Promix All Purpose

• Thread starter Glassdub
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Glassdub

Glassdub

Is it ok to use regular all purpose Promix most people seem use MX &/or HP in most cases but it is hard to come by where I live & is twice as expensive if found if not more & I'm on a limited budget.

Moshmen

Moshmen

Is it ok to use regular all purpose Promix most people seem use MX &/or HP in most cases but it is hard to come by where I live & is twice as expensive if found if not more & I'm on a limited budget.
I can’t get it where im at either, I just tried the promix for tomatoes/vegetables. I’m only a couple weeks in so I do t have a opinion yet, but I think it’s to hot for seedlings, at least autos

10w30

10w30

Supporter
i've used the promix pictured above, it was hot on seedlings to start. i used peat pellets the 2nd time and had no seedling burn when starting. ive had flying gnats on the first couple of waterings in the pots, only a couple and no infestation took place.

HeLLfiReZ

HeLLfiReZ

If you talking the big black bails labeled general purpose it's fine. Its soilless medium. Add perlite helps it drain better.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
I've used Promix for decades, but check to see if the mix that you bought has any built in nutrients. Promix HP and BX is devoid of nutrients other than Ph buffers, so it will never be too hot for your plants. Promix also makes a product that is already full of nutrients. I have never used it but I shy away from pre-loaded mixes. Perlite might be a good addition. I'm not sure where you reside, but the local Agway store stock bales of Promix... I didn't see it at Loews or Walmart.

Glassdub

Glassdub

I've used Promix for decades, but check to see if the mix that you bought has any built in nutrients. Promix HP and BX is devoid of nutrients other than Ph buffers, so it will never be too hot for your plants. Promix also makes a product that is already full of nutrients. I have never used it but I shy away from pre-loaded mixes. Perlite might be a good addition. I'm not sure where you reside, but the local Agway store stock bales of Promix... I didn't see it at Loews or Walmart.
It doesn't claim nutrients but it states that nutrients are only needed for heavy feeders, I can contest to this as I've used it for several seasons for vegetables w/o much feeding needed.
Lowes seems to stock MX but at twice the price of what I can get all purpose for on sale at Menards plus they are presently out of stock, I hate paying double for something unless I'm convinced its really superior, if it comes down to added perlite I can buy 2 cubic ft for about 16 bucks at Home Depot & cut myself.

20200129 090033
20200129 090216
Beachwalker

Beachwalker

It doesn't claim nutrients but it states that nutrients are only needed for heavy feeders, I can contest to this as I've used it for several seasons for vegetables w/o much feeding needed.
Lowes seems to stock MX but at twice the price of what I can get all purpose for on sale at Menards plus they are presently out of stock, I hate paying double for something unless I'm convinced its really superior, if it comes down to added perlite I can buy 2 cubic ft for about 16 bucks at Home Depot & cut myself.
I'm using that same type, $14 at home Depot, I'm mixing 30% #3 perlite in it

If it's sold in Canada it has starting newts in it, if it's sold in the US it does not

just started using it on its own but I've used it in mixes before & I'm not having any issues with it

it's a little tricky watering it at first if your used to soil but that's about it I also chuck some worm castings on top every now and then in bloom, good luck!

Last edited:
Moshmen

Moshmen

i've used the promix pictured above, it was hot on seedlings to start. i used peat pellets the 2nd time and had no seedling burn when starting. ive had flying gnats on the first couple of waterings in the pots, only a couple and no infestation took place.
Kool yeah my next beans are going in starter soil some didn’t even mKe it thru

Moshmen

Moshmen

I’m in Florida, I can get it online delivered might try idk yet might just go back to the cheap local mixture here? Or we will c how it does I’ve got a couple that are 3 weeks old and they look pretty hungry already

Glassdub

Glassdub

I’m in Florida, I can get it online delivered might try idk yet might just go back to the cheap local mixture here? Or we will c how it does I’ve got a couple that are 3 weeks old and they look pretty hungry already
I can get online here too but the shipping is about 70 bucks a bail so yeah, no.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Hopefully faithful promix users will chime in ? Lol I mixed in about 30% chunky perlite that’s it.

That should work great. But i do prefer large chunky perlite for drainage.

Also good to break up any clumps real good to avoid hot spots.

Glassdub

Glassdub

When mixing do you take the compressed 2 cubic ft bail size in the mixing radio or the fluffed medium?

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
When mixing do you take the compressed 2 cubic ft bail size in the mixing radio or the fluffed medium?
I usually get the 3.4 cubic ft compressed bale of BX or HP. When I make my mix, I first break up the Promix, then add my compost/manure addition (and wood ashes) to the fluffed up Promix at about 80% Promix and 20% compost mixture. Abale of Promix BXand a bag of composted manure will fill about 8 5 gallon buckets. Foolproof! 🙂

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I usually get the 3.4 cubic ft compressed bale of BX or HP. When I make my mix, I first break up the Promix, then add my compost/manure addition (and wood ashes) to the fluffed up Promix at about 80% Promix and 20% compost mixture. Abale of Promix BXand a bag of composted manure will fill about 8 5 gallon buckets. Foolproof! 🙂

These 2 foot bales are a different product sold in retail and home improvement stores. It has nutrients I believe.

Latest posts

Top Bottom