Question about hortilux blue MH

• Thread starter CheechWizard
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
CheechWizard

CheechWizard

I need some advice on my hortilux blue MH 1000 watt. (this thing wasn't cheap) I bought this bulb about two months ago and now I'm getting white flaking on the inside of the bulb. It looks like part of the coating is coming off. Is this just cosmetic or should I take this thing back and get a replacement? :character0201:

img_5349.jpg

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I don't care who makes the bulb, that doesn't look right.

E

easypleasie

Let us know what you find out, man. I've had a couple of these bulbs do the same thing. What ballasts are you using with yours?

CheechWizard

CheechWizard

The ballast is made by High Yield (cool star) magnetic coil (the green one).

S

SSHZ

Many of my halides have done this in the past. I've inquired about it and was told it's normal and it won't effect the quality/life of the bulb.......

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Many of my halides have done this in the past. I've inquired about it and was told it's normal and it won't effect the quality/life of the bulb.......
Interesting, I've never seen this, not even with the MHs from 20 years ago. Did they say what the material is, what causes it, or anything else about it?

T

TheDrizzle

I'm curious as well. I have a 400w blue that has been working well, now I have to check it when the light goes off!

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
My cheap-O $20 Lowe's 400W MH bulb has shown nothing like that. When I worked aquatic trade I don't remember seeing anything like that. Those are a different spectrum, but they're still MH bulbs.

CheechWizard

CheechWizard

The hydrostore took it back. My friend thought it was a bad bulb also and it got swapped out.

B

BoCo Buds

Basically the same thing... ran the Blue's this last round & they all do this.

Hortilux actually has rubber banded tags to each of the bulbs explaining that this flaking is normal & expected... kinda surprised the store took it back.

The replacements will do the same, but shit, if they keep trading ya out... ;-)

O

OldSchool

Hortilux blue MH for $50.00 1000watts

I ordered this bulb (1000bulbs.com) approx 6months ago (was $30 then) looks like Hort blue spec, been having great results, at a cheaper price. They also have other EYE products, prices are great.

Peace

J

Jalisco Kid

I ordered this bulb (1000bulbs.com) approx 6months ago (was $30 then) looks like Hort blue spec, been having great results, at a cheaper price. They also have other EYE products, prices are great.

Peace

Which bulb do you feel has similar specs? JK

O

OldSchool

At 1000bulb.com. type in "eye 1000" in search box.
This bulb has less orange & red vs blue bulb, but for vegging and the price and savings of ??? its worth the look.Certainly seems to be better then reg MH for about same price plus its Horti. My plants seem to like this one better,vs last one being reg MH,2nd set grow with this bulb.
I see they are selling "Hortilux Super Enhance Spec" 1000 HPS for $ 76.00 dallors, that a heck of a deal.

Peace

C

c4NN4daze

Hortilux is a reputable company....By no means should this be labeled regular or normal. I paid 119 for my Red/Blue Hortilux bulb and if this happened, I'd hope you would give me a replacement. Happy Harvests! CD

BlueberryLovr

BlueberryLovr

Interesting...I'm going to be running this bulb on a Lumatek ballast soon. Let's see if flaking happens to mine as well.

W

WSRidahs

I run mines on a Lumatek and never had flaking. I run it on with the ballast switch on super lumens too.

T

treehugger

Yes, but it's like sunlight through a dirty window.

At room temp a "dirty window", but at ignition an electric arc vaporizes those compounds , and the particular formulation produces the particular light spectrum they are specifying. I am guessing that normal MH's don't express this condition because of their own particular dope compound.

Latest posts

Top Bottom