Pros....Cons.... of DWC

• Thread starter truebluezzzz
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
med man

med man

Breeder
i love dwc. its pretty dummy proof for a hydro system. and can handle fluctuations in ppm and ph pretty well.

i could make a thread on my med-man tables dwc system for the farm. all bought with lumber and hardware supplies. real cheap.

what size you thinking? space / res wise? i have done tons of dwc. very consistent and hard to muck up

med-man

sedate

sedate

^^^ I left this thread alone a while ago because of the retardedness being preached but if this guy is telling you rdwc is better then Dwc that's like the nail in the coffin to the argument for the Dwc guys. You guys ain't fuckin with Jalisco Kid this dude is like a 5 star fully decorated general on here. Stop spreading bad advice listen to the pros lol.

Left this thread alone awhile ago. Yup.

One.
More.
Time...to the significant risk of an anurism - I am going to re-iterate what I said earlier in the thread:

Neophyte growers, or anyone on a budget for that matter - should not undertake an RDWC grow on the level that QMo has suggested above.

QMo's continued inability to appreciate the distinctions made previously in this thread is truly flabbergasting, nevermind the logical inconsistencies of QMo's argument - which here, latin-ized, is "Argumentum ab auctoritate" or a meaningless appeal to authority. If anyone is interested:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argument_from_authority,

and more broadly,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fallacies

Anyway, QMo is arguing a position that only he has defended anyway, since no one before JK discussing dwc has said the method is "better," only that it is most certainly better for new growers asking simple questions.

Which is a distinction I imagine JK would himself agree with.

I understand that distinction has somehow been lost on QMo throughout his entire involvement in this thread.

This is not to suggest RDWC growing is not among the most effective methods of production - it is - it is however among the most complex and expensive and should only be undertaken by growers that have experience with a bucket or another rez with a net and an air stone and get some mighty-whitey roots going and get an idea of how to rock it in hydro before dropping many $$$ on the most sophisticated commercial system on the market.

RDWC is a great method for experienced growers. The UC is among the best examples of the method - but it certainly is not for anyone just starting in water.

To suggest otherwise was before - and still is - cocky nonsense.

Last edited:
QuarterbackMo

QuarterbackMo

Can you please explain your setup sedate or post pics? I'd just like to see who I'm about to try and preach to one more time...

Chronic Monster

Chronic Monster

Jeeze I remember this thread.

Yea you guys are right on. The way to do hydro is to start small and make sure you get what is going on - and the $30 in parts a stand-alone DWC bucket takes is certainly the way to go before you plunge in with a giant motherfucker like Quarterback is running his mouth/beating his chest about.

I can't imagine a grower asking the questions the OP asked would be successful running an expert-level mutli-light system like Quarterback has - nevermind how much $$$ the OP would be set-back if actually tried to build that, got to week 4, and failed - as almost any neophyte would do in that situation.

Anyway - here's a stand-alone hydrobucket I did last summer, as I pull on the gloves to take her down:

View attachment 333239
Wow what a funny thread.
Rdwc>dwc
But dwc is a nice way to grow as well, and doing a standalone bucket you don't have to put all your eggs in one basket like in an uc system.
It is a cheap way to get a feel for hydroponics, I would get a 10 gallon igloo or rubbermade as the water will stay a bit cooler.

I feel the biggest negative of standalone buckets is not being able to use a chiller.
I have used bubble buckets with great results, similar to sedate(nice bucket mang)and also harvest numbers have taken a nosedive due to high root zone temps and the problems which occur from them.
Id personally do one standalone bucket, and do the rest the plants in chow mix. If the bucket performs well maybe step up to a rdwc system.

K

Kingston3r

yes quarterback you are dead on the money... dwc for your first grow (suggest single site dependant on lighting, using ties to the net pot to open her up and bamboo shoots with twist tie to support her or u could get the fish lines that attach to light fixture,.... but read up on rdwc for the next time. why waste time and effort. i guess some people forget that time is something will will never get back so spend your time in the beginning with proper planning. plus rdwc is the only way to do a scrog. if you have a single plant site that youll need to lift and check and ph, and top off... you cant have a screen above it that your shoving your plants into on the daily. pain in the ass in my opinion.

K

Kingston3r

Wow what a funny thread.
Rdwc>dwc
But dwc is a nice way to grow as well, and doing a standalone bucket you don't have to put all your eggs in one basket like in an uc system.
It is a cheap way to get a feel for hydroponics, I would get a 10 gallon igloo or rubbermade as the water will stay a bit cooler.

I feel the biggest negative of standalone buckets is not being able to use a chiller.
I have used bubble buckets with great results, similar to sedate(nice bucket mang)and also harvest numbers have taken a nosedive due to high root zone temps and the problems which occur from them.
Id personally do one standalone bucket, and do the rest the plants in chow mix. If the bucket performs well maybe step up to a rdwc system.

K

Kingston3r

sorry f'd that up.... but yes the more water you have, the cooler your water will stay,note that later on in flower you will not be able to keep your water levels that high, lowering water levels to half or a 3rd of the bucket in flower is a must in dwc (hense that is why rdwc is optimum because you have the built in top off bucket in your control bucket.) also note that if water temp is a problem do not try to grow in dwc, if you have already started, then you could use hydrogen peroxide, frozen gatorade bottles, or go on ebay and get an 85 dollar aquarium chiller. hydrogen peroxide is a staple with many dwc'ers. rememer no bennies or organics without a chiller, youll be inviting problems.

Mrstylez

Mrstylez

Dwc is the shit! No bad dwc just bad farmers. Learn your shit and that's with whatever method you're using

Junk

Junk

I would only take the advice of a standalone dwc for test purposes only and even thats retarded to me... I think the reason everybody is giving him rdwc tips is because rdwc is the only practical way of doing dwc... I did standalone buckets on my first grow ever because of bad advice on which is superior and it was the most time consuming pain in the ass to keep up with way of growing anything that was ever brought to the growing world. I wish I would have started with a cch2o or similar setup. Rdwc is the only way dwc makes sense unless you feel like keeping up with *insert number of plant sites here* every single day... This includes water levels, ph and everything else that comes along with dwc growing. Have fun keeping up with even 4 plants in a standalone setup everyday. Thats 4 different ph's, 4 different water levels, 4 different eating habits and since theres no control bucket have fun going site to site at week 7 of flower when you can barely crawl through there. To the op take my advice from years of experience now... If your gonna do dwc make sure and I cant stress this enough... MAKE SURE you run a rdwc setup... Idc if its just one plant make it a rdwc. If not you have been foretold your destiny of life in hell lol.

I would agree with the above.

Unless, you are growing small plants. Meaning not a lot of tops, or veg time. I personally don't have a problem servicing 4 buckets. But with the size plants I do, it becomes hard to change the buckets after a while.

Basically, if you can do RDWC with a scrog, I don't think any style of growing is easier. Maintenance wise, or knowledge wise.

Imo, the Pros - Easy to get a good recipe, easy to make said recipe. Stellar plants. Easy maintenance.

Cons - & someone else phrased it this way & it's perfect, so I don't want to take credit...but the moving parts. I went down this morning to check the plants, one of them is mostly dead. I doubt it's coming back either. I'll probably post a pic in a thread.

The air stone went. It somehow, also dried out too much. I'm still mentally working on that part. That bucket was empty, the others were not. With my setup, that isn't supposed to happen. I'm going to start replacing air stones with aqua lungs.

So, I don't really check much on the plants anymore. Once you have a good recipe down you kind of just know. But you do have to check things like the air stones, the pumps etc or you could end up in a situation like my current one. This is however, my first hydro problem, & I've done 13 DWC runs.

You will hear a lot of people talk about PH a lot. I've never found PH to be an issue. You just purchase PH up or down depending on your needs (I don't need it at all) set your PH & it's usually fine. I think the ph problem people generally run into is because they are using ingredients that possibly don't get along. With my recipe, the ph is rock solid. They key to easy hydro, is a tried & true recipe.

In short, I think the growing a good plant part is easier in hydro. I can give you a recipe (pm me). Just follow it exactly as I say & the plant will be a beast.

There is a lot of water involved. I actually net less water use in hydro. However, just because of the way it works, you end up lugging a lot of water around, which a lot of people don't like.

Depending on if you do DWC or RDWC there is the potential for flooding. Even if you stick with straight unplumbed buckets, there is still a chance you can knock them over. Just the fact that you are working with water a lot, increases your chances of a spill. So I wouldn't do hydro unless you were in a basement, or some place where a spill wouldn't matter.

If you are going to do just DWC buckets...unless your room is large I might go with a 3 gallon pail or something. A 5 gallon DWC with a good recipe is going to grow very large plants no matter how you do it. My current run is a batch of monster cropped plants, & the combination of the hydro & the monster cropping, the plants got absolutely out of control halfway through the stretch. They got so big the whole plant would fall over if the bucket was not full.

I had to move to an RDWC system right then & there. I had to scrog all the plants in that moment. I had to do a lot just to save the run.

Part of that was the monster cropping, but a large part of that was just the fact that it's hydro. It makes big plants, so unless you have the space, it may not be for you.

hiboy

hiboy

So should I do my new room in dwc....rdwc or my ol school coco with warrior pots ...
Lol

D

Dabsy805

Keep your room temp in check and you shouldnt ever have a root problem... Dont use organic anything either.
I was wanting to run biobizz in a dwc and I just saw your advice. Why would you advise against organic? Not testing you just wondering why

Junk

Junk

I was wanting to run biobizz in a dwc and I just saw your advice. Why would you advise against organic? Not testing you just wondering why

If you want a killer DWC recipe pm @Stumpy420 I use GH for water, NFTG for soil. The line for "organic" in my opinion is so arbitrary that it's not worth worrying about. Unless that is your whole deal, to produce organic product.

But I've had organic, non organic, soil, hydro, coco, led, CFL, HID....

What nutrients you use will have the least impact in your product vs 1. Light 2. Temperature 3. Co2 4. Humidity 5. Nutes.

I might be wrong on #4, I'm not positive, but the rest, I'm positive I have correct from a study done on cannabis.

If you are not worried about your Co2 levels, worrying about your nutes is useless in my opinion. Just get something that works.

Stumpy's works.

Stumpy420

Stumpy420

Mine works awesome. Lol. It's yum yum if I do say so myself

Latest posts

Top Bottom