Pythium/ root zone

• Thread starter Neverfold420
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
N

Neverfold420

What is the best thing to use to rid the early signs of root rot? I'm going to grow store today.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

What is the best thing to use to rid the early signs of root rot? I'm going to grow store today.
Your in hydro right? RDWC if I remember correctly. Are you running bacteria or enzymes? Live or sterile system?

N

Neverfold420

Your in hydro right? RDWC if I remember correctly. Are you running bacteria or enzymes? Live or sterile system?
I run hydroguard , but i I made a critical error into starting my plants and all Rockwool fill the basket Rockwool well and stayed saturated and gave me some issues. Had to cut most of the Rockwell out and replaced with hydroton it shocked them bc the roots were damaged in process the tap root in tact but hurt them still only the two were like this. So I may have caused it. The Rockwool was staying super soggy. So I'm thinking about a poroxide treatment.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I run hydroguard , but i I made a critical error into starting my plants and all Rockwool fill the basket Rockwool well and stayed saturated and gave me some issues. Had to cut most of the Rockwell out and replaced with hydroton it shocked them bc the roots were damaged in process the tap root in tact but hurt them still only the two were like this. So I may have caused it. The Rockwool was staying super soggy. So I'm thinking about a poroxide treatment.
No don't use peroxide. Mix 2-4ml of hydrogaurd in a litre of hydrogaurd and pour from the top. Hydrogaurd will kill pythium. And h2o2 will kill your hydrogaurd.

It may not even be root rot but just a bacteria bloom.
Do you have pics

And don't do anything yet let figure this out

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Damn all was good then bam
It's not bad. Temp adjust some ph'ed tap water then gently rinse the roots with it getting any and all slime on it. Mix up some hydrogaurd after in distilled water 2-4ml a L and pour from the top. Do this for 3 days no matter how the roots look. Should be gone by then. Make sure you have the res doses appropriately as per directions on hydrogaurd.

I don't see anything that 100% says root rot.

N

Neverfold420

Email me I'll send num talk about what to do one to grow store what should I get
It's not bad. Temp adjust some ph'ed tap water then gently rinse the roots with it getting any and all slime on it. Mix up some hydrogaurd after in distilled water 2-4ml a L and pour from the top. Do this for 3 days no matter how the roots look. Should be gone by then. Make sure you have the res doses appropriately as per directions on hydrogaurd.

I don't see anything that 100% says root rot.
Good I went to grow store and got uc root zone is a root zone enhancer also helps keep clean I'm at besco water now getting 50 gal of water. Going to drain entire system and run just 1/4 strength and uc roots till the hammer drops. I do all myself frfr but, everyone got there hand out when shit is good. I'm going through it ATM I put a lot in this. So thank you for all you help. It all started hn I had to cut the Rockwool out of the pot net.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Email me I'll send num talk about what to do one to grow store what should I get

Good I went to grow store and got uc root zone is a root zone enhancer also helps keep clean I'm at besco water now getting 50 gal of water. Going to drain entire system and run just 1/4 strength and uc roots till the hammer drops. I do all myself frfr but, everyone got there hand out when shit is good. I'm going through it ATM I put a lot in this. So thank you for all you help. It all started hn I had to cut the Rockwool out of the pot net.
Not sure what your asking for? You want me to email you?

Don't use if roots with hydrogaurd. Either go sterile and drop hydrogaurd or stay with hydrogaurd. Especially for root rot I would stay with hydrogaurd.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I was gonna have u email me would be easier over phone to explain
Ahhh ok. You can use the UC roots to rinse the roots if you like but don't put it in the system if running hydrogaurd. The bacteria in hydrogaurd have been used for many years in agriculture to kill pythium. So I would stick to that.

But the key is to remove the slime off the roots. Hydrogaurd will kill not only they pythium but also the infected tissue which you want since pythium infexts and penetrates to root. It will work faster than UC roots or h2o2 because of this.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Rinse roots in diluted if solution then rinse with plain water and then mix hydrogaurd in 2-4x the recommended dosage in to a gallon and pour over the top to inoculate the entire root zone.

B

Burned Haze

If your not going “ sterile “ use Rootsheild plus to protect your roots from bad pathogens. Each application last for 8-12weeks and after I started doing this i noticed the bad pathogens were the thing that not only killed a lot of my seedlings but infected my plants from the start.

• Grows in soil and on roots, shields roots from pathogens
  • Seeks out, attacks and eats fungal pathogens
  • Induces host resistance
  • Active over wide temperature range (48-97 °F/9-36 °C)
  • Grows in wide pH range (pH 4-8)
  • Compatible with many chemical and biological inputs

• Well suited to a wide range of soil types
  • Enhances nutrient uptake
  • Helps plants resist/overcome abiotic stresses and transplant shock
  • Does not interfere with beneficial insects
  • Exempt from residue
  • Excellent tool for fungicide resistance management
  • Prevents Fusarium, Phytophthora, Pythium, Rhizoctonia among other plant root diseases

Anther tip is don’t rely on the “ keep your water on under 70f rule?” For hydro, get a up bulb, than all plumbing, hoses and Rez need to be ethier cleaned, stelized or replaced to make it so you can guarantee that your uv water isn’t being contaminated. to get better water flow use a kdf85 + sediment filter instead of r/o ( install before uv) and then buy a “ whole house 12 gph , than you can have tons of water and it’s fast and guaranteed clean. If your water ppm 100 , get a r/o and get a lower gph up and do it anther way

Last edited by a moderator:
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

If your not going “ sterile “ use Rootsheild plus to protect your roots from bad pathogens. Each application last for 8-12weeks and after I started doing this i noticed the bad pathogens were the thing that not only killed a lot of my seedlings but infected my plants from the start.

• Exempt from residue
  • Prevents Fusarium, Phytophthora, Pythium, Rhizoctonia among other plant root diseases

Can be used in hydroponics? I know the bacteria in hydrogaurd do not reproduce well in a solution there are ways around that but won't get into that. You can easily see the different application rates when the same bacteria are used in soil

Would that be the case for this?

B

Burned Haze

Can be used in hydroponics? I know the bacteria in hydrogaurd do not reproduce well in a solution there are ways around that but won't get into that. You can easily see the different application rates when the same bacteria are used in soil

Would that be the case for this?

They have application rates for hydro ( I will recheck tonight to confirm when I got more time ) and I was even suggested rates when I called them when I did it for my aero cloner ( thing was if you add too many tones the fungi is so active it was lifting my top off lol, soo alive even without sugars )

Anther thing is only reason I I got this product was from the hydro thread “ dudding” ( I’ll find it and give ya a link ) and they mentioned Rootsheild many times so I tried it cause they were mention g all the good values. After talking to the company it sounded great for me, well I really love it and it reallly goes along way for me when I do 3-4 applications in a round ( I even did my veggies and was over applying. Everything , and still have some left. I didn’t want to have it expire)

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

They have application rates for hydro ( I will recheck tonight to confirm when I got more time ) and I was even suggested rates when I called them when I did it for my aero cloner ( thing was if you add too many tones the fungi is so active it was lifting my top off lol, soo alive even without sugars )

Anther thing is only reason I I got this product was from the hydro thread “ dudding” ( I’ll find it and give ya a link ) and they mentioned Rootsheild many times so I tried it cause they were mention g all the good values. After talking to the company it sounded great for me, well I really love it and it reallly goes along way for me when I do 3-4 applications in a round ( I even did my veggies and was over applying. Everything , and still have some left. I didn’t want to have it expire)
I'm gonna see if I can get this in Canada and do some more research on it. If it's a bacteria I'm not sure I would mix hydrogaurd and that but rather go one or the other since they will try to outcompete eachother. But if it's an enzyme or fungi I would definitely run both. I can't comment on it because I haven't used it but it's looks like it could be a promising replacement. Of course it would depend on the food source they prefer it's possible both could coexist as many other bacteria do

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

@Burned Haze bro here is this. I would run both to have an almost bullet proof grow. I'm gonna find this and give it a go in my next hydro run but that will be some time yet.

B

Burned Haze

@Burned Haze bro here is this. I would run both to have an almost bullet proof grow. I'm gonna find this and give it a go in my next hydro run but that will be some time yet.

If you by enzymes , look up pondzyme with barley

not only if you look at the concatenation level vs the indoor grow /bottled and agricultural version sold . It’s super cheap and concentrated ( there’s multiple threads about it and people suggested it and that’s how I found about it ). So any of those bottled enzymes are just junk and if you look at population counts or efficiency ( it’s nothing or waste )

It’s like 1 tablespoon does 100 gallons (you can’t beat it,I 2x it and always have had good results + add it to my small fountain pond )

N

Neverfold420

• Exempt from residue

Anther tip is don’t rely on the “ keep your water on under 70f rule?” For hydro, get a up bulb, than all plumbing, hoses and Rez need to be ethier cleaned, stelized or replaced to make it so you can guarantee that your uv water isn’t being contaminated. to get better water flow use a kdf85 + sediment filter instead of r/o ( install before uv) and then buy a “ whole house 12 gph , than you can have tons of water and it’s fast and guaranteed clean. If your water ppm 100 , get a r/o and get a lower gph up and do it anther way
I got a contract with besco 2$ per 5 gallons comes off at 0 ppm. Yup I drained whole system and ran the watermax for 12!hours then I'll add hydroguard to finish up the job. Talked to my botanist friend who gave me the equation same stsrem I built his.and he is running same strain. He ram watermax for 12 by itself then added his hydroguard. His roots white and pearly. All slim gone after all done I'll run hydroguard for rest of entire grow.
Thank u for all the help Soo much.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I got a contract with besco 2$ per 5 gallons comes off at 0 ppm. Yup I drained whole system and ran the watermax for 12!hours then I'll add hydroguard to finish up the job. Talked to my botanist friend who gave me the equation same stsrem I built his.and he is running same strain. He ram watermax for 12 by itself then added his hydroguard. His roots white and pearly. All slim gone after all done I'll run hydroguard for rest of entire grow.
Thank u for all the help Soo much.
Essentially your doing the same thing with more work. Rinsing the roots and then adding hydrogaurd. Only much biggest cost and time. But yes that will work

B

Burned Haze

Watch this video examining if you run a uv bulb , it will eliminate the use of using chillers and having to run all your stuff at under 70f (it’s the bad pathogens that re making you to do that ) think if you run all those chillers ( that’s 25%+ of your energy bill of your grow plus buying them and maintenance if needed) if you can use no chillers ( that’s so awesome and be @ higher temps meaning allowing to use it at room temps )

the guy on this video knows what his talking about ( his a hydro master) and he def is telling you once you go uv and make sure your lines and hoses are clean and brand new to it. Your going to be way more jail free than a water chiller !

Right now I’m installing my 12 gph uv for my vegroom and all I will have connected to it is a clean hose and I will refill my Rez and cloner. Only issue I saw in the video compared to what reviews of the uv and the uv manufacturer mapped was they wanted the kdf85 (filter for well water )+ sediment filter before the uv to capture any sediment/contamination and protect the uv ( the video maker didn’t do that, I’m doing that just like everyone I found online beside him did )

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom