Question: How to build a support structure for lights etc.? Help CannaDana out and get a written guarantee you're going to heaven!

• Thread starter CannaDana
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Observationist

Observationist

T

Thank you!!! 🥰
Re: Hanging lights from the ceiling: I am told that because each light weighs 44 lbs., I would have to hire a contractor to cut out portions of the drywall and install supports between ceiling joists, otherwise it will eventually rip out the drywall and collapse. Nope, nope, nope. Ain't doin' that.
you should be able to screw through the drywall and into the joist/studs

MyGrowYo

MyGrowYo

Re: Hanging lights from the ceiling: I am told that because each light weighs 44 lbs., I would have to hire a contractor to cut out portions of the drywall and install supports between ceiling joists, otherwise it will eventually rip out the drywall and collapse. Nope, nope, nope. Ain't doin' that.
I’m not sure who told you that, but yes if you only anchor it to drywall it would 100% rip out. But you need to anchor to a ceiling joist, even a dropped ceiling would be able to handle that load easy. Maybe it wasn’t clear before, the anchor MUST screw into the wood, it can’t just hang on drywall, that would be silly.
48544613 8E3E 4618 912E 9975EED93868

sambapati

sambapati

why not just use a closet? put up some anchors and set up your lights. Couple Ushape screws to hold the scrog net and call it a day :)
4x8x10 walking closet called the flower room :p
View attachment 1199513
So simple, automated and elegant what a great example. I would also suggest a tall strong ladder which can support all the hanging gizmos. That is what I use because if it has to come apart quickly it can more easily.

H

hawkman

You got some very good information ! WoW leds' 44lbs (name of) use basic hanging materials BUT heavy duty - I'/m sure you will get this solved , keep it simple and heavy duty --Peace

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

I think you were not well-served by whoever told you this.

Find your ceiling joists (get one of these, they're great: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Zircon-1-5...vzuRan00RC9ox30LO3xoCat4QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds) and screw some hook bolts directly into them.

MyGrowYo

MyGrowYo

I’m not sure who told you that, but yes if you only anchor it to drywall it would 100% rip out. But you need to anchor to a ceiling joist, even a dropped ceiling would be able to handle that load easy. Maybe it wasn’t clear before, the anchor MUST screw into the wood, it can’t just hang on drywall, that would be silly.View attachment 1200813
To be fair to the person who told you that, if a contractor was to install a light fixture they would put blocking between the joists for the fixture. and if it adds any credibility I actually work full time as a carpenter and even went to school for it. This is the simple DIY version, he gave you the “I need work” version.

Observationist

Observationist

Last edited:
PK1

PK1

Supporter
Keep it simple; Your home hardware or homedepo carries veraity of these bol hook anchors. That picture i posted earlier ((1st page) has two lights hanging from it. Make a hole in ceiling, insert the the anchor for the bolt "make sure its all connected" and then insert the anchor behind the wall through the hole.
Done!
2021 12 28 170144
2021 12 28 170628

Dummy buds

Dummy buds

I'd look at a tent in the size you're looking for. They hold lots of weight, they're easy to set up, reflective, and probably cheaper than lumber

Top Bottom