Product Comparisons: WHY PAY MORE FOR A CUTESY LABEL???

• Thread starter sky high
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
roughly 1 part calcium nitrate, 1 part epsom salts, then some formulas have iron/micro's

ok, ill give one. Tankless waterheater vs CO2 generator
I've priced out tankless water heaters and they're outrageous, easily double the cost of a 'regular' water heater. Are CO2 generators really that expensive..???

I'll look for one of the cameras and try to get a photo of the Gardener & Bloom product that I'm using to replace Dr. Earth. I personally think that, for around $20/12lbs it's a great deal, especially since you can make teas to grow more microbes.

***Edit*** Got the photo, and frankly, I'm pissed that my local garden center isn't carrying Dr. Earth anymore. The Dr. Earth site lists them still as a supplier, maybe I can do something about that one way or t'other.

This is Gardener & Bloom Rhododendron and Camellia fertilizer. I tried it because they're acid-loving blooming plants. I've also used Dr. Earth Organic 5, and wanted to try Organic 8 because the numbers seemed really close to what I want inside and out, but then the line was dropped locally.

G n B label rhodies microbes
G n B label rhodies label

4.D.

Seamaiden Squarepusher

Bobby Smith got that one, here it is again since ya missed it.
All right, here goes nothing - wanting to get a cool coil for my reservoir and a a watercooled CO2 generator for my grow space, but didn't want to pay the astronomical prices they wanted for them from HydroInnovations (and they stopped making natural gas CO2 generators, anyways).

$139 for the cool coil -

$339 for the generator -

So, I did a little research, and decided that I'd rather get a beer wort chiller (which the cool coil is a branded version of) like this for a lot cheaper (I actually went with the 50' version, giving me 150% of the cooling power for 65% of the price of the "branded" HydroInnovations model):

$54 (and five feet longer) -

$179 -

If you'll notice, the products are identical, except one says "Marey" and one says "Hydrogen" on the front.

I actually got the 16L model in a natural gas version, but since most use propane I thought I'd throw that link up.

If running drain to waste off of a pressurized water supply, you need to buy this piece from them:

$70 -

Orrrrrrr, you can go on Ebay and buy it for a little bit cheaper :)

$35 (half the price) -

Total cost for the three "brand name" parts - $550
Total cost for three unbranded parts - $270, or a little less than half.

EDIT: here's a video of the three of them in action if anyone's interested:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWTX5CqEALw

B

Bobby Smith

I've priced out tankless water heaters and they're outrageous, easily double the cost of a 'regular' water heater. Are CO2 generators really that expensive..???

Post #17 has a comparison - it's a "cheapo" water heater, but it's identical to the CO2 generator marketed to growers.

4D, coming along nicely - link's in my sig, will start a proper grow journal when I flip the switch to flowering in a week or two.

EDIT: 4D beat me to it - anyone know how to delete a post? Just tried and can't figure it out........if a mod sees this, feel free to delete this post.

Thanks.

squarepusher

squarepusher

I'll look for one of the cameras and try to get a photo of the Gardener & Bloom product that I'm using to replace Dr. Earth. I personally think that, for around $20/12lbs it's a great deal, especially since you can make teas to grow more microbes.

i read it on another thread, ill try to repeat what I read here
1 hotwater heater CO2 gen

ok, that one is more for converting your water heater to extract CO2, but for the tankless waterheater, they are actually the replacement for "water cooled CO2 generator"

so, something like this the Aquah 6l tankless water heater for $169

vs a Hydrogen $315

actually, what I wanted to get into also, is a lot of things seem to come from China, and are just rebranded and marked up 100% . If you can find a Chinese supplier, you can get identical various equipment for probably half price, so think like hoods, cooltubes, meters, bulbs, centrifugal fans, even ballasts etc... I have a few contacts haven't bought any ballasts yet though.

S

smokestack23

Well this is a simple one and I don't have any specs to post but..how about mag coil ballasts instead of electronic/digital?

WAY cheaper, most of the output..and bulbs work with them. They last forever too..the ballasts I mean.

I know..it's supposed to be product comparison but..as is being mentioned...most of the stuff we buy is made in China anyway..like for example ph and TDS pens/meters. They're $50+ in hydro stores...they're 4 bucks on eBay straight from HongKong. I paid $4 for PH pens (got two in case) and $10 for a TDS pen. It's the exact same blue TDS EZ by HM pen that's available in Hydro stores for 50 and up.
Another..I haven't opened one up but I have Luma ballasts. SUPPOSED to be a sister company to Lumatek. I've bought a BUNCH of them. They come with cooltube reflector, HPS and MH bulbs, yoyos, timer, and cords. I've been picking them up for under $200 shipped for 600 OR 1000watters. Have had NO problems.
Luma also makes carbon scrubbers. I've been buying 6" and 8" units. They come with 30' of ali ducting, a 440cfm (6") or 750cfm(8") fan and the cannister (about 22" long) for between $130 and $200 shipped. good luck finding a fan for that $$.

if this post is clutter and doesnt belong pls delete it or tell me to and I will.
:)

L

Lost

Ahh, I have one!

The Walmart recycleable tote bags as smartpots. Work great and I think they hold 5-7 gallons. They are breatheable too. 1 dollar vs 7...

And they have handles...

lambrettats1

lambrettats1

This is an amazing thread.if anyone is interested in purchasing some oxy pots then i would go to ebayuk and check out micheal.001_123. he has them for sale starting at less than 1 gbp. he also has multi pot systems i know from personal experience that these cost at least 25 gbp each. i have also bought from him before and recommend. TS1

M

max_well

bulb comparison

here's one I posted elsewhere that didn't get any response./.

or

Same 2100k temp rating.

These specs look almost identical, except the Eye Sunlux has a minutely different initial lumen output, and seem to remain working longer (see % lamps still burning after rated lifetime chart). Spectrum seems about exactly the same. Major difference it seems is the word "super" and the price; you can find the Sunlux for less than $60 a piece online, $50 if buying 6 or more (http://www.plantlightinghydroponics....c-374_845.html).
anyone used the sunlux?
Max

S

smokestack23

As usual..this is a stretch. It's an eBay item (not affiliated with me whatsoever). The first item listed is a cooltube with socket and cord. It's $169 plus shipping. They can be found for quite a bit cheaper but I've never seen one for mush less than a hundred bucks:

19" Cool Tube w/ cord

The quality construction features the best European reflective aluminum interior reflector, and an optional exterior mounted reflector, for directing light more precisely over a growing area. The securely mounted 5KV mogul socket is totally prewired inside a protective wiring channel and junction box. The multi-point hanging system allows the unit to be hung horizontally or vertically for different growing applications. Now included is the patented Lock and Seal 15' heavy duty lamp cord allowing you to conveniently plug into any Hydrofarm or Xtrasun ballast.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Cool-Tube-Hydroponic-Reflector-Heat-Climate-Control-/290421390675?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item439e76bd53#ht_2845wt_983

Cool Tube Hydroponic Reflector Heat Climate Control
Item condition: New
Quantity:
10 available
Price: US $169.00

6" diameter by 19" long accommodates most lamp types up to 1000W
Superior packaging protects unit during shipping and handling
Internal and external reflectors included
Highest quality European aluminum
15' 600v cord and mogul socket included; easily attaches to any Hydrofarm ballast
The most compact and effective way to get bright light over, or in your growing area
Streamlined design allows cooling airflow to move unimpeded, keeping growing area temperatures lower and allowing you to position your lamp very close to your plants
Can hang vertically down into the plant canopy and is ideal for enclosed growth chambers

OR..

You could go here:

and get a cooltube with reflector, cord, socket, timer, yoyos, 400W electronic ballast and cord, a 400MH and 400HPS bulbs for $62 plus shipping:

DIGITAL AIR COOL TUBE GROW LIGHT 400 WATT HPS+MH 400W
CSA LISTED BALLAST 1 YEAR WARRANTY,WORKS W/ BOTH MH/HPS
Item condition: New
Ended: Feb 22, 201117:31:11 PST
Bid history:
5 bids
Winning bid: US $62.00

Our latest LUMA grow light systems include both Metal Halide(MH) and High Pressure Sodium(HPS) bulbs. So what are the benefits of this complete package? Vigorous growth, accelerated development, and hearty flowering! The MH light is recommended for improved vegetation, meanwhile, HPS light is optimal for flowering. Both lights are highly recommended for your plants chlorophyll production. The balanced spectrum light absorbed well by chlorophyll will improve your plants health and and eventually will lead to the plants flourishing beautifully. This complete plug and play system is especially productive for spring vegetables and flower seedling development.

This complete package includes a FREE Timer to help you to control the lighting time conveniently, especially when you're away from your developing garden. We also include a set of FREE Heavy Duty Yoyo's that make it easy when adjusting the height of your plug and play reflector. Grow your plants safely and environmentaly friendly with our LUMA systems!

Package Content:
1 x 6" LUMA Inline Air Cooled Reflector with Cool Tube
1 x 400W Switchable Ballast
1 x 400W Metal Halide Bulb
1 x 400W High Pressure Sodium Bulb
1 x Ceramic Socket (pre-wired into reflector)
1 x Set of Easy Roller Yoyo Pulleys
1 x Free 24 Hour Timer
6" LUMA Inline Air Cooled Reflector with Cool Tube:
Combined 6" Inline Air Cooled Reflector with Cool Tube.
Allows for improved air cooling than other general reflector hoods.
Includes a pre-wired ceramic socket
Multi-surface large hood to reflect most light towards your plants
Standard 6" air vent fits to 6" exhaust fan system (NOT included) and fits inside most grow tents
Includes a 9.5 Foot cord to the Digital Ballast
Overall Dimensions: 27.5in.(L) x 25in. (W) x 7in.(H)
Reflector Opening Dimensions: 26in.(L) x 25in.(W)
Cooltube Dimensions: 27.5in.(L) x 6in. Diameter
400W Digital Electronic Ballast (covered by 1 Year Manufacturer Warranty):
This new Digital Technology is the greatest advancement in hydroponics! Operates both High Pressure Sodium (HPS) and Metal Halide (MH) Bulbs.
Includes a 8.5 Foot cord to the power outlet.
HIGH OUTPUT! Our illumaLights Digital electronic ballasts are specifically manufactured for the horticultural industry and provide maximum light output!
LOWER YOUR ELECTRICITY BILL AND SAVE MONEY! More efficient and reduced energy consumption means a lower electricity bill. When compared to standard core and coil magnetic ballasts you can save up to $100 a year on electricity!
WORKS ON EITHER 120V OR 240V . It automatically detects the voltage and adjusts between 120-240 volts! Plugs into any standard household outlet.
With a sleek look, the digital ballast is lighter, smaller and more reliable than standard technology "core and coil" ballasts.
The Built in "smart chip" included with the ballast AUTOMATICALLY ADJUSTS TO HIGH PRESSURE SODIUM AND METAL HALIDE BULBS. There is no need for a "switch" or to change systems, simply change from MH for vegetative growth to HPS for the flowering phase of growth.
Operates at a high frequency (20,000Hz) instead of the lowly 60Hz of standard core & coil ballasts. This allows the lamp to operate more efficiently, produce more usable light for plants and last longer. Lamp lumen loss is minimized allowing for a brighter system over time and extending usable lamp life by up to three times it's normal life span!
LOW HEAT! The digital ballasts run a lot cooler than standard systems improving ballast life.
400W High Pressure Sodium Bulb:
Power: 400 watts (High efficiency)
Expected Life Span: 24,000 hours
Lumen: 55,000 lumens
Color Temperature: 2,000K
Contains more red spectrum, which is best for flowering.
Strong power to penetrate fog
High output, high luminescence efficiency.
Fit for all standard 400 watts HPS grow light systems
Higher lumen output for higher yields!
400W Metal Halide Bulb:
Power: 400W (High efficiency)
Expected Life Span: 8,000 hours
Lumen: 36,000 lumens
Color Temperature: 4,000K
Contains blue spectrum, which is best for vegetation.
Strong power to penetrate fog
High output, high luminescence efficiency.
Fit for all standard 400 watts MH grow light systems
Special good efficiency for leafy plants such as Lettuce and Herb
Higher lumen output for higher yields!
Ceramic Socket:
Fit for E39 bulb cap
Detachable durable ceramic socket
Easy to install if you need to change your reflector
Ceramic socket should be used with ballast for steady power supply
With a 9.5ft. cord to the ballast
Timer: (Included FREE)
Safe and easy to use
UL Approved with Dual Outlets
Ensure timer is disconnected from power supply.
Press down the segment pushbuttons according to how long you require the system to stay on.
Each segment is 15 minutes.
Turn the timer dial until the black pointer is set to the present time.
Plug in your grow light system to the timer and then the timer to the power supply socket and switch the socket on.
Timer and your light system go working until the stop time.
The timer can be overridden by moving the red switch on the side.
Timer Power: Max Wattage 1725W; Max Current 15A/125V/60Hz
Easy Roller Yoyo Pulleys: (Included FREE)
Ease in adjusting the height setting for the reflector
Max load weight of 5Kg per pulley

I know it's kinda cheesey to show eBay auctions. If we all start bidding on these items the winning bids will be higher...but..they also sell their stuff with Buy it Now prices that are still VERY reasonable.

I've been buying 600s and 1Ks from these guys for almost a year now and they're all still working GREAT. I've also bought charcoal cans from them. I bought a 6" set-up with the can, 440cfm fan and 30' of ducting for under $200 shipped and yesterday I got an 8" set-up (with can, ducting and 700cfm fan) for $135.00. That's less than the price of the can OR the fan alone. Orders arrive in less than 5 days from these guys and I'm in CANADA!!!

Anyway...this isn't EXACTLY following the intent of this thread but frick...if you're looking for a cooltube...why not get a free light kit with it? Check out their other items (and their sister company that lists the exact same products..gasbikeshop).
Hope someone can use this and save a few bucks.

S

smokestack23

Oh..thought I'd add...I made a cooltube out of a Corning pyrex bake tube. It cost me like $20 plus shipping for the tube, some hoseclamps, cable, handing apparatus, ducting....and labor..probably added-up to more than I could have bought the 400w kit with cooltube. DOH!!!!!

sky high

sky high

Here is a .pdf that compares the DIEHARD innoculants I listed above to many of the other popular myco/trichoderma innoculants on the Hydro store shelves.

happy growin'!

s h

I

indoorherbs

Interesting thread, lots of ideas here. I really like the Walmart bag one.

Just a word of caution though - there's a lot more to what a nutrient is than what's on the label.

Top Bottom