Promix All Purpose

• Thread starter Glassdub
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Rootbound

Rootbound

Supporter
I just slowly pour a cup or two of water in evenly first and let it penetrate. Then finish watering after some minutes. Had to do this with ocean forest too.
I never prewet promix before planting in it, unless the bag was left partially open for a bit and dries out. I never have water drain right out either if its still got moisture to it right out of bag.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I never prewet promix before planting in it, unless the bag was left partially open for a bit and dries out. I never have water drain right out either if its still got moisture to it right out of bag.

Me either but i developed the habit with ocean forest. I like a very dry dry cycle.

Moshmen

Moshmen

I open my new bags mix in perlite in an old 55 gallon trash can water it and let the f-Ing fungus Nats hatch get rid of the little bastards then use it for planting ! About the only complaint I got is the bugs ! But I’m unable to get the hp only the retail

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I open my new bags mix in perlite in an old 55 gallon trash can water it and let the f-Ing fungus Nats hatch get rid of the little bastards then use it for planting ! About the only complaint I got is the bugs ! But I’m unable to get the hp only the retail

Seems my bale of HP came with gnats.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
??? Not the stuff I get its in a tightly compressed bale very similar to the peat pods and there's not much moisture in them. The lose Fox Farm sure it's wet but not the compressed bales of ProMix or its like.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Honestly thats one of the worst things about promix. It's not sterile, and gnats lay eggs in the giant piles of peat at the production facility. The only promix grow I've done in the last 10 years that didnt have gnats was the one I bombed with Imid.
I get them but they don't seem to last long once I notice them. I increase the # of fans and use a couple right across the top of the pots/sticky tape and I clean the top inch around the edges and add more new soil on the top if I see them when I water. I still see them around every now and then but never to the point of infested and all I've ever used is peat based dirt.

Rootbound

Rootbound

Supporter
??? Not the stuff I get its in a tightly compressed bale very similar to the peat pods and there's not much moisture in them. The lose Fox Farm sure it's wet but not the compressed bales of ProMix or its like.
Should have clarified that I am using the value sized all purpose promix in the 2 cu ft bale like in the pic in post #8, and it has a little moisture to it but not much. I feed right off the bat with it because there isnt much if any nutes in it.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Should have clarified that I am using the value sized all purpose promix in the 2 cu ft bale like in the pic in post #8, and it has a little moisture to it but not much. I feed right off the bat with it because there isnt much if any nutes in it.
That's the last bale of Promix I bought, Costco $18 Cdn I didn't like it. I'm not saying it caused my problems but I had low ph issues with it I haven't had in other ProMix bales I've bought. It may have been through my bad gardening adding too much ph down when I fed /watered ( I don't use any now) I 've used the VPW 30 a few times over the years but now I'm stuck on it. 30% perlite + ?%vermiculite its light and airy and its cheap noname peat promix copy. I'm hooked.😀😀

Rootbound

Rootbound

Supporter
That's the last bale of Promix I bought, Costco $18 Cdn I didn't like it. I'm not saying it caused my problems but I had low ph issues with it I haven't had in other ProMix bales I've bought. It may have been through my bad gardening adding too much ph down when I fed /watered ( I don't use any now) I 've used the VPW 30 a few times over the years but now I'm stuck on it. 30% perlite + ?%vermiculite its light and airy and its cheap noname peat promix copy. I'm hooked.😀😀
Always stick to what works for you, because no 2 grow environment are the same. I only pay $10 for 2 cu ft and dont add anything else, just let them do their own thing and adjust accordingly 👍

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Using 5 gal bags and am being liberal in my estimates, they sell HP $34.99 a single bale, I was going to go to another garden store that priced it 2 bucks less but when I saw 4 BX for $85 it seemed too good of a deal to pass, now that I checked the ProMix site this isn't the BIOFUNGICIDE variety listed under their cannabis recommendations but I don't know how much that matters.
The Promix that you bought is the type that I use and has no real nutrients other than some buffering and enough nutes to support a plant, but not robustly. I have never had issues with it, but the all purpose garden mix that they sell is totally different and more like a Fox Farms type of pre-charged product.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Honestly thats one of the worst things about promix. It's not sterile, and gnats lay eggs in the giant piles of peat at the production facility. The only promix grow I've done in the last 10 years that didnt have gnats was the one I bombed with Imid.

The microbe lift seems to keep the numbers way down.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

For pete i like the sunshine 4 mix it's perfect out of the bag. Promix i have to ad perlite.

I was considering adding some but im not sure yet. I guess pro mix used coco in the newest mix for extra drainage instead.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Promix have had a coco coir blend out in the 3.3 cu ft bales. I think its the CC label.

Thats the one i was talking about. I dont like having more than 30% perlite or so. Just feels wrong in my hands. My old breeder also said add up to 15% and no more than 30% coco if i need nore drainage. He also said too much coco will hurt the flavor. I have not compared that yet.

Rootbound

Rootbound

Supporter
Thats the one i was talking about. I dont like having more than 30% perlite or so. Just feels wrong in my hands. My old breeder also said add up to 15% and no more than 30% coco if i need nore drainage. He also said too much coco will hurt the flavor. I have not compared that yet.
I have never noticed any flavor difference from coco or promix 's inert blends. All depends on how you raise and feed them IMO. Everyone's environment is different.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
I personally think coco and promix are about on par as far as flavour potential goes. If anything I'd give a slight edge to a well done coco grow. My buddy who grows in coco consistently produces pot that is more flavorful than most weed I come across.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I personally think coco and promix are about on par as far as flavour potential goes. If anything I'd give a slight edge to a well done coco grow. My buddy who grows in coco consistently produces pot that is more flavorful than most weed I come across.

Well i was only repeating another growers opinion although he has like 35 years of professional experience.

I think the method isn't as important as the execution.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Well i was only repeating another growers opinion although he has like 35 years of professional experience.

I think the method isn't as important as the execution.

I dont doubt there is something to what he said. I've blended promix and coco before and it was a disaster. They are for sure best used independently of each other in my opinion.

Top Bottom