Predatory Insects

• Thread starter Prestige
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Coir

Coir

Here is what an aphid(not a root aphid) looks like. They are much larger than mites, shed their exoskeleton, and leave behind a sticky "honeydew" on the leaves. This one is being attacked by a predatory insect that bites them on the knee and injects a toxin into them causing paralysis, then they drain them of all their internal fluids. You can see an exoskeleton and an immature aphid as well.

M6C4818
Prestige

Prestige

I have Aphids.... This is worst than when I caught crabs... Lol, jk!...Crabs were worse, lol! Got jokes today.

Prestige

Prestige

Thanks, Coir! That looks similar to what I saw, if memory serves. What predator would you recommend for Aphids? Is it one size fits all or do I have to get a species for both root aphids and... regular aphids? Sorry, not very good with bug terminology/identification.

justanotherbozo

justanotherbozo

...here's a link where i'd bet you dollars against donuts if you did a search for 'aphids' they would gladly tell you which of their predators wouild serve you best, ...then come back here and verify what you are told before spending you money although i'd expect the folks at Evergreen Growers would tell you straight.

Evergreen Growers Supply

peace, bozo

Prestige

Prestige

Thanks man, I'll check it out right after I finish doing a search on the nutes you use. Lol, I am actually reading another one of your posts about Jack's Pro. Damn iPhone, can only have 8 tabs open at a time.

justanotherbozo

justanotherbozo

here ya go man, i use 1/4 teaspoon of the base 5-12-26 amd another 1/4 teaspoon of the calcium nitrate, both are listed on the left side of the page and if you get the 25lb bags of each it'll cost you a bit more than a c-note to have both delivered to your door.

Jack's Pro Hydro

...i've been using mine for about 2 years now and i have enough for at least another 2 years so this stuff will not only give you great results, it'll do it for pennies a day. ...i love the stuff.

peace, bozo

Coir

Coir

Any of the listed bugs here will work. The image I shot is of Aphidoletes aphidimyza which I found to work best for me. These will only work on aphids that are living above the soil though. For root aphids, you will want a soil predator like Hypoaspis mites which you can also find on the Evergreen website.

Prestige

Prestige

Now, will the predatory bugs fight with one another? There was probably a more elegant way to say that, but I'm pretty medicated, atm. Lol

Coir

Coir

Now, will the predatory bugs fight with one another? There was probably a more elegant way to say that, but I'm pretty medicated, atm. Lol
Most predators are compatible as long as they have a good food source. Once they have eliminated the main source of food(bad bugs) they can become aggressive towards other Beneficial's or even cannibalistic which is not really a problem. The idea being that if there is no more of their normal food source, the problem is solved!

Prestige

Prestige

Okay, I think I want to go with a generalist predator like Orius Insidiosus, but I read that they eat plants sometimes and the site says they lay eggs in the leaves, 2 per day, per bug. I don't really have an infestation of anything, I just kinda want to get something for preventative measures, but something that will also eat all the ants, gnats and other miscellaneous bugs/insects. They aren't cheap, but if they can establish and keep me pest free, it is a very fair price.

cannapits

cannapits

Original Swamp Fam
Supporter
ive used predator bugs in the past with success. my question is if the cannabis is required to be tested before sold how high is the concern of predator bugs crapping in the weed lol? or do you just get the best nug and wash it lol? ok serious just wondering

Prestige

Prestige

Yes! That is exactly what I wanted to ask too! Because I heard the main problem with spider mites in your nug is that people don't want to smoke spider mite shit and corpses.

I'm thinking, if they go eat the spider mites, won't some of them get stuck in the nugs and shit all over them too? Hence the 'two evils' question.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I think it was Coir who posted that they move away from the buds after they've eaten all the available food, gone in search of more I believe.

Prestige

Prestige

Obviously people use them without any negative effects. These guys know what they're talking about, so I'm just gonna go for it.

Coir

Coir

One thing to remember is that with any of the Beneficial's, early introduction is key. Daily monitoring of your crop can not be replaced with an instant cure once it's too late. I am constantly amazed when I see plants that are almost finished covered in webs and the grower is just then realizing there might be a problem. IF you stay on top of things and get them under control long before it ever gets to that point, you will never even know you had the beneficial insects on your plants. Like most things, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure or in this case, it might be worth pounds of cure!

Prestige

Prestige

'Like most things, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure or in this case, it might be worth pounds of cure!'

Lol! Love it.

justanotherbozo

justanotherbozo

...Coir is dead on, if you wait until your plants look like this it is WAY too late.

peace, bozo

Prestige

Prestige

I finally got a picture of one! It moved kinda fast and was on my leg. I was trying to get my damn camera to work and could only get 1 picture before I lost it. Pissed me off.

Top Bottom