Predatory Insects

• Thread starter Prestige
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Prestige

Prestige

Okay, so we found a big black spider with like a white triangle or stripe on its back. I think I saw white, anyways. My gurl says it is all black, but I got way closer to it than she did (she's scared of bugs). About the size of a nickel, a bit bigger.

My question; is this what they grow-up to be/get like? They are so tiny, how can they possibly get so large?!

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Depends totally on the species. Most jumpers are rather small, like pinky nail size small. Like other animals wearing an exoskeleton, they grow by shedding it.

Prestige

Prestige

Hey, just wanted to say thanks for answering all my questions and being so helpful! It is nice to have some bug/insect experts in the house!

@Seamaiden my buddy, @Toroa , is a big fan of your TLO style and is currently in the process of learning TLO and making his own mix. If you see him around, please do give him some TLO and soil-web tips.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I've seen some of his posts, the cat in SoCal who does year-round, right? I'm very glad to help, I love seeing others succeed.

Prestige

Prestige

That's him! I got him into this incredible hobby/passion and now he is at a point where I don't have much else to teach him. I don't know much about TLO, but I do know your the person to talk to about it.

Prestige

Prestige

Hey, anyone reading this, feel free to post here and ask your bug questions or post some informative info.

Prestige

Prestige

I've seen some of his posts, the cat in SoCal who does year-round, right? I'm very glad to help, I love seeing others succeed.
Yea, he is new to the Farm, so doesn't quite feel comfortable with reaching-out to people yet.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
That's him! I got him into this incredible hobby/passion and now he is at a point where I don't have much else to teach him. I don't know much about TLO, but I do know your the person to talk to about it.
Soil food web is how I learned it and like to think of it. My background helps, too, but.. yeah, Teaming With Microbes, man!

Prestige

Prestige

I have some experience with coir..... ask away.

How well does coir drain? Compared to say, rockwool? I want to set my drippers to feed every hour but still use coco. Is that even an option?

I'm hand watering, atm, but am converting to drippers. DTW. My plan, as of now, is to hand water thru veg until they are rootbound in 2-3 gallon airpots (probably 2.2 gal) and hook them up to drippers and feed as often as possible.

Coir

Coir

How well does coir drain? Compared to say, rockwool? I want to set my drippers to feed every hour but still use coco. Is that even an option?

I'm hand watering, atm, but am converting to drippers. DTW. My plan, as of now, is to hand water thru veg until they are rootbound in 2-3 gallon airpots (probably 2.2 gal) and hook them up to drippers and feed as often as possible.
It drains well but it does hold more water than rockwool in my experience. As long as you have good drainage away from the pots, then overwatering is not a problem other than wasting a lot of water and nutrients. I water based on the plants needs and that depends on the size of the plant, size of container, day length, temperature, and humidity. I also adjust my feed strength by checking runoff. I am constantly adjusting my irrigation cycles and concentration of nutrients based on those parameters as it is the most cost efficient. In an ideal situation, you would achieve about 30% runoff over the day and ppm's and pH would remain constant. You can probably get close to that with a lot of checking at first and making adjustments and taking notes as you go along. No need to feed young plants every hour and in fact, you might not need to feed them for several days at a time in the beginning of the cycle. Let the plants tell you what they need by checking the coir every day for moisture and then when you do water, check the runoff to be sure you are not over or under feeding. I like to pre charge my coir with full strength nutrient before planting and then carefully monitor the levels for the first couple of weeks. I find that most people under feed at the beginning and end up with a lot of yellowing leaves and stunted growth because the plants are starving. I only run my veg phase for 3 weeks with newly planted clones in my tent because any longer and they get way too big. I use 6 plants in a 5x5 tent and they are wall to wall in no time.

Prestige

Prestige

I had that problem with my very first coco run. Hit them with a full dose of calmag every other feeding or so and I have never had the problem since.

What ppms do you go in at? I'll be running OG varietals.

Coir

Coir

I use my own food formulation and it goes against just about everything I have seen here but I run my nutrients around 2000ppm(442 standards) in both veg and flower. This gives me the exact ppm of each element based on the ratios I mix my food at. My well water is absent of most elements and is very soft which makes it ideal for growing. I never have to adjust pH when growing in coir. I use plain water the last week before harvest but it's probably not necessary other than saving a bit on nutes. The patient I provide for has never been happier.

Top Bottom