Pros....Cons.... of DWC

• Thread starter truebluezzzz
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
QuarterbackMo

QuarterbackMo

When you grow a single plant, genius. Got it now? I can't make this any simpler for you.
I must be a genius and so is everybody else who realizes that rdwc is a better choice even for 1 plant... I know im smart but even a dummy can understand that. Thats been my point all along.

Now that we have come to that conclusion lets try that one out again... Next scenerio dwc is better suited then rdwc please...

DrRabbit

DrRabbit

I must be a genius and so is everybody else who realizes that rdwc is a better choice even for 1 plant... I know im smart but even a dummy can understand that. Thats been my point all along.
I concede that you believe you are correct. You realize that what I'm talking about is light-years cheaper, easier, and more robust, but hey if you've got lots of money and space and electricity so you feel swell about leaving your ladies alone for days on end, that's cool.

QuarterbackMo

QuarterbackMo

I concede that you believe you are correct. You realize that what I'm talking about is light-years cheaper, easier, and more robust, but hey if you've got lots of money and space and electricity so you feel swell about leaving your ladies alone for days on end, that's cool.
Ok im even gonna take your approach and say the op doesnt have $100 to spend on a rdwc setup and thats for a nice little setup at that... Why recommend a 5 gallon bucket of all things? Thats not practical at all if anything a 10 gallon tub at the minimum is what I would roll with at the minimum for a standalone 1 plant setup. Anything less then that is big trouble imo... Theres no way you are gonna tell me a 5 gal bucket maintence in week 4 of flower aint worth wasting a few gallons of nutrients every couple weeks either if your gonna try to argue that point next. Theres certain shit you just have to chalk up as being a trade off and ill take time and ease over even the whole 10 gal getting wasted or whatever any day of the week. A 5 gal bucket is prone to way too many problems to even suggest that as a standalone. The only thing i would say a 5 gal bucket would be perfectly suited for would be if you had one clone and needed 20 more and said fuck it im bout to throw this bitch in this one bucket for like a week or so until it grows out 20 good cuts and then kill the plant and put the bucket back in the storage. That literally is the only scenerio i can see dwc in a 5 gal bucket being practical and best suited for the application.

QuarterbackMo

QuarterbackMo

I do not feel you, as you are describing a completely inappropriate setup relative to the needs of the OP. And, yes, having worked with 100s of growers, I'm aware that there are different approaches. I'm sure my homies in Oregon would laugh at your plants and your bud quality. Enjoy smoking those leftover nutrients, it will be easy for you to do it though, and it's obvious that's what is most important to you.
I also just read this rofl well I know you aint laughing at my plants anymore so here tell your friends in oregon to put this rdwc bubba og in their pipe and smoke it rofl...

And that shit was trimmed with a bowl trimmer lol no hand trimming period. 8oz per plant off a 2 week veg and that shit smells like skunk coffee hardcore I get compliments on how good I smell everywhere I go. Some people literally know me cuz of the way my car smells or what I smell like walking in places with this shit in my pocket.

Thump thump thump

DrRabbit

DrRabbit

Ok im even gonna take your approach and say the op doesnt have $100 to spend on a rdwc setup and thats for a nice little setup at that... Why recommend a 5 gallon bucket of all things? Thats not practical at all if anything a 10 gallon tub at the minimum is what I would roll with at the minimum for a standalone 1 plant setup. Anything less then that is big trouble imo... Theres no way you are gonna tell me a 5 gal bucket maintence in week 4 of flower aint worth wasting a few gallons of nutrients every couple weeks either if your gonna try to argue that point next. Theres certain shit you just have to chalk up as being a trade off and ill take time and ease over even the whole 10 gal getting wasted or whatever any day of the week. A 5 gal bucket is prone to way too many problems to even suggest that as a standalone. The only thing i would say a 5 gal bucket would be perfectly suited for would be if you had one clone and needed 20 more and said fuck it im bout to throw this bitch in this one bucket for like a week or so until it grows out 20 good cuts and then kill the plant and put the bucket back in the storage. That literally is the only scenerio i can see dwc in a 5 gal bucket being practical and best suited for the application.
My experiences don't correspond to yours. I live in Alaska, not in a very populated place. Nearest grow store is a 10 hour drive in the Summer. I can only get air freight, and it's ex-pen-sive. My electricity regularly browns and multi-hour (sometimes multi-day) outages are monthly to quarterly occurrences. Also, my home has an underground tank for all household water. Since this must delivered when it's -50, it, too, is expensive. The diesel heat, don't even get me started! I grow in a microscopic basement that holds my tent and not much more.

With this in mind, please tell me the specific advantages that RDWC presents over DWC relative to
Rate of nutrient consumption
Electrical use
System set up effort
Access to necessary components
Operation when occasionally stored in unheated facilities
Overall expense of pieces

QuarterbackMo

QuarterbackMo

My experiences don't correspond to yours. I live in Alaska, not in a very populated place. Nearest grow store is a 10 hour drive in the Summer. I can only get air freight, and it's ex-pen-sive. My electricity regularly browns and multi-hour (sometimes multi-day) outages are monthly to quarterly occurrences. Also, my home has an underground tank for all household water. Since this must delivered when it's -50, it, too, is expensive. The diesel heat, don't even get me started! I grow in a microscopic basement that holds my tent and not much more.

With this in mind, please tell me the specific advantages that RDWC presents over DWC relative to
Rate of nutrient consumption
Electrical use
System set up effort
Access to necessary components
Operation when occasionally stored in unheated facilities
Overall expense of pieces
Rate of nute consumption- instead of a single 5 gal bucket with 3 gallons of water by doing rdwc with another 5 gal bucket right next to it as a control bucket now adds another 3 gallons of water to your total. This allows you a lot more room for error on many different levels to start im gonna start on ph.... In a single bucket setup a plant could eat so much the ph can swing from an acceptable range to something drastic like 6.5+ in no time if they are hungry. In rdwc it would take that same bucket 2x as long for that ph to swing that high. Same goes with the opposite where it doesnt eat at all because it drank all the water and now the 1 gallon left in the bucket is now toxic because its still got 3 gallons worth of food in 1 gallon of water and all this happens in 1 days time as opposed to rdwc where it would take much longer for that drastic of a swing to take place.

Second which also has to do with ph but now because your rdwc you have a control bucket which not only holds extra solution to buffer ph, keep nute and water levels constant but it also gives you options and security. Because this control bucket is here with a water pump inside of it you no longer have to worry about your plants not recieving oxygen in an airpump failure, you also never shock the plants when ph'ing or adding food back because instead of dumping the shit in the actual bucket the plant is in you can dump it into the control bucket and let it gradually work its way in there in a heavily diluted form. You can now also hook up a top off rez to make sure your water levels are constant and further grow with ease. Also because this bucket is here you can hook up a multi meter and know exactly where your ph ppm and water temp is at 24/7. I could go on but im sure you get it.

Electrical use is minimal its probably an extra 25 cents a month to run that water pump 24/7.

Setup effort consists of drilling 4 holes for a 1 plant setup and putting in 2 bulkheads and running a feed and drain line. It should take you about 5 min to do this.

Acess to necessary componets- almost everything you need is at home depot, meijer, or a pet store. You always have the option of ordering shit online.

Unheated facilites are great rdwc loves them i run my water at 60 degrees in the last 3 weeks they dont mind. Same risk as dwc or any other grow method as far as cold weather damage goes.

I say for $25 to $100 you could have a nice rdwc setup depending on the size your going to roll with. The only extra expense is a water pump which is like 20-30 for a bigger one less for a smaller one and the bulkheads which are like $6 for the both and a piece of tubing or 2 which is like $5 max this is for one plant.

DrRabbit

DrRabbit

Okay, so RDWC
Uses more water than DWC
Uses more nutrients
Uses more electricity
Is more difficult and costly to setup
Uses some specialized parts that aren't remotely available
Includes water pumps (remember is gets -50 or -60 here)
And it's more expensive.

So, other than your opinion about how well it works for you (and I'm sure it does), it seems a poor choice for me. Using more consumables and electricity, increasing system complexity and bulk, and spending more money just have no appeal to me.

I know that you can order stuff online. It's expensive here, since there's no ground shipment, only air freight. It can cost more to ship things than the item's cost. And if shipped during about six months, those shipped items will be frozen.

sixstring

sixstring

sometimes simple is all you want.i always tell folks looking to try hydro to try a 5 gal dwc setup just for the facts that it is easy to run 1 bucket and very cheap to set one up.2.50 for a lowes bucket,5 bucks for a large netpot,2 bucks for airstones,10-20 for a walmart airpump,and a few bucks worth of hydroton.why all the banter about rdwc I don't get ito_O maybe the op doesn't know yet that he doesn't like growing hydro,why would we talk him into hundreds of dollars worth of gear to find out later he was born to run dirt lol.you's guys:clown:

sedate

sedate

sometimes simple is all you want.i always tell folks looking to try hydro to try a 5 gal dwc setup just for the facts that it is easy to run 1 bucket and very cheap

I have to agree with six....

Jeeze I remember this thread.

Yea you guys are right on. The way to do hydro is to start small and make sure you get what is going on - and the $30 in parts a stand-alone DWC bucket takes is certainly the way to go before you plunge in with a giant motherfucker like Quarterback is running his mouth/beating his chest about.

I can't imagine a grower asking the questions the OP asked would be successful running an expert-level mutli-light system like Quarterback has - nevermind how much $$$ the OP would be set-back if actually tried to build that, got to week 4, and failed - as almost any neophyte would do in that situation.

Anyway - here's a stand-alone hydrobucket I did last summer, as I pull on the gloves to take her down:

July2012 051

sixstring

sixstring

this was a masterkush I started in a 5 gal bucket with the parts I listed above,i ended up finishing it in a 6 gal bucket because I needed more root space lol.she was vegged for 10 weeks on ionic nutes and flowered under a 600hps on ionic and nitrozyme,room temps were about 82-84f lights on and 68-70 at night.my res was always around 73-75f so I used the nitrozyme to help the roots stay clean.if you run these buckets in a room with 75f lights on and 65f lights off your res will never really go above 70-71f.super simple setup,i just pull the plant out of the bucket and put it in an empty 5 gal while I did my res changes and top offs.gl
wk 2 of 12/12
Dro bucket wk 2

week 8
Hydro 6 24 10 087

sedate

sedate

Yea six those are spectacular plants.

Nice work - I think both pics are excellent. I think I will mosey over to your thread there and have a gander - #2 above is especially impressive. Lovely symmetry that late in flower - what are you using for structural support?

sixstring

sixstring

that girl did pretty well on her own until about the last week,i just put a string around the 10-12 biggest colas about half way up the plant.

ken dog

ken dog

here is my 7 gallon bucket set up with a res and pump and so it becomes a recirculating deep water culture.

2 air stones in the bucket, & 2 in the res.

I have an inch and a half hole drilled in the bottom of the bucket, with a pump pushing water into the bucket, & an inch and a half hole drilled just below the bottom of the net pot.

in the second picture, it is a newly transplanted clone, 1 day old.

20130903 070440
20130905 121008
woodsmaneh

woodsmaneh

Okay, so RDWC
Uses more water than DWC
Uses more nutrients
Uses more electricity
Is more difficult and costly to setup
Uses some specialized parts that aren't remotely available
Includes water pumps (remember is gets -50 or -60 here)
And it's more expensive.

So, other than your opinion about how well it works for you (and I'm sure it does), it seems a poor choice for me. Using more consumables and electricity, increasing system complexity and bulk, and spending more money just have no appeal to me.

I know that you can order stuff online. It's expensive here, since there's no ground shipment, only air freight. It can cost more to ship things than the item's cost. And if shipped during about six months, those shipped items will be frozen.

Uses more water than DWC I don't think so
Uses more nutrients Uses 1/2 the amount of DWC
Uses more electricity YES to run everything
Is more difficult and costly to setup YUP and it takes a while to get it figgered out!
Uses some specialized parts that aren't remotely available No so
Includes water pumps (remember is gets -50 or -60 here) Yes but your pumps are indoors not outside.Y
And it's more expensive. Yes it is

So why do it?

9 plants in 30 gal pods with 250gal water with 4 1000w = nine to fifteen pounds

That's why ^^^^^^^

Here are some pix and feel free to check out my other threads with tons of pix.

Not easy to get the hang off but when you do it's the only way to go.

When you have a limited plant count RDWC is a great way to go.

IMGP6739
IMGP6742
IMGP6743
IMGP6747
IMGP6748
IMGP6751
IMGP6752

J

Jalisco Kid

If it gets that cold a pump would help things stay warmer and freeze less. I would say a chow mix in a 10 gal sack would be easier. If I lived that far in the boonies I would want to make sure I had some herb to keep me going crazy in the winter.
The extra nutes you could use to treat your soil for the summer,nothing wasted. If money is that tight to worry about running a small pump a chow mix would help.
Showing pics of bud does not mean crap as to what the sys can do. Its like putting a big tit woman next to a car in the carshow. A fine ride does not need a lot of ads.
JK
Years of running almost everyway you can grow from being dirt poor to money was no object I would say rdwc is better then dwc. And I would say my tanks are the best way to go,but they start at 200 and run over 500 per tank.So that is out of the question here,but you could always copy them.

stickyfing3rs

stickyfing3rs

what you got for tanks jk? I've seen a couple pictures around here i think. you got a website or anything
If it gets that cold a pump would help things stay warmer and freeze less. I would say a chow mix in a 10 gal sack would be easier. If I lived that far in the boonies I would want to make sure I had some herb to keep me going crazy in the winter.
The extra nutes you could use to treat your soil for the summer,nothing wasted. If money is that tight to worry about running a small pump a chow mix would help.
Showing pics of bud does not mean crap as to what the sys can do. Its like putting a big tit woman next to a car in the carshow. A fine ride does not need a lot of ads.
JK
Years of running almost everyway you can grow from being dirt poor to money was no object I would say rdwc is better then dwc. And I would say my tanks are the best way to go,but they start at 200 and run over 500 per tank.So that is out of the question here,but you could always copy them.

QuarterbackMo

QuarterbackMo

JK
^^^ I left this thread alone a while ago because of the retardedness being preached but if this guy is telling you rdwc is better then Dwc that's like the nail in the coffin to the argument for the Dwc guys. You guys ain't fuckin with Jalisco Kid this dude is like a 5 star fully decorated general on here. Stop spreading bad advice listen to the pros lol.

Latest posts

Top Bottom