunk

GarrPhunk

Hey TY !!!
I just can’t get it straight is Coco Loco to be treated like soul or Coco?? They ( FF ) say soil - but my results would say they ain’t correct???
Not that they looking bad just not Producing like I have past experience with.
I def appreciate you and everyone taking time to respond
With a bunch more started flowering at different stages I’d like to remedy the watering situation ASAP - one low yield I can live with - 3 in a row is going to hurt ! Lol
Thanks again

GarrPhunk

GarrPhunk

BTW
Watering plants in the late 80s was easy
DYNA GRO and let it go !!!!
I wouldn’t have thought it would give me such a fit
- makes me wonder what those plants back in the day would produce had we know all this !!!!!
🤯
😁😁😁

Allegedly

Allegedly

It just depends on how you wanna do it coco and growing cannabis in general seems like it can be as hard as you want to make it.
Ok so back to the coco, it can be grown in like soil, using organic dry amendments, organic teas, and the organic all in one fertilizers can be used with it. Before I went back to bottled nutes I was using coco Loco and amending it with Roots Organics terp tea, then feeding teas and plain water through the grow. I also used real growers recharge for the mycos, with that method I never watered to run off and would water when the pot would start to dry out, still don't let the coco dry out too much or the mycorizai struggles and the plants starve. In this method you're counting on your beneficial fungus to break down organic material and trade it to the plants for sugars, like soil. A great resource to learn this style would be a youtuber named "Mr. Canucks Grow" he's very informative, his videos edits are professional in my opinion and it's quality content.

Texasdigger35

Texasdigger35

Well I asked because ppms will go up in coco as it dries.
Wouldn't this apply to all medias?
As water in media decreases concentration of nutrients etc would become higher. And at certain dryness point it would precipitate out. I guess my question boils down to what's the difference between increasing ppm in soil vs coco. Im always seeing recommendations to let it dry out n water less (soil). Is it really not overeatering but a lack of oxygen and solution to their problem should be to make a less dense soil mix?

Last edited:
Top Bottom