• Thread starter Cali smoke
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Cali smoke

Cali smoke

Prison Term for a Seller of Medical Marijuana

By SOLOMON MOORE
Published: June 12, 2009

LOS ANGELES — A federal judge on Thursday sentenced the owner of a marijuana dispensary to a year in prison, a sign that providers of medical marijuana still face the possibility of jail time despite the Obama administration’s promise not to prosecute them if they comply with state law.

In imposing his sentence on Charles C. Lynch, who ran a dispensary in the surfing hamlet of Morro, Judge George H. Wu said the changed federal policy did not directly affect his ruling. But the judge talked at length about what he said were Mr. Lynch’s many efforts to follow California’s laws on marijuana dispensaries and the difficulty the judge had finding a loophole to avoid sending him to prison.

“I find I cannot get around the one-year sentence,” Judge Wu said of federal sentencing laws.

The judge said he had reduced the sentence from a mandatory five years because Mr. Lynch had no criminal record or history of violence, and did not fit the strict definition of a “leader” of a criminal enterprise.

Mr. Lynch, 47, was convicted last summer on five federal counts in connection with the running of his dispensary and the selling of medical marijuana to customers under 21.

Legal experts said the case highlighted the conflict between state and federal laws on medical marijuana. Federal law prohibits the cultivation, sale and use of marijuana for medicinal purposes, but 13 states allow it. In prosecuting for medical marijuana, the Bush administration had considered only federal laws.

Advocates of medical marijuana said the Lynch case would have a chilling effect on activities and undermine state laws. At his trial, and again in seeking leniency in his sentence, Mr. Lynch argued that he had complied with California’s law, which allows certain uses of marijuana with a doctor’s prescription.

“He is caught between California’s voter-approved medical marijuana system and the Bush administration’s single-minded effort to smother it,” said Stephen Gutwillig of the Drug Policy Alliance, an organization that favors a change in drug policy. “That Attorney General Holder changed federal policy three months ago only makes this miscarriage of justice all the more disturbing. Charlie is like a forgotten prisoner of war, abandoned after a truce was declared.”

The United States attorney for the Central District of California, Thomas P. O’Brien, said Mr. Lynch had violated state laws because he was not his customers’ main caregiver and provided no medical services beyond the marijuana sale.

Matthew Miller, a Justice Department spokesman, said that as a general rule “we are not prioritizing federal resources to go after individuals or organizations unless there is a violation of both federal and state law.”

More than 100 marijuana dispensaries — most in California — have been raided since 1996, when California voters passed Proposition 215, which sanctioned medical marijuana. About half the raids resulted in prosecutions, and about a dozen owners received prison sentences.

There are now about 25 pending federal prosecutions of medical marijuana dispensaries, most in California, said Kris Hermes, a spokesman for Americans for Safe Access, a medical marijuana advocacy organization.

Among them is a case against Virgil Grant, whose dispensary was raided twice in 2007. He is scheduled to go on trial in the fall. But unlike Mr. Lynch, Mr. Grant has a criminal record and so faces at least 10 years in prison.

Most advocates of medical marijuana agreed that Mr. Lynch presented the best face for a movement that has tried to cast itself as mainstream — like yoga and herbal medicine — and distance itself from recreational drug use and advocates for legalization of marijuana.

Mr. Lynch’s defense lawyer, Reuven Cohen, said he planned to appeal the sentence.

The Marijuana State (Article video)

P

Papa_kush

bummer. We're gettin closer tho...

damn i love livin in cali

Delta-9 Labs

Delta-9 Labs

Breeder
Supporter
Keep up on the education and we will eventually overcome this nonsense. Afterall, the laws of every nation should come down to what the people want!

S

still smokin

delta-9 labs.....you hit it right on the nose with that statement.its my body and i WILL !!! do what i want with it.And if you are sick and the med helps then let them have gods gift....... Im not a meth head , not heroin addict, not into blow,..I smoke pot......ooooooooooooooooo big deal huh. they are going to keep cookie cookie cookieing us to death with this crap.And now we are paying for the cookie..........could it be that there is more money in prosecuting us rather than leagalising it? I think its all about how much money can extract form us from it . the government is all about money . not what the people really want . if they cant make the cash from it ,there not going to do a damn thing to pass it . thats just my 2 cents worth. I smoke it because it calms me and keeps me even for 30 plus years. and i like the high from it .when i realized that it made me calm i said , im off the dr. meds cause they made me feel lazy and very wierd. didnt like it at all. some thing can be self diagnost and when you find something like pot that works so well and can be free if grown yourself.come on government do you really have to make money or even tax everything on the face of the earth that people want to use.fuckin money grubbin mobsters. dont get me wrong I love this country but i cant stand our big money give me all you have and then more government . ive said enough . thank you for this post so i can blow off some steam.

D

draksensi

delta-9 labs.....you hit it right on the nose with that statement.its my body and i WILL !!! do what i want with it.And if you are sick and the med helps then let them have gods gift....... Im not a meth head , not heroin addict, not into blow,..I smoke pot......ooooooooooooooooo big deal huh. they are going to keep cookie cookie cookieing us to death with this crap.And now we are paying for the cookie..........could it be that there is more money in prosecuting us rather than leagalising it? I think its all about how much money can extract form us from it . the government is all about money . not what the people really want . if they cant make the cash from it ,there not going to do a damn thing to pass it . thats just my 2 cents worth. I smoke it because it calms me and keeps me even for 30 plus years. and i like the high from it .when i realized that it made me calm i said , im off the dr. meds cause they made me feel lazy and very wierd. didnt like it at all. some thing can be self diagnost and when you find something like pot that works so well and can be free if grown yourself.come on government do you really have to make money or even tax everything on the face of the earth that people want to use.fuckin money grubbin mobsters. dont get me wrong I love this country but i cant stand our big money give me all you have and then more government . ive said enough . thank you for this post so i can blow off some steam.
im afraid all goverments are like that the world over all about money, money money 1st and foremost:devils the lot of em

S

still smokin

i agree hash,should at least have parents with at the dispensary to pick up meds.thats how it is in all pharmacies.under 18 you cant pick up any meds.but i to feel for the guy.there telling him ,here you can have your cake ,but dont you dare eat it....I always hated that saying ....cause goddamn it if i bake a cake ,Im gettin the first fuckin piece of the damn thing....the marijuania laws years ago were made out of total ignorance and now here we are..........all i can do is thank god for this gift for man that we call pot.

B

bass ackwards

If it weren't for the sale to persons under 21 he doesn't appear to have done anything wrong in my mind. And who is to say,possibly the government sent in someone under age just to make their case better. Although you can't vote federal prosecutors out of their job I would hope that this prosecution follows him throughout his life. A black mark on his record I would not characterize this prosecution as a service to the citizenship.
the same can be said of the judge,although it seems he does have empathy for the defendant. Attorney General Holder should step in and do something such as clarifying the law and sending that prosecutor to Bum Fuck Egypt!

D

dynamitejack

[
“I find I cannot get around the one-year sentence,” Judge Wu said of federal sentencing laws.

LIES! The judge could have acted like a human and realized that this man did no harm to anyone and actually helped people. No harm no foul. Now the man has to sit in jail for a year and tax payers have to pay for it. I don't want to pay for this man to sit in jail but if I refuse to give the state my money I will be thrown in jail too, and the government will steal from other people to teach me a lesson. Stealing harms people and it should not be allowed! Those who steal need to be brought to justice!

If it weren't for the sale to persons under 21 he doesn't appear to have done anything wrong in my mind.

So you think it is wrong for anyone under 21 to consume marijuana? I think it is wrong for the government to tell people what it can and can't do with their own bodies regardless of their age.

S

still smokin

no i didnt mean that if your under 21 you shouldnt smoke it . but meds are not legal for under 18 to get but they can take them if parents come with to pick them up that all i was getting at there. the man did nothing wrong at all . not at all. peace

B

bass ackwards

dynamitejack, Yes I do believe it is wrong for anyone under the age of 21 to smoke pot unless it is for a medical reason. And I don't believe the government has the right to tell an adult what to do with their own body,but I do draw the line for minors.

B

boxmunch9

it really wasnt the DEA, it was the cunt sherriff who staked the dude out for a year and couldnt find him breaking any laws, then he called in the DEA. this suituation really blows because the dude was totally on the up and up and got fucked. suprised he got a sentance

Latest posts

Top Bottom