Pure Coco Vs Perlite(or Whatever ) Mix What Are The Arguments

• Thread starter cc503
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
ogbluntdoc

ogbluntdoc

good thread, thought i would put in my experience. im a 100% coco grower. my first coco grow was with a 5050 hydroton mix. I then tried pure coco, and have never looked back. I use botanicar coco brix. I put in 3 gal of 50% strength nutes and double strength cal/mag to moisten the brick. no flush of the coco at all. if you use fabric pots with pure coco you can grow trees in a 1 gal container. seriously except its way top heavy lol. all my huge mothers are in 3 gal smart pots and have 3in wide stalks. with huge roots growing growing up above the "top soil" if you will.

in flower i use 1 gal plastic pots, drip fed, not on a timer just by my eyeball and choosing. which i do want to put them on a 1 minute cycle timer. i only veg for about 1 week. get about 80-100 plants in a 4x8 . drain to waste.

I have wanted to try a grow with a layer of perlite or cocoton at the bottom of the pot for better drainage. ive also heard of someone doing a flood and drain with coco. not sure of the details but am curious.

I think a mix of pure coco and the bigger coco chips would be great. think im gonna try that on a few next round.

Canalchemist

Canalchemist

Sounds very good, your any Pics :)? I love seeing the big stalks in the little pots.

ogbluntdoc

ogbluntdoc

This is the only pic I have on me right now. This one shows the roots growing up really well. I'll be at the garden tonight with the huge 1 gal mom's so I'll snap a pic then.

ogbluntdoc

ogbluntdoc

Fresh transplants. Afghan kush special. 1 gal pure coco. I also don't know if I mentioned that I use botanicare KIND line. Very happy. Great trichrome production with this line. Super dense nugs. Average size. Still working on adjusting for a heavier yield I know the plants are capable there just bring hold back by something. But overall the KIND line is amazing in coco.

Canalchemist

Canalchemist

That's sweet, I could put that in the terrarium with my Snake, she could climb all over it. Thanks man much appreciated.

cocoJoe

cocoJoe

I think a mix of pure coco and the bigger coco chips would be great. think im gonna try that on a few next round.

I have done this.. The coco chips needed to be flushed..
I prefer coco coir pieces,, they are a little smaller than the chips..

I still like straight coco coir the best..

Enjoy,,
cocoJoe

cocoJoe

cocoJoe

Okay, Coco Joe, I am back and I can't take my eyes off your profile picture. Can you do a brother a solid and pass on a recipe, it can be in private. Please go to my profile and start a conversation and please, crap now I am begging... That looks so good...

Thanks for your consideration.

My friend I typed the recipe out for you and tried to open a conversation????
So tell me how to get it to you??

You'll luv it,,
cocoJoe

Canalchemist

Canalchemist

Okay I will follow you and then start a conversation, I think that's how it is done, damn it I have to go get some food now that I saw that picture again Mmm Mmm

squarepusher

squarepusher

For all you coco nuts, you can buy pallet's of the 5KG bricks directly from AHS http://americanhort.com/ for $3.50 per brick. Pallet is like 180 bricks so about $650 per. Make sure to wash it from salt well on first expansion.

Much less expensive than hydro store bricks and they are all the same source more or less from what I can tell.

P

Pimples

I will stick to Canna Coco Coir Bricks. Retted..aged...washed..rinsed and buffered the correct way and not steam sterilized. Many subpar coco coir processing operations on the sub continent of India and in Asia in general. Canna will have none of that. I don't know if thier actual supplier is Rio or Pelemix (S.America ???) but these 2 "straight" greenhouse coir suppliers are on point too and process coir to a high standard. Watch for the cheap stuff. Not as prevalent today as in the past but cheap coir is still out there. Could kill some seedlings or clones if you dont treat it before hand.

Last edited:
J

JPyyyy

Question... What is exactly meant by, and what is the purpose of rinsing coir. AND... What percentage (by volume) of rice hulls to rinsed coir are you using Seamaiden and anyone else who is familiar.
P.S... I’ll new to this group and am so impressed.
Thanks for all the great info

P

PharmHand

Question... What is exactly meant by, and what is the purpose of rinsing coir. AND... What percentage (by volume) of rice hulls to rinsed coir are you using Seamaiden and anyone else who is familiar.
P.S... I’ll new to this group and am so impressed.
Thanks for all the great info
If you buy shitty coco it's probably a good idea to rinse it thoroughly since most coco comes from India and Sri Lanka. It's washed initially to remove sea salts but usually with water from heavily polluted water sources like the Ganges river. Stick with a brand like canna coco and rinsing is completely unnecessary. When I first started using coco I'd take a bag of canna cut a hole in it and put a garden hose in it til it leaked heavily. The runoff from canna bags would come out anywhere from 60-150 ppm when putting in 40-60ppm tap water. Did it on a few bags and realized rinsing wasn't needed. Botanicare coco grow ain't bad either, it would come out a little higher tho so I prefer canna. And at 15$ a bag it's pretty hard to complain about cost considering that 15 gal of coco could give you 2+ potatoes

J

JPyyyy

If you buy shitty coco it's probably a good idea to rinse it thoroughly since most coco comes from India and Sri Lanka. It's washed initially to remove sea salts but usually with water from heavily polluted water sources like the Ganges river. Stick with a brand like canna coco and rinsing is completely unnecessary. When I first started using coco I'd take a bag of canna cut a hole in it and put a garden hose in it til it leaked heavily. The runoff from canna bags would come out anywhere from 60-150 ppm when putting in 40-60ppm tap water. Did it on a few bags and realized rinsing wasn't needed. Botanicare coco grow ain't bad either, it would come out a little higher tho so I prefer canna. And at 15$ a bag it's pretty hard to complain about cost considering that 15 gal of coco could give you 2+ potatoes

Thank you!

Top Bottom