Preparing BHO for topical application?

• Thread starter Trillion
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
R

redhotTI

lol the 2nd option, its actually reclaim not bho, rly stoned i guess i chose the wrong thread lol

Graywolf

Graywolf

Graywolf awesome post buddy. thanks for the info. ever tried to make chapstick?

No but adding beeswax would probably thicken it up enough to use for a lip balm.

I know someone who makes medicated lip balm, so let me check and see what she adds.

JD

Graywolf

Graywolf

I got sweet Potionmaker's recipe, but it is in a format that I can’t open, so while I sort that out, you might check out the forum at Newdirectionsaromatics.com.

That is where I usually pick up my essential oils and notice that on their forum under cosmetics recipes, I found a number of lip balm recipes, but for instance, here is a typical one:

Lip Balm RECIPE:

50 g Mango Butter
15 g Olive Butter
15 g Jojoba Oil
40 g Sweet Almond Oil
30 g Beeswax

Flavor to taste (We recommend 3 – 5 %, our staff is partial to our Cherry Flavor).

Weigh all your ingredients together in a suitable container and melt in the microwave. Add flavor and pour in small jars.

This recipe makes about a dozen lip balms.

As there is nothing listed that BHO is not soluble in, except the cherry flavor, I would pick an appealing recipe and just add as much BHO as is required to get the potency that you desire.

Since I have also been wanting to try my hand at medicated lip balm, I’ll put together a batch as soon as I can snag the ingredients and let you know how it turns out.

I will use a hot oil bath instead of the microwave, to avoid microwaves degradation of the cannabinoids, but otherwise choose a recipe and just add BHO.

Beeswax is what gives this mix stiffness and sweet almond oil its soupiness, so after I add the BHO and the mixture cools, if the viscosity needs to be adjusted, I will re-heat it and add one of those two to adjust consistency.

If you beat me to it, please let me know how yours turns out.

GW

Graywolf

Graywolf

Potion Maker's medicated lip balm

Here is our beloved PotionMaker's recipe for medicated lip balm.

Happy testing!

GW

PotionMaker’s Honey Lip Balm

Ingredients

• 1 cup sweet almond oil (or any combination of olive, jojoba, almond, etc.)

• 1/2 cup grated beeswax

• 2 Tablespoons honey

• 6-8 drops Cannabis Honey Oil

• 1/4 tsp. Vitamin E (2 capsules)
Directions

Place almond oil and beeswax in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on high for 1 minute or until mixture melts. Whisk honey and honey oil into beeswax mixture; stir well.

Set aside to cool slightly, then pour into small containers with lids. Apply to lips as needed.

Makes about 1 and 1/2 cups.

true grit

true grit

Anyone ever use Shea butter? I've found this in some of the soaps/topicals used for psoriasis and I was considering using it and adding oil...

J

Jsän

i have used a shea butter/canna product.
no idea on its recipe tho bro.
just that the shit really works.

quick thought would be that iso extract would probably be better than butane though.
viscosity being the reason. trying to work BHO into shea seems like a bitch. (heat?? maybe.) where with ISO you could just evaporate the extraction to the right consistency, work in the shea small doses at a time.. then let stand to unify.

you have me wondering now. ill let you know when i find out.

true grit

true grit

Indeed, heat will most def be needed. I picked up some Shea/Cocoa butter today, I'll whip some up tonite or tomorrow and let ya know what I find.

Ive used shea butter soap bars etc for some time for with great results, just figured this might be an application that could get rid of it for good (for the most part since it starts from the same patches).

J

Jsän

one of my girls has psoriasis that we tried the shea/canna products on.
(both Mo' Batti's and rub'a'dub from here in Sac)
while they both seemed to help soften the skin and lessen the flaking, but it was my observation that neither of the mentioned products possessed enough active ingredients to 'cure' the condition. (though they did work wonders for stiff muscles)

the effects were promising enough to warrant trying a 'therapeutic' dose though.

something along the lines of the recipe for 'pheonix tears' would work.. except folding in shea butter towards the end of the final cook off..

i would try a simple poultice/cataplasm first though...

sorry starting to babble.

BTW.. she has been having wonderful results with 2.5% Hydrocortizone creme. not what you really wanted but relief is relief.

Graywolf

Graywolf

I have done multiple google searches and searched through pages and pages of threads here and all I can find is speculation and no first hand reports.

Can someone who has had experience with an effective method of re-extracting BHO for topical application please chime in. If you or a close friend/relative has any experience please comment as this is rather urgent matter for me. I have recently convinced my father to stop taking a plethora of pain meds he was prescribed, he has incredibly sensitive scar tissue on his neck where he had multiple tumours removed and there is nothing I want more than to help him even a little, he doesn't want to get "high".

Any help is hugely appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Trillion

Yes, we routinely make topicals out of BHO. We make more than one, but here is our most potent, based on the Holy Anointing oil in Exodus:

10 grams decarboxylated BHO
8 grams virgin coconut oil
.7 grams cinnamon bark oil (New Directions Aromatics)
.7 gram cinnamon leaf oil ********
.7 gram liquid gum myrrh *********
3 grams Emu oil

Cannabis oil is transdermal, and penetrates the skin all by itself. Just a mixture of coconut oil and BHO will work as a topical pain reliever, but the above ingredients speed up the absorption rate.

FLB

FLB

yo grit take a small portion of the shea butter and heat up with double cooker to a liquid and add BHO, I use reclaim, its all ready to go at this stage and works. Mix really well and then you can cut it down to your preference with more shea. I use different mixes of essential oils mixed in as well.

true grit

true grit

Yeah ended up using a double boil method, heated shea/coco butter up to about 150-160 and mixed in bho. Went with about 1.5g bho/oz of shea butter. Been using it on my back today and it seems to work great. I didn't heat the bho above 150 or so, so am surprised its working this well. next time i will pre heat the bho to fully activate it before adding to shea butter. so far so good though, amazing how quickly it absorbs and goes to work.

Figures, never been happy with salve before...if ya want it to work, do it yourself i suppose. shoulda figured that by now...

Top Bottom