PPMs - Who,what,where,when, WHY ?

• Thread starter GarrPhunk
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Allegedly

Allegedly

Wouldn't this apply to all medias?
As water in media decreases concentration of nutrients etc would become higher. And at certain dryness point it would precipitate out. I guess my question boils down to what's the difference between increasing ppm in soil vs coco. Im always seeing recommendations to let it dry out n water less (soil). Is it really not overeatering but a lack of oxygen and solution to their problem should be to make a less dense soil mix?
I don't have experience with a soil grow but I say that makes sense to me. But don't most soil growers use organics? I'm not sure how you flush salt residue from soil to keep the buildup from becoming a problem so I'm curious now as well.
And I don't think a less dense soil mix is the OPs solution, as his current mix isn't soil, it's a lightly amended coco mix.

Texasdigger35

Texasdigger35

I don't have experience with a soil grow but I say that makes sense to me. But don't most soil growers use organics? I'm not sure how you flush salt residue from soil to keep the buildup from becoming a problem so I'm curious now as well.
And I don't think a less dense soil mix is the OPs solution, as his current mix isn't soil, it's a lightly amended coco mix.
Yeah, nothing to do w op. I was just reasoning through that thought.
And I do use salts in a coco soil/sphagum mix. Not organics besides some initial ammendments. It helps me control the bugs. Too many critters love the organics and I like knowing precisely whats going in.
Just a thought. Maybe I'll start a new thread or look for an old one thanks.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

Growing in coco your pH should be 5.5
You should really read this:
Watering COCO

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

ppm = Parts Per Million. You measure the ppm of the food/water combo before giving it to the plants.
Then you feed them and measure the ppms of the runoff. How much did they eat? If your out numbers climb higher than your in numbers...flush.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

Because there is no residue in organic growing. Flushing only starves the plant. The soil IS the food.

GarrPhunk

GarrPhunk

Logical thought process Tex
I hadn’t thought about it but makes sense. I open rm#2 today after watering with PPM’d nutes
- not happy
They are not happy
Still look good color wise but droop and moist at surface level
- they usually are dry in top next day
While F-N things confusing
But the plants looks good so it’s even more confusing
- less than expected yields are the norm I would imagine so I’m not beating myself up but would like to iron out the H2O issues for future grows
- I still think my problem stems from how to water the “ Coco Loco “ - apt name - gonna drive me f-n crazy fo sho !!!!

GarrPhunk

GarrPhunk

“ComfortablyNumb” - I get the given at the ppm range
I don’t get how to give same amount nutes without diluting
- is it that the manufacturers recommend too much ?
if I make the given recipe in a gal ppms way high
Should I vary what goes into the water each time to keep ppm in range or give less nutes ?
I’m a newb to ph and ppm
And can’t grasp how to give the proper (recommended) nutes and balance ppm
BTW to all - I am on swallow well water
It comes in at an avg. 200 ppm
And ph of an avg 5.7
Fox Farm trio, cal mag, Si . And occasional molasses
And for the record - I’d give my left nut for some Skunk #1 seed clone - flower !! Right now !!!!
🤞

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

I do not grow hydro. I understand how it's done, but I have no experience with it.

Normally, you mix the nutes in the water, then water the plants.
The charts with very few exceptions are the top limit of what you can give your plant without killing it outright. Cut those numbers by 50% right off.

Texasdigger35

Texasdigger35

Logical thought process Tex
I hadn’t thought about it but makes sense. I open rm#2 today after watering with PPM’d nutes
- not happy
They are not happy
Still look good color wise but droop and moist at surface level
- they usually are dry in top next day
While F-N things confusing
But the plants looks good so it’s even more confusing
- less than expected yields are the norm I would imagine so I’m not beating myself up but would like to iron out the H2O issues for future grows
- I still think my problem stems from how to water the “ Coco Loco “ - apt name - gonna drive me f-n crazy fo sho !!!!
Sorry Op.
My question didn't really relate to your grow. I was only thinking through one of the comments. These guys tend to be on top of the game n id take their advice about your particular issues regarding watering and dryness and ph.

The only thing I can add is that the plants dont look bad. They actually look really nice n green. Its a lil concerning being that green half into flower. You can start drooping/tapering N down lower at this point... like alot and that should help reduce your ppms. Whether it's specifically lower N or the ratio of your total feed is up to u and what you use. Sfog does start to fatten up slightly later than some others and isn't a super giant yielded. I've not grown it so don't know what that strain is expected to put off in a plant that size.

Last edited:
ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

Also, you very likely do not need it, but a basic water filter to remove any possible issues before they happen is a great investment. It's peace of mind.
Something like this:

2021 06 23 20 04 02
ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

Yes, your feed numbers will vary a bit, but you will learn how much each strain wants over time.

GarrPhunk

GarrPhunk

ComfortablyNumb ( or anyone else ) - from the pix can you see issues???
Just curious
Like I have said it’s been awhile since my last grow.
But until the slow progress & then the clawing I had no idea there was a problem.
It’s a labor of love and I am just getting started again after 30 years - things have improved 1000% since then and this sites just one example. It’s great to reach out to a community and find answers and get help along the way.
I appreciate it !
✌️

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

Just get your pH down to 5.5 and your issue should vanish.

GarrPhunk

GarrPhunk

UPDATE :
Watered last night, I did not let it dry out even half way, lowered ph to 6 (from 6.3) in feed solution ppm 850ish
And the reaction is good !
Ty guys
Couple days weeny it down hopefully in time to get some weigh on.
F5AE23A8 4414 42E1 9299 BC5F0F1A49AA
64AF0541 0739 471E A46F 2121C18CE1D3

Allegedly

Allegedly

Just get your pH down to 5.5 and your issue should vanish.
with him being halfway through flower I dont recommend dropping ph to 5.5 and here is why. this is an example I dont know if this chart is 100% accurate but its a very close representation if not. if he drops his ph to 5.5 and stays there hell lock himself out of phosphorous and magnesium. 5.8 is pretty much the sweet spot for veg, then you bounce around 5.8-6.2 or so throughout flower. If you havent seen one of these charts Garrphunk, its a great tool to use with your other tools to make sure youre staying within the right zones based on the media you chose to grow in. I still refer back to these when i have a brain fart or a problem i need to brain storm.

Nutrient Chart2

Allegedly

Allegedly

I might add, dont worry about leaves that already got messed up because they wont go back to normal, and will just look crazy till theyre off the plant. no big deal. Your grow looks good honestly youre not murdering them and its important to remember youre only week 4 of flower and all the exciting fattening up then ripening is still to come, just get it in control and youre off to the races. just watch the nitrogen :)

growsince79

growsince79

Hello
I’m new here
I have several SFV OG going and I believe that my plants are suffering from high ppm . I just started checking it in both input and run out and it’s way high - way!
The plants looked get to me but I was concerned that the buds weren’t growing fat.
anyhow I started watering to ppm amd now the girls look like they need more nutes???
Help !!!
The Grow :
SFV OG
Coco Loco
FF trio
CalMag
lil Molasses
Lil Si
5gal fabric
4 VS 1000 LEDs
First ever attempt at SCROG
Any insight would be appreciated
Thanks y’all !View attachment 1157929View attachment 1157930View attachment 1157931
PPM means absolutely nothing with cocoloco. My last bag read 3000 runoff new. Comparing organics to bottles is apples and oranges.

growsince79

growsince79

Cocoloco is not straight coco. I've seen lots of botched grows on this site from people trying to water it like straight coco.

Allegedly

Allegedly

PPM means absolutely nothing with cocoloco. My last bag read 3000 runoff new. Comparing organics to bottles is apples and oranges.
hes 4 weeks into flower and using salt based nutes though. anything organic in the cocoloco should have been ate up well before flower even started, it isnt soil and it isnt charged to grow without additives for very long.
(edit: didnt consider he probably transplanted up before flower)

Top Bottom