Problem with getting smell in control

• Thread starter Rastakari2
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
R

Rastakari2

Hi. I have 4 autoflowers currently late in flowering.

I have my grow tent, light and 4 inch fan from this setup: Mars Hydro TS 1000 LED Grow Light+70x70x160cm Indoor Tent Full Kits With Speed Controller(Will ship out on 15th March)

I had a 100 millimeters wide bull filter with 200m3/h, but the air was coming out smelling a lot.

today I just got new bull filter and 100/125mm fitting piece for it. This bull filter now is with 125 millimeters and 400m3/h. It helped a bit but it still smells a lot.
I put also the old 100mm bull filter to the end of the tube where air comes from but still smelling a ton.
Only thing I have in my mind anymore that I could change is to buy bigger bull filter for the end of the tube as well. But I doubt that will make the change still that I need.

How do you guys that need to control smell during growing get it to go away? What kind of setup and filter(s) achieve you that?

Any help is much appreciated!

Last edited:
Z

Zill

Ras,

What is the bull filter made with. 2x2x5 = 20 cubic feet. At that volume how quickly are you turning over the tent air volume? 100mm diameter filter seems tiny. If your air pump can handle it I would switch to a carbon canister.

R

Rastakari2

Ras,

What is the bull filter made with. 2x2x5 = 20 cubic feet. At that volume how quickly are you turning over the tent air volume? 100mm diameter filter seems tiny. If your air pump can handle it I would switch to a carbon canister.

What you mean what is it made with? My tent is 27 cubic feet. My fan is 205 cubic feet per minute. I dont know how quickly the air volume is turning over, I just use my fan at lowest power because of noise problems living in same room with the tent. 100mm seems tiny? My fan is 100mm. And now I have that 125mm filter. Can you give a link for an example of a carbon canister that I could buy for my setup? Never hears before about carbon canisters

R

Rastakari2

Ras,

The filter, Is the filter packed with anything to absorb odors?

Something like this.
Yes of course I have all those things in my tent, I gave link to my setup in my first message.

What do you mean is it packed with anything? It is full of activated carbon of course.

R

Rastakari2

Novaracer69

Novaracer69

I know for me personally I have to run 2 carbon filters. 1 on the inlet side of the fan and 1 outside the tent. Remember you're filters should flow as much as your fan minimum. So a 350cfm fan with a 400 cfm filter 👍. But a 350cfm fan with a 300cfm filter 👎. Now if you're using a controller to control your fans. If you don't have a carbon filter on your inlet and the fan shuts off you will smell it too. I am not a professional but this is what I have learned through trial and error.

MrGreenfinga

MrGreenfinga

Hi. I have 4 autoflowers currently late in flowering.

I have my grow tent, light and 4 inch fan from this setup: Mars Hydro TS 1000 LED Grow Light+70x70x160cm Indoor Tent Full Kits With Speed Controller(Will ship out on 15th March)

I had a 100 millimeters wide bull filter with 200m3/h, but the air was coming out smelling a lot.

today I just got new bull filter and 100/125mm fitting piece for it. This bull filter now is with 125 millimeters and 400m3/h. It helped a bit but it still smells a lot.
I put also the old 100mm bull filter to the end of the tube where air comes from but still smelling a ton.
Only thing I have in my mind anymore that I could change is to buy bigger bull filter for the end of the tube as well. But I doubt that will make the change still that I need.

How do you guys that need to control smell during growing get it to go away? What kind of setup and filter(s) achieve you that?

Any help is much appreciated!
Just buy a brand new filter from a new and trusted brand i use Prima klima works wonders
and ensure you dont blow more air into your tent than blowing out or else some air will seep through small cracks

R

Rastakari2

Is this your first grow using this filter? Did you buy the filter used or new?

I use AC Infinity carbon filters, I've not once had a smell issue.
Yes first grow with this filter and second grow over all. New filter.

Ok. I was watching rhino pro filter but then saw cannabis growers saying its bad on the internet.

Now I am watching brands mountair air and carbo air. I saw some people commenting good on them. What do you think?

R

Rastakari2

I know for me personally I have to run 2 carbon filters. 1 on the inlet side of the fan and 1 outside the tent. Remember you're filters should flow as much as your fan minimum. So a 350cfm fan with a 400 cfm filter 👍. But a 350cfm fan with a 300cfm filter 👎. Now if you're using a controller to control your fans. If you don't have a carbon filter on your inlet and the fan shuts off you will smell it too. I am not a professional but this is what I have learned through trial and error.
I have filter-fan-tube, inside the tent. Why would the fan shut off randomly? That has nothing to do with my questions? Of course fan runs 24/7

R

Rastakari2

Just buy a brand new filter from a new and trusted brand i use Prima klima works wonders
and ensure you dont blow more air into your tent than blowing out or else some air will seep through small cracks
Isnt it guaranteed that it is negative pressure inside the tent? I have sealed the tent so nothing could blow air to the tent that much.

Really prima klima? I saw some people saying bad on them.

Do you have opinions on the following brands?
Rhino pro
Mountain air
Carbo air

HerbalEdu

HerbalEdu

Isnt it guaranteed that it is negative pressure inside the tent? I have sealed the tent so nothing could blow air to the tent that much.

Rhino pro
Mountain air
Carbo air
i'm with prima klima too work like a charm

MrGreenfinga

MrGreenfinga

Rhino pro
Mountain air
Carbo air
If you have some flaps open in your tent it wont be so negative allows for more fresh air

i run a positive setup so i have mine closed

I have 2 primaklima carbon filters they both work greath been used for almost a year still no smell

I also have 2 inline fans from them i cant recommend them not so handy design is not the best and they degrade pretty fast

I dont know about other brands though but thier carbon filters kick ass

Gmix

Gmix

Supporter
I had loads of problems with trying to control smell in the end the only thing that worked was to put a vent in so it was venting outside.

Nothing else I tried made enough difference

One of the things I found out along the way witch I found really surprising was carbon filters don’t work well when the humidity is high. I was bemused by that as we usually flower with high humidity’s however I know folks in the game of selling the equipment and it’s not just one who said that.

One backup is a misting dome put that outside your tent and the room won’t smell of anything but the misting domes scent.

Rihino pros do have a good amount of carbon
The others I have not tried

MrGreenfinga

MrGreenfinga

I had loads of problems with trying to control smell in the end the only thing that worked was to put a vent in so it was venting outside.

Nothing else I tried made enough difference

One of the things I found out along the way witch I found really surprising was carbon filters don’t work well when the humidity is high. I was bemused by that as we usually flower with high humidity’s however I know folks in the game of selling the equipment and it’s not just one who that.

One backup is a misting dome put that outside your tent and the room won’t smell of anything but the misting domes scent.
How high do you think humidity could get before plants start to smell through the filter

Never heard that theory before but sounds really promising🤟

Gmix

Gmix

Supporter
How high do you think humidity could get before plants start to smell through the filter

Never heard that theory before but sounds really promising🤟
No idea bud
It’s kinda a dirty Industry Secret if you kwim I’ll have to ask I just know on both occasions when I was at the hydro they both said the same thing as there friends they don’t usually bulls… me

Newty

Newty

Yes first grow with this filter and second grow over all. New filter.

Ok. I was watching rhino pro filter but then saw cannabis growers saying its bad on the internet.

Now I am watching brands mountair air and carbo air. I saw some people commenting good on them. What do you think?
I've not used those brands.
AC Infinity also makes refillable ones so if it starts smelling you can change out the carbon without buying a new filter.

Latest posts

Top Bottom