Question about water for outdoor organic garden

• Thread starter Afghi420
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Afghi420

Afghi420

I have a question about my well water... It has a high ph of 8.2 with a ppm of around 185. Not sure yet what that 185 consists of.. Im trying to pull off my first outdoor organic grow.. m wondering about my water's ph level and ppm.. Is the ph and ppm's too high to be using on my outdoor plants.. The plants are in holes in the ground. I basically undertsnad how the microlife works and about cooking your soil and all that, im just wondering what is the best way to water my plants.. Should i just use my well water, or should i buy some bottled water with a ppm of around 75, or should i be using RO water with some calmg added or somehting? For a fertilizer im planning on just using Organicare Grow+Bloom Pure granular and just top dressing with this every couple weeks.. Im growing Iranian Autoflower and i have 3 rockstar kush plants. I don't have very long to let my soil cvook, only 3 or 4 weeks. I want to do my best to not wipe out my microlife by using the wrong kind of water, or by using ph up or down's... I can get some big 8 bottled water here locally that has a ph of 6.5 and a ppm of 75 and i guess i could go to the grocery store and get pure ro water if i need to. I haven't done a real organic grow before but i figure it's got to be a lot easier to try and pull it off outdoor's first atleast.. As long as i innoculate my holes properly and don't wipe out the microlife throughout the grow i should be good shouldn't I ? For my holes i've got some bagged Organic soil/sheep shit/ worm castings/dolomite lime and was going to add a little bit of pro mix just for texture. I will add some grass clippings and dried leaves to each of my holes then let them sit for a month or close to atleast, turning the holes over once and awhile.. Is this the right thing to be doing? The Rockstar Kush will probably grow like a normal plant, hopefully it will even finish on time, the Iranians from what i hear go into bud almost immediatly once placed outside, and finish within about 45 days, so they should be done by mid august.. Since the iranian's will be entering into bud phase very quickly once placed outside i don't want to have too much slow release nitrogen in those holes.. Would it be ok to put some high phospherus bat guano into the holes, as long as it cooks for a few weeks?

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
Good question..I have wondered about my well water too.
My well water is 250ppm and the ph is around 7.5...Been using it like that for everthing for a few years now..
works fine....maybe better than fine.

add some pearlite or something for drainage...leave out the grass clippings

sixstring

sixstring

i think it depends alot on your soil and whats in the water.i have pretty sandy soil here but i been adding my rootballs from indoor and leaves from fall cleanups for years so my soil is well drained but getting good n black.my well is 8.0-8.2 and around 550ppm but my outdoor plants always do fine with my well water.i dont fert my girls except once around september with a seaweed based 0-4-5 nitrozyme.you could get it tested these days at alot of growstores and water softener stores for pretty cheap.gl

organicozarks

organicozarks

My well water is around 8-8.5 and all plants inside, and out love it.

Afghi420

Afghi420

Good question..I have wondered about my well water too.
My well water is 250ppm and the ph is around 7.5...Been using it like that for everthing for a few years now..
works fine....maybe better than fine.

add some pearlite or something for drainage...leave out the grass clippings

well the grass clippings/dried leaves are good for innoculating your soil with microlife from what i understand... Remember i am talking strictly organic growing here, where you feed your plants by supplying your microlife with everything they need, which in turn will feed your plants.

Afghi420

Afghi420

i think it depends alot on your soil and whats in the water.i have pretty sandy soil here but i been adding my rootballs from indoor and leaves from fall cleanups for years so my soil is well drained but getting good n black.my well is 8.0-8.2 and around 550ppm but my outdoor plants always do fine with my well water.i dont fert my girls except once around september with a seaweed based 0-4-5 nitrozyme.you could get it tested these days at alot of growstores and water softener stores for pretty cheap.gl

I do want to get my water tested, obviously it would tell me so much information, valuable info.. Im just in a rental home right now, im on a few acres out in the sticks but won't be here permanantly, but hopefully in the next year or so i will get into my own house again and have tons of space and privacy, man i miss that! Anyway, i dug my holes right in my lawn, the first couple inches of earth underneath my lawn was some serious black healthy looking shit, but it quickly gets very clay filled, id say probably 70 % clay atleast.. We had tons of rain today and i noticed some water staying in atleast one of my holes. I am planning on using a lot of perlite, i bought a few extra bags today, along with a few more bags of compost. I used the pick and chopped up the bottom's of my holes real good so the roots will have some broken up loose shit to dig down in to.. Im going to get out and do that a bit more then put a couple inches of perlite on the bottoms of the hole, with a few inches of native soil underneath that, i will mix the perlite into my medium pretty heavy as well. I wanted to use some mulch on top mainly just to cover up the perlite from the air, is using a bed of mulch on top of my holes ok? About the well water too, with my well water being 8.2 i was ph'ing it down to 6.5 or so when i do an indoor grow, but what puzzled me was whenever i start seeds i just use my well water and continue to use it usually until i start actually feeding the plants in a couple weeks, and i have never seemed to have any strange ph roblems with my young seedlings, wouldn't you think a ph of 8.2 would fuck things up fast, im talking indoors here though, wasn't an organic grow... I guess for the outdoors ladies i will jjust use straight well water, i should have enough goodness in the soil to take care of them for awhile, and i can top dress a little with the prganicare later on if i need to.. Off topic i have one other question, when these guys grow these big tree's in northern Cali and grow real nice outdoor organic plants do they just give straight water the whole time? Is it because they use such big pots or holes that they can supply the plants with whats in the soil all season, or would they sometimes give a tea to their outdoor plants? Or maybe top dress with a good organic fert? I don't totally understand the whole outdoor organic thing yet. Guess that's why the Rev always stresses how you need to have a total mind shift when doing organics, got to resist the urge to want to bottle feed the plants with extra's...

Afghi420

Afghi420

I do want to get my water tested, obviously it would tell me so much information, valuable info.. Im just in a rental home right now, im on a few acres out in the sticks but won't be here permanantly, but hopefully in the next year or so i will get into my own house again and have tons of space and privacy, man i miss that! Anyway, i dug my holes right in my lawn, the first couple inches of earth underneath my lawn was some serious black healthy looking shit, but it quickly gets very clay filled, id say probably 70 % clay atleast.. We had tons of rain today and i noticed some water staying in atleast one of my holes. I am planning on using a lot of perlite, i bought a few extra bags today, along with a few more bags of compost. I used the pick and chopped up the bottom's of my holes real good so the roots will have some broken up loose shit to dig down in to.. Im going to get out and do that a bit more then put a couple inches of perlite on the bottoms of the hole, with a few inches of native soil underneath that, i will mix the perlite into my medium pretty heavy as well. I wanted to use some mulch on top mainly just to cover up the perlite from the air, is using a bed of mulch on top of my holes ok? About the well water too, with my well water being 8.2 i was ph'ing it down to 6.5 or so when i do an indoor grow, but what puzzled me was whenever i start seeds i just use my well water and continue to use it usually until i start actually feeding the plants in a couple weeks, and i have never seemed to have any strange ph roblems with my young seedlings, wouldn't you think a ph of 8.2 would fuck things up fast, im talking indoors here though, wasn't an organic grow... I guess for the outdoors ladies i will jjust use straight well water, i should have enough goodness in the soil to take care of them for awhile, and i can top dress a little with the prganicare later on if i need to.. Off topic i have one other question, when these guys grow these big tree's in northern Cali and grow real nice outdoor organic plants do they just give straight water the whole time? Is it because they use such big pots or holes that they can supply the plants with whats in the soil all season, or would they sometimes give a tea to their outdoor plants? Or maybe top dress with a good organic fert? I don't totally understand the whole outdoor organic thing yet. Guess that's why the Rev always stresses how you need to have a total mind shift when doing organics, got to resist the urge to want to bottle feed the plants with extra's...They had some pretty positive stuff to say about this company Better World and this bug frass they make, sounds like nice stuff for organics...

Afghi420

Afghi420

Just wanted to ask about your ppm as well, isn't 550 really high? I thought my 185 or so was a little bit high, ofcourse i have no idea what that 185 is made up of at all, which would help. Do you use straight well water on indoor plants as well without issue?

sixstring

sixstring

yeah 550 is high and i dont use that on my indoor stuff i use r/o.but for my outdoor stuff it works as long as i dont try to add any other nutes.so i just hit em hard one time in early bloom with the 0-4-5.if i was in a more clay soil my water probably would not work so good,but my garden veggies and random pot plants do good like that.

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
well the grass clippings/dried leaves are good for innoculating your soil with microlife from what i understand... Remember i am talking strictly organic growing here, where you feed your plants by supplying your microlife with everything they need, which in turn will feed your plants.

Awesome..I like that alot! I wish I could say I do that...I do try...I'm an Organic soil farmer too. And Reuse my soil.
and Compost the old roots in my beds during winter..Worms are living in all my beds..and they break stuff down nicely
I have to add more soil(store bought) and I add amendments (fish, kelp,molassas, Microlife too)

Im new at growing cannabis (3 yrs) But, I grew tomatoes right in a compost bin a few years ago...and Im still using that same soil and breading the worms that i found in it :)

I think the Hardness in the water may be good for the plants...Minerals..Ya know?

Afghi420

Afghi420

Awesome..I like that alot! I wish I could say I do that...I do try...I'm an Organic soil farmer too. And Reuse my soil.
and Compost the old roots in my beds during winter..Worms are living in all my beds..and they break stuff down nicely
I have to add more soil(store bought) and I add amendments (fish, kelp,molassas, Microlife too)

Im new at growing cannabis (3 yrs) But, I grew tomatoes right in a compost bin a few years ago...and Im still using that same soil and breading the worms that i found in it :)

I think the Hardness in the water may be good for the plants...Minerals..Ya know?

Well i know my seedlings and young vegging plants seem to do fine with my straight well water ph 8.2... ppm 185.. Looks like we finally got some sun here today, i think i will get out and get my mix into all my holes so they will hopefully have 3 weeks atleast to cook.. Do you think i should be covering my holes with something so they don't get soaking wet during times of heavy rain? Or does that matter for cooking? Im feeling pretty positive about my holes this year.. I really hope my plants like the mix.. They should get sunshine all day long right up until about 7pm or so where they start to get shaded by some tree's, but up until then they are pretty much right out in the open. I would like to someday when im on my own acerage to have a decent sized greenhouse, and grow in the ground in a greenhouse.. Basically have the entire floor of the greenhouse turned over anually and reused, eventually over time building up an amazing mix.. It would be nice to be able to shield from rain at all time as well, especially in my area where pretty much after mid august the temps drop at night to around 10 Celcius or a bit lower. So having morning dew on your plants past mid-late august and morning temps being very low you need to be out shaking your plants every morning or you seriously run the risk of budrot. My old afghi strain i used to have was so amazing.. It was the most potent plant i have ever smoked, with a crazy strong 5 hour pure couchlock stone, the best and strongest smell i have ever smelled of any pot, i mean a half gram bud in a bag smelled the whole household up big time.. This Afghi strain in my area would start budding by late June and finish up by early to mid august.. It wasn't the biggest yielder by far, by beides the yield it was a crazy strain.. Didn't have much crystal at all on it, yet it was super sticky.. It was more like sap dripping off the buds than crystal.. I have been trying to find this strain again or something very similar, i think for medical use people would go crazy over this strain, i would have loved to have it tested and see what kind of numbers some of the more common cannabinoids were at.. Im positive the terpenes in that plant would yield some amazing rare results.. I've recently tried a few kush strains, og, rockstar and purple kush, and although they were very nice strains with a great 2 or so hour high they didn't come close to my old afghi with that 5 hour+ put you in the dirt high.. Im dying to find a strain like this again, so far the closest thing i think i have found is a strain called Couchlock the a company called british columbia seed company once had, or maybe still does... This strain sounds exactly like what im lookin g for...

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I do want to get my water tested, obviously it would tell me so much information, valuable info.. Im just in a rental home right now, im on a few acres out in the sticks but won't be here permanantly, but hopefully in the next year or so i will get into my own house again and have tons of space and privacy, man i miss that! Anyway, i dug my holes right in my lawn, the first couple inches of earth underneath my lawn was some serious black healthy looking shit, but it quickly gets very clay filled, id say probably 70 % clay atleast.. We had tons of rain today and i noticed some water staying in atleast one of my holes. I am planning on using a lot of perlite, i bought a few extra bags today, along with a few more bags of compost. I used the pick and chopped up the bottom's of my holes real good so the roots will have some broken up loose shit to dig down in to..

Im going to get out and do that a bit more then put a couple inches of perlite on the bottoms of the hole, with a few inches of native soil underneath that, i will mix the perlite into my medium pretty heavy as well. I wanted to use some mulch on top mainly just to cover up the perlite from the air, is using a bed of mulch on top of my holes ok?

About the well water too, with my well water being 8.2 i was ph'ing it down to 6.5 or so when i do an indoor grow, but what puzzled me was whenever i start seeds i just use my well water and continue to use it usually until i start actually feeding the plants in a couple weeks, and i have never seemed to have any strange ph roblems with my young seedlings, wouldn't you think a ph of 8.2 would fuck things up fast, im talking indoors here though, wasn't an organic grow... I guess for the outdoors ladies i will jjust use straight well water, i should have enough goodness in the soil to take care of them for awhile, and i can top dress a little with the prganicare later on if i need to..

Off topic i have one other question, when these guys grow these big tree's in northern Cali and grow real nice outdoor organic plants do they just give straight water the whole time? Is it because they use such big pots or holes that they can supply the plants with whats in the soil all season, or would they sometimes give a tea to their outdoor plants? Or maybe top dress with a good organic fert? I don't totally understand the whole outdoor organic thing yet. Guess that's why the Rev always stresses how you need to have a total mind shift when doing organics, got to resist the urge to want to bottle feed the plants with extra's...
Gypsum is what is typically used to help make heavy clay soils more friable. Heavy clay soils are often very high in Mg, so the gypsum provides good amounts of Ca, and it's not bound to CO3 (carbonate) molecules, which makes it much easier for microbes and plants to utilize.

I personally hate perlite--it adds nothing to the mix except volume, floats to the top, is conspicuous, and adds nothing. Rice hulls are much more effective in this scenario and cost a fraction of perlite. They decompose slowly, takes 2-3 years IME, add potassium silicate and make a fantastic home for fungi. They also don't float to the top when a body of soil is watered, unlike perlite.

Perlite-laden rootballs are awfully fun to throw into a brush burn pile, though. Really crackles and pops!

I use our unfiltered well water for my outdoor irrigation. It is very high in carbonates, and I've gotten pH readings as high as 9. As long as the soil food web is working well, and you've avoided adding more carbonate-bearing products (oyster shell flower, dolomite lime, crab or shrimp meal), or even amended with something like peat, assuming your soil pH isn't already too acidic, you'll be just fine.

Every grower does it differently. Almost every commercial guy I know has gone through cycles of Growmore 20-20-20, to organic, to compost teas, to Jack's, back and forth, back and forth they go. I have a very strong opinion about how everything should be grown in all scenarios, so I'm pretty strict about my organic regimen. However, the MAIN reason I stay organic is cost--it's really very cheap once you get all amendments in place, get the soil going--just add water, you don't have to fuck around with bullshit like pH, just water and watch 'em explode.

To reiterate, the quality of the soil and amendments are what can really affect growth, along with how much space the roots are given. Since you're going with in-ground plantings, there are no space restrictions.

I would ditch the perlite altogether, but I would still mulch. However, I wouldn't just mulch, I would (will and DO) cover crop. I prefer the lower-growing plants for cover cropping, fenugreek has become one of my must-haves for that reason plus it goes to seed pretty quickly, so it's always self-sowing. I don't limit my cover crops to fenugreek, however, because I've seen best results in all plants when I use a mix of at least five cover crops. Just be mindful of finishing height, and you'll not only be golden, you'll be better. Plus, you won't have to cover up the fucking perlite!

Honestly, stop reading 'the Rev' and start reading outside organic material. It will help you understand in a HUGE way its importance, and ease, and why plants perform so much better. In fact, start reading Blaze's threads, he'll educate you.

royfree2grow

royfree2grow

all of you guys are just fucking around right??? watering with 8-9 PH water???? i use a commercial ph buffer or citric acid on every watering to balance my ph to 6.5... never tried watering straight from tap which is in the ph range of 7-7.5 and about 450 ppm...

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
No, I'm not fucking around. I'm not about to try to pH hundreds of gallons of water for my cannabis any more than I am my veggies. I grow organically, 100%, using soil food web methods, and the issues I ever see are directly related to what's out of balance in my soil, not pH.

ttystikk

ttystikk

No, I'm not fucking around. I'm not about to try to pH hundreds of gallons of water for my cannabis any more than I am my veggies. I grow organically, 100%, using soil food web methods, and the issues I ever see are directly related to what's out of balance in my soil, not pH.

Soil has loads of buffering ability, where water alone does not. This is why organic crops in general tolerate a wider pH range than hydro.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Not to mention that when you allow plants and microbes/macrobes to live in a harmonious balance, they are literally able to make the adjustments themselves. My only concern is carbonate build-up, because I know my well water is indeed high in carbonates. But, there are ways to counterbalance that effect, and composted pine needles, of which I have MORE than my fair share, would be but one.

sixstring

sixstring

inground soil growing is much dif than container growing and natural soil has alot more living things to balance or buffer ph.rain water ph can swing all over the place and plants still grow fine.like i said my well water works fine @ as much as 8.4ph and 550ppm as long as i dont try to use a bunch of chem nutes with it.just dirt and water works fine for me.

Afghi420

Afghi420

all of you guys are just fucking around right??? watering with 8-9 PH water???? i use a commercial ph buffer or citric acid on every watering to balance my ph to 6.5... never tried watering straight from tap which is in the ph range of 7-7.5 and about 450 ppm...

We are all talking organic growing here... If you aren't familiar with what organic growing really is then some things will sound very strange to what you may be used to.

Afghi420

Afghi420

18JuneIranian
June18RockstarKush
Gypsum is what is typically used to help make heavy clay soils more friable. Heavy clay soils are often very high in Mg, so the gypsum provides good amounts of Ca, and it's not bound to CO3 (carbonate) molecules, which makes it much easier for microbes and plants to utilize.

I personally hate perlite--it adds nothing to the mix except volume, floats to the top, is conspicuous, and adds nothing. Rice hulls are much more effective in this scenario and cost a fraction of perlite. They decompose slowly, takes 2-3 years IME, add potassium silicate and make a fantastic home for fungi. They also don't float to the top when a body of soil is watered, unlike perlite.

Perlite-laden rootballs are awfully fun to throw into a brush burn pile, though. Really crackles and pops!

I use our unfiltered well water for my outdoor irrigation. It is very high in carbonates, and I've gotten pH readings as high as 9. As long as the soil food web is working well, and you've avoided adding more carbonate-bearing products (oyster shell flower, dolomite lime, crab or shrimp meal), or even amended with something like peat, assuming your soil pH isn't already too acidic, you'll be just fine.

Every grower does it differently. Almost every commercial guy I know has gone through cycles of Growmore 20-20-20, to organic, to compost teas, to Jack's, back and forth, back and forth they go. I have a very strong opinion about how everything should be grown in all scenarios, so I'm pretty strict about my organic regimen. However, the MAIN reason I stay organic is cost--it's really very cheap once you get all amendments in place, get the soil going--just add water, you don't have to fuck around with bullshit like pH, just water and watch 'em explode.

To reiterate, the quality of the soil and amendments are what can really affect growth, along with how much space the roots are given. Since you're going with in-ground plantings, there are no space restrictions.

I would ditch the perlite altogether, but I would still mulch. However, I wouldn't just mulch, I would (will and DO) cover crop. I prefer the lower-growing plants for cover cropping, fenugreek has become one of my must-haves for that reason plus it goes to seed pretty quickly, so it's always self-sowing. I don't limit my cover crops to fenugreek, however, because I've seen best results in all plants when I use a mix of at least five cover crops. Just be mindful of finishing height, and you'll not only be golden, you'll be better. Plus, you won't have to cover up the fucking perlite!

Honestly, stop reading 'the Rev' and start reading outside organic material. It will help you understand in a HUGE way its importance, and ease, and why plants perform so much better. In fact, start reading Blaze's threads, he'll educate you.

I have gotten away from paying to much attention to what the Rev talks about nowadays.. Although he did really help me get a basic understanding of organics, and he is doing a good job trying to get the word out there.. But im starting to think he may be going slightly crazy with all the tlo additives he is into.. He has gotten to the point where you pretty much need 25 different amendments, he talks about how terrible fulvic/humic and ascorbic acids are in one sentence then talk about how you need them in the next but doesn't explain ratio's and what they mean.. He uses at least a few different bottled nutes but shits on them in the next article.. And adding the bee pollen and fungus gnat bodies i'm sure may be doing good but seems to be going a bit too far.. I think he is probably just confusing people and scaring them away from organics because they think it's way to complicated. When i switch to organics indoors i would like to find a very basic medium that works well and a small list of ingredients for my tea's and try to keep things somewhat simple..

About the mulch.. Is there a certain kind that i should be using.. I have only really seen cedar mostly and found one spot that had pine mulch..

Here are a couple pics of my ladies.. The bushier plant is the iranian and the other one is rockstar kush/maple ridge kush.. I like the looks of the fat leaves of both these plants, i am very fond of the afghanica plant and both these strains look as if they have some afghanica in there.. I just want to find a strain that has that euphoric body high i miss so much and keep that strain forever. I would love to just have one keeper strain and grow it for years and get to know that plant inside and out. I would always play around with other strains but would be nice to have that one special strain as my keeper. Trying to hunt down the strain couchlock right now, if that doesn't work possibly Afghani Dream..

Top Bottom