Purple stems and red lines: many posts and answers

• Thread starter Moscuba
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Moscuba

Moscuba

I’m a newby but I can grow about anything. My second plant just turned to flower stage. The stems turned purple. Leaves grew red veins at the same time. That happened on my first plant that’s maturing nicely.

Many posts say “too much light”. I have very low stems turning and some some where shaded. I also have a dim-able light made for Cannabis.

All purple stems have branches with flowers. The stalk turned at the same time.

I believe it’s normal for many varities. Mine strain is mostly Sativa. Happy!

Peace and love.

Moscuba

Moscuba

Comprehensive Guide to Red and Purple Cannabis Stems: Causes, Solutions, and When to Worry​

Excellent! No leaf curling, they both turned color at the beginning of flowering. I’m not worried! when flowering started I start adding micro amounts of nutrient to the water: liquid organic to keep the soil healthy.
thank you!

cityfarmer3

cityfarmer3

I'm a newbie and the lower stems on my 3 week old plant are getting purple spots I'm reading it could be just the genetics since she seems pretty happy atm I haven't started nutes yet but I was thinking of starting in the next couple of feedings so what do you think should I be worried?

Gorilla Glue #4 Auto
Melonfarm 2x2x4
Spiderfarmer sf1000 evo
Ac infinity cloudline pro 4
Layered mix of Fox farm Happy Frog on top and Ocean Forest underneath mixed with pearlite
pH has been 6.6 - 6.7 each feeding
Day temps and humidity 70-73 at 60 - 63%
Night 65 -69 at 58% - to 63%

I don't know why in the pics they look kinda brown because it's definitely more of a purplish color

PXL 20240423 094849447
PXL 20240423 094903072
cityfarmer3

cityfarmer3

I'm a newbie and the lower stems on my 3 week old plant are getting purple spots I'm reading it could be just the genetics since she seems pretty happy atm I haven't started nutes yet but I was thinking of starting in the next couple of feedings so what do you think should I be worried?

Gorilla Glue #4 Auto
Melonfarm 2x2x4
Spiderfarmer sf1000 evo
Layered mix of Fox farm Happy Frog on top and Ocean Forest underneath mixed with pearlite

I don't know why in the pics they look kinda brown because it's definitely more of a purplish color

As long as she's thriving, there's no need to worry.
Thanks appreciate it but that just means I'll have to find something else to worry about 🤣

Moscuba

Moscuba

Gorilla Glue #4 Auto
Melonfarm 2x2x4
Spiderfarmer sf1000 evo

Many varieties will have purple. The variety I grow stalk turns purple when getting mature and when tricomes start the leaves turn too especially the leaves at the flower. It's genetics.

LoveGrowingIt

LoveGrowingIt

Supporter
The color is the pigment anthocyanin. Many plants produce this pigment for various reasons. There's a lot of information about it. If the plant is doing well, it probably isn't a concern. This pigment gives color to many fruits, including blueberries and raspberries.

In cannabis, production of anthocyanin can be genetic, but most often it's a stress response, which isn't necessarily bad. The right amount of stress can cause the plant to produce better buds. Stress in this regard is known as "eustress," which means "beneficial stress." The opposite of eustress is described by the more common word "distress," which is bad stress. (The prefixes "eu" and "dis" are from Greek and mean "good" and "bad," respectively.) The positive effect of eustress is known as "hormesis." The goal for the grower is to introduce enough stress in the plant to achieve hormesis without creating distress.

Top Bottom