Problematic Plant/COCO medium/FFOF issues?

• Thread starter CosmoGrows
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
CosmoGrows

CosmoGrows

Supporter
you gotta slow down, and keep things simple. this post is killing me.
Haha oh for sure, lesson has been learned one thing at a time lol.

Im not to sure where this plant is going right now. Hes kind of got me on edge and im watching it like a hawk, had a little growth just last night and now he seems to be frowning again, or maybe im just panicing because i continuesly watch my plants, atleast as of right now because of all the issues.Really flushed out the pott, he came back and looked good for a bit. Im wondering if the root damage is going to be to much!

TerriR

TerriR

I think it’s just all hat and no saddle...when the roots catch up that will get better BUT haven’t we seen some strains that look like that? It’s got new growth and I don’t think dying plants add new leaves. what is the strain? something Kalashnikov maybe?

Also...tip that I got several weeks ago: buy some Rootshield. I use it on my seeds and seedlings to prevent fungus and general damping off. OMG...the difference! got a tiny bag from Amazon but you only use a pinch in water. I haven’t lost a seedling since and this bag will last forever.

CosmoGrows

CosmoGrows

Supporter
I think it’s just all hat and no saddle...when the roots catch up that will get better BUT haven’t we seen some strains that look like that? It’s got new growth and I don’t think dying plants add new leaves. what is the strain? something Kalashnikov maybe?

Also...tip that I got several weeks ago: buy some Rootshield. I use it on my seeds and seedlings to prevent fungus and general damping off. OMG...the difference! got a tiny bag from Amazon but you only use a pinch in water. I haven’t lost a seedling since and this bag will last forever.

Its on its way! I love prime. Thank you! i need all the root help i can get lol. tomorrow comes either happy frog or promix hp, im still fucking on the fence about that. As far as strain, so i got these seeds off of some small seed website i found, they said it was blue cheese,but when they got here and i started growing them, every plant looked different!!! So obviously, they just threw some seeds in a bag and sent em my way and said thanks for the cash. LOL wont be doing that again, so who knows i mean, maybe these 2 plants im having issues with, are bad genetics, or something, i guess theres a million things that could go on. but im really just going to stick with blaming myself for the issues thats been caused. im not going to throw the blame on genetics or anything. If i had the information everyone gave me on here, before i planted these seeds, these plants would probably look a hell of a lot better :( So yeah, as far as strain, blue cheese photoperiod. but who really knows lol.

Give it some time at least 4-5 days after a change... I think your good now.

Keeping the fingers crossed! i wont watch it so much, ill just let er do er thing and see what goes with it. Watching it 24/7 makes me panic LOL.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Its on its way! I love prime. Thank you! i need all the root help i can get lol. tomorrow comes either happy frog or promix hp, im still fucking on the fence about that. As far as strain, so i got these seeds off of some small seed website i found, they said it was blue cheese,but when they got here and i started growing them, every plant looked different!!! So obviously, they just threw some seeds in a bag and sent em my way and said thanks for the cash. LOL wont be doing that again, so who knows i mean, maybe these 2 plants im having issues with, are bad genetics, or something, i guess theres a million things that could go on. but im really just going to stick with blaming myself for the issues thats been caused. im not going to throw the blame on genetics or anything. If i had the information everyone gave me on here, before i planted these seeds, these plants would probably look a hell of a lot better :( So yeah, as far as strain, blue cheese photoperiod. but who really knows lol.

Keeping the fingers crossed! i wont watch it so much, ill just let er do er thing and see what goes with it. Watching it 24/7 makes me panic LOL.
A watched pot never boils.... Good plan

CosmoGrows

CosmoGrows

Supporter
Blue cheese...kinda has that same downturned leaf situation...maybe it just looks like that.

True, looking at the pictures gives me a better referance now, unfortunatly, comparing the pictures this morning to the pictures now, the plants definitely drooping again. I do see they are a downward plant when healthy though. i just hate going through stages like this. Like aqua man said, 4-5 days and we will see where she sits. You just dont know whats going to happen and i dont want this to be a waste of time, i mean its not, because im learning, but if i could get to the end diagnoses faster, that would be dope! LOL.... I wish i just started this damn plant off better. LOL. I dont understand, my first run/harvest, i germinated 4 seeds and got 2 dispensary clones, grew them just fine. ended up with 4 plants to harvest because two seeds were males. but the harvest was nice, i mean i got like maybe 2 oz a plant, but they werent as full grown as they could be. due to a move i flipped them into flower early and still got a nice harvest. Either way, without going on a tangent, my point is, i had no issue, especially at this beginning stage. I dont understand why i have to have so many problems now. Lol. If i did it fine the first time.. like wtf lol.

CosmoGrows

CosmoGrows

Supporter
Heres a question, i germinated a seed in a paper towel. it grew out to about an inch tap root and i planted it in freshly moistened soil. Its actually an auto northern lights, so its tap root is placed in the soil, and im still waiting for it to pop out of the soil looking for light. While im waiting for it to pop out of the soil, and i mean, for the next week or two after it pops out of the soil. Am i watering it the same way? 10% run off? or do i just give it a little water until its developed a solid root system. Am i overwatering my seedlings and creating this problem early? and then letting them dry out to much like i did with this plant because i didnt water it for a week?? thats why i ask. I placed the taproot in the soil the way its supposed to go, and then i dropped about a shots glass worth of water where the seed is. Not enough?? I understand not visually being able to see what i am doing, makes these questions, probably infact nearly impossible to answer. im just trying to get an idea as to how much water each stage will need.

I guess with these new upcoming plants, im just trying to avoid THIS issue, early.

Smoking Gun

Smoking Gun

Heres a question, i germinated a seed in a paper towel. it grew out to about an inch tap root and i planted it in freshly moistened soil. Its actually an auto northern lights, so its tap root is placed in the soil, and im still waiting for it to pop out of the soil looking for light. While im waiting for it to pop out of the soil, and i mean, for the next week or two after it pops out of the soil. Am i watering it the same way? 10% run off? or do i just give it a little water until its developed a solid root system. Am i overwatering my seedlings and creating this problem early? and then letting them dry out to much like i did with this plant because i didnt water it for a week?? thats why i ask. I placed the taproot in the soil the way its supposed to go, and then i dropped about a shots glass worth of water where the seed is. Not enough?? I understand not visually being able to see what i am doing, makes these questions, probably infact nearly impossible to answer. im just trying to get an idea as to how much water each stage will need.

I guess with these new upcoming plants, im just trying to avoid THIS issue, early.
Always water the whole pot, regardless of plant size. The roots will take up all the water immediately around them and then go looking for more areas with water to use. If your outer edges of the pot are dry the roots will end up in a small ball only where you watered. But you only want to water when the pot (or cup) is mostly dry. It is appropriately dry when you can lift the pot and it feels considerably lighter than when it was freshly watered.

In my opinion I do not like starting young plants in Ocean Forest, I feel it simply too hot for the young root systems (though I think @MIMedGrower may disagree). That is a big part of why I suggest Happy Frog, the earthworm castings and bat guano are easy on roots but still provide a fair amount of food to get a plant started. I usually wait about 10-14 days before using any nutrients on transplants into fresh pots with Happy Frog.

I also recommend pre-soaking your soil before putting a plant or seed into it. This allows you to get your soil moist without inundating young plant roots with too much water. And if you feel the soil is too wet you can mix it with some more dry soil to even it out.

Since you are in Colorado why are you not going to a local hydro store? Stop buying gear on the internet that you can probably grab around the corner. Plus you will be supporting a small business in your area. Also why not work with clones? You will be getting a plant of proven genetics that is already somewhat established and will be quicker to get into flowering.

TerriR

TerriR

Always water the whole pot, regardless of plant size. The roots will take up all the water immediately around them and then go looking for more areas with water to use. If your outer edges of the pot are dry the roots will end up in a small ball only where you watered. But you only want to water when the pot (or cup) is mostly dry. It is appropriately dry when you can lift the pot and it feels considerably lighter than when it was freshly watered.

In my opinion I do not like starting young plants in Ocean Forest, I feel it simply too hot for the young root systems (though I think @MIMedGrower may disagree). That is a big part of why I suggest Happy Frog, the earthworm castings and bat guano are easy on roots but still provide a fair amount of food to get a plant started. I usually wait about 10-14 days before using any nutrients on transplants into fresh pots with Happy Frog.

I also recommend pre-soaking your soil before putting a plant or seed into it. This allows you to get your soil moist without inundating young plant roots with too much water. And if you feel the soil is too wet you can mix it with some more dry soil to even it out.

Since you are in Colorado why are you not going to a local hydro store? Stop buying gear on the internet that you can probably grab around the corner. Plus you will be supporting a small business in your area. Also why not work with clones? You will be getting a plant of proven genetics that is already somewhat established and will be quicker to get into flowering.
Local stores here carry only basic ingredients. I can’t even get Plant Therapy locally...they checked and cannot order it. I would be happy to buy locally but with only 2 tiny grow stores...not worth the time. And clones are cuttings of what dispensaries sell...nothing exotic or rare and rarely of blinding quality.

TerriR

TerriR

that should be enough water as long as any excess can drain. I keep mine slightly damp to touch. this is where I was having the damping off issue...they just never popped out of the soil. Now I make a hole with a chopstick and put the root pointing down and just barely cover the top. then the first watering has rootshield which creates a barrier to fungus. you can also put the pot on a plant heating mat...seedlings love to be warm. just don’t cover with a dome...makes a too wet environment. I also put a tiny pinch of rootshield in the water that I initially soak the seed in. can’t be too careful fighting damp-off!

Last edited:
CosmoGrows

CosmoGrows

Supporter

Okay got you, just learned yesterday that roots go towards the water, so i get how watering the outside of the pot works now.my root ball was all centered up i think because i just water by the stalk, ill spread that out now. Thank you for ALLL the info! I did the pot weight test and i saw the difference, i am so pumped for the next watering, because i think i finally know what im doing.

I live in colorado but have no license to go anywhere. I wont buy dispensary clones after the spider mite infestation i had. I wish i could just get in my car and go to the hydro store... i. fucking. wish. :'(

that should be enough water as long as any excess can drain. I keep mine slightly damp to touch. this is where I was having the damping off issue...they just never popped out of the soil. Now I make a hole with a chopstick and put the root pointing down and just barely cover the top. then the first watering has rootshield which creates a barrier to fungus. you can also put the pot on a plant heating mat...seedlings love to be warm. just don’t cover with a dome...makes a too wet environment. I also put a tiny pinch of rootshield in the water that I initially soak the seed in. can’t be too careful fighting damp-off!

got you! rootshield should be coming in soon. try that out and see if that can help me stay alive also. LOL. And lmfao, just took the dome off the plants on my heat pad. hahahaha. What exactly is damp off?

TerriR

TerriR

Okay got you, just learned yesterday that roots go towards the water, so i get how watering the outside of the pot works now.my root ball was all centered up i think because i just water by the stalk, ill spread that out now. Thank you for ALLL the info! I did the pot weight test and i saw the difference, i am so pumped for the next watering, because i think i finally know what im doing.

I live in colorado but have no license to go anywhere. I wont buy dispensary clones after the spider mite infestation i had. I wish i could just get in my car and go to the hydro store... i. fucking. wish. :'(

got you! rootshield should be coming in soon. try that out and see if that can help me stay alive also. LOL. And lmfao, just took the dome off the plants on my heat pad. hahahaha. What exactly is damp off?

Smoking Gun

Smoking Gun

Local stores here carry only basic ingredients. I can’t even get Plant Therapy locally...they checked and cannot order it. I would be happy to buy locally but with only 2 tiny grow stores...not worth the time. And clones are cuttings of what dispensaries sell...nothing exotic or rare and rarely of blinding quality.

That is a real shame and surprising given that there are so many hydro shops to choose from out there. I would imagine there would be more competition for the business given how many people are growing out there. I used to live in SoCal and it started to become difficult to avoid hydro stores, they were becoming like Starbucks, on every corner.

As for the dispensary clones, I never expected them to be the top of the line genetics, but at least you would know what to expect from them. For a beginner I have always felt that having plants of known genetics makes life easier in that others have gown it out so there is a bit more info out there on what to expect from its growth characteristics. Plus it is an established plant that can be put into flower sooner than a plant from seed, particularly for someone who has struggled with growing plants from seed.

I apologize if I spoke out of turn in suggesting you drive to the local hydro shop. I have just found that good hydro stores are often good places for advice and general info and thought it may be of use to you. But as Terri has said, they don't seem to be of that good quality, so they may not be the best place for advice.

I understand the fear of going back to a dispensary for clones after a pest infestation. It can also be a good lesson in quarantining plants not initially grown by you before letting them into a grow space.

Damping off is when the base of a plant (usually seedlings or new clones) are too wet and fungus grows and attacks the base of the plant. It causes the plant to fall over at the base and ultimately die.

CosmoGrows

CosmoGrows

Supporter
That is a real shame and surprising given that there are so many hydro shops to choose from out there. I would imagine there would be more competition for the business given how many people are growing out there. I used to live in SoCal and it started to become difficult to avoid hydro stores, they were becoming like Starbucks, on every corner.

As for the dispensary clones, I never expected them to be the top of the line genetics, but at least you would know what to expect from them. For a beginner I have always felt that having plants of known genetics makes life easier in that others have gown it out so there is a bit more info out there on what to expect from its growth characteristics. Plus it is an established plant that can be put into flower sooner than a plant from seed, particularly for someone who has struggled with growing plants from seed.

I apologize if I spoke out of turn in suggesting you drive to the local hydro shop. I have just found that good hydro stores are often good places for advice and general info and thought it may be of use to you. But as Terri has said, they don't seem to be of that good quality, so they may not be the best place for advice.

I understand the fear of going back to a dispensary for clones after a pest infestation. It can also be a good lesson in quarantining plants not initially grown by you before letting them into a grow space.

Damping off is when the base of a plant (usually seedlings or new clones) are too wet and fungus grows and attacks the base of the plant. It causes the plant to fall over at the base and ultimately die.

Oh your good bro! no speaking out of turn, simply giving your opinion, and its all allowed here. :Dbut i do seriously wish because ihave to order off amazon, and the amazon guy cant find my apartment, i one time had my neighbor deliver me my bottle of nutrients because the damn driver gave them to the wrong person. Like i need a fucking stranger neighbor knowing i grow, TF AMAZON!?!?! Lol, so believe me, i super fucking wish,even if they arent the best spots anymore, i do wish i could just cut the rope with amazon lmao.

But yeah, i have thought about doing a dispensary clone, and quarentining it in my small its like 2x2 tent or something, some small tent, i got nuke em, and spinosad (is that how u say it? LOL) so i thought about going back to clone because they are much easier. just, pests freak me tf out. Its like getting bed bugs, something u just dont fucking want. lol last grow, i did successfully grow a jack heror, and a grape krypt. both dispensary clones. So, theyre not like horrible, you can grow them for sure LOL.

But wow just readup on the damping off, im wondering if i had this issue before, not recently, but about a month ago i had a similar issue to what that explains, ill never know because the plants gone, but it makes me wonder now. So appreciative of all this info!!!!!

TerriR

TerriR

Oh your good bro! no speaking out of turn, simply giving your opinion, and its all allowed here. :Dbut i do seriously wish because ihave to order off amazon, and the amazon guy cant find my apartment, i one time had my neighbor deliver me my bottle of nutrients because the damn driver gave them to the wrong person. Like i need a fucking stranger neighbor knowing i grow, TF AMAZON!?!?! Lol, so believe me, i super fucking wish,even if they arent the best spots anymore, i do wish i could just cut the rope with amazon lmao.

But yeah, i have thought about doing a dispensary clone, and quarentining it in my small its like 2x2 tent or something, some small tent, i got nuke em, and spinosad (is that how u say it? LOL) so i thought about going back to clone because they are much easier. just, pests freak me tf out. Its like getting bed bugs, something u just dont fucking want. lol last grow, i did successfully grow a jack heror, and a grape krypt. both dispensary clones. So, theyre not like horrible, you can grow them for sure LOL.

But wow just readup on the damping off, im wondering if i had this issue before, not recently, but about a month ago i had a similar issue to what that explains, ill never know because the plants gone, but it makes me wonder now. So appreciative of all this info!!!!!
probably...I have had tons of stuff damp off, esp outside garden plants from seed. those seeds are cheap but my special super-expensive cannabis is not something to crap shoot😂

CosmoGrows

CosmoGrows

Supporter
Todays a good day, just placed the order.

Happy Frog
Flora Nova grow + Bloom
Rootshield (for future use, i think im a little late now??)
Picked me up so mykos mychorrizae, i ran out of great white.

As i was placing the order, my new seedsman White OG seeds came in, so im pretty pumped to start these guys with newly learned ways.
My Dabpress is sitting there this morning looking at me all sad, waiting for some flower to pressed. So hopefully, with these new methods, i can be succesful here! LOL.

PS: This plant YOU GUYS saved, is now GROWING LIKE FKING CRAZY!! this morning i wake up and his leaves are all caught under the handle of the pot because she grew like a fuckin 6 inches in an hour. LOL not really, but you get the point, this girl is fucking GROWING. The excitement of success right now, is childish but idec. i will post a pic soon, and maybe start a diary now that i think i have this down? well see!

Everyone on this post saved the day^^^^^^ Literally!.. er.. saved the grow? not the day.
Credits to all, not just one, but all.

Top Bottom