Question on lock out flush and process

• Thread starter Badchoice
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Badchoice

Badchoice

So I feel I need to do a flush to unlock my roots which is okay I’m about at the 2 week mark we’re fox farms suggest it.
Now with that said I’m a little confused on something and I really don’t f*** things up more than what I have....I’m going to use sledgehammer 3 gallons worth for my 5 gal DWC run for an hour as suggested.
Does that flush mix need to be ph balanced?
Is their anything after the flush that’s important like doing an extra hour of ph balance water (no nutes) drain than go back too nutes? Or non ph water to just grab whatever left over salts and that yucca crap?
any advice would be great I really don’t wanna lose my baby and this should be a good learning process for me to remember in the future when ph has gone down a bit don’t just add more nutes into the Rez Just top off with balanced water And that will adjust ph and ppm.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

So I feel I need to do a flush to unlock my roots which is okay I’m about at the 2 week mark we’re fox farms suggest it.
Now with that said I’m a little confused on something and I really don’t f*** things up more than what I have....I’m going to use sledgehammer 3 gallons worth for my 5 gal DWC run for an hour as suggested.
Does that flush mix need to be ph balanced?
Is their anything after the flush that’s important like doing an extra hour of ph balance water (no nutes) drain than go back too nutes? Or non ph water to just grab whatever left over salts and that yucca crap?
any advice would be great I really don’t wanna lose my baby and this should be a good learning process for me to remember in the future when ph has gone down a bit don’t just add more nutes into the Rez Just top off with balanced water And that will adjust ph and ppm.
No need to flush DWC just do a res change.

N4M

N4M

What PH do you set your nutes to? How high does it go before you bring it down? Are you using cal mag or anything with calcium? What is your humidity and air temperature?

Badchoice

Badchoice

What PH do you set your nutes to? How high does it go before you bring it down? Are you using cal mag or anything with calcium? What is your humidity and air temperature?
Temp sticks around 72 to 76 at the plant base 69 to 73 in the Rez And about 40% humidity some time it goes down to 37 some times it goes too 45 50 but that’s where I live we got weird weather... I try to keep my ph 5.9 to 6.1 and I haven’t seen any crazy moments like “”I test at 2pm it’s 6 then test at 12am and it’s 5.3. And the photo is what I’m using been doing 1/2 dosage so far just don’t like how ff big bloom leaves the color behind but meh it’s bat shit what ya expect lol also I might want to add but idk if this means anything this plant if from a 50+year old seed someone gave me to try that they brought back from Vietnam.

Last edited:
N4M

N4M

Your humidity for that temp range is way too low. Should be 65% - 75% with them temps. I think your plants are drying up. Boost the humidity try to keep it around 70

N4M

N4M

I am also using FoxFarm. I'm using big bloom and grow big 3tsp each as week 3 req, plus 2ml cal mag and 5mg hydroguard (I may have the cal mag and hydro mixed up, not home at the moment). Per gallon of course. I was told by the hydroponic store owner to use 1/4, and people here say use less than what it says but I have no problem I don't think.

N4M

N4M

Here is a chart I go by for setting my humidity. Stay in the middle of the green columns is what I try to do

You've been sitting in the red.

2020 09 18 15 32 45 2966
Badchoice

Badchoice

I am also using FoxFarm. I'm using big bloom and grow big 3tsp each as week 3 req, plus 2ml cal mag and 5mg hydroguard (I may have the cal mag and hydro mixed up, not home at the moment). Per gallon of course. I was told by the hydroponic store owner to use 1/4, and people here say use less than what it says but I have no problem I don't think.
Alright do you do the two week sledgehammer flush it’s got on the chart?

N4M

N4M

No I was debating on buying boomerang or sledgehammer but I have yet flushed my plants. I would take @Aqua Man advice. He said you don't have to flush. I trust his word, he is way more experienced.

N4M

N4M

Also, don't just up your feed dosage just because I am using full strength. I'm a noob lol. But it's working good for me. I do think maybe your plants look like that because the humidity is toooo low, very dry environment for them.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I agree with @N4M humidity is to low for how hard your driving them.

Looks like light may be to strong. Can you download light meter by my mobile tools dev. And let us know the Lux value your getting?

Here is a thread I did on VPD that may help explain the effects of temp and humidity on your plants. VPD and its effects are a lot more pronounced with fast growth like hydro.

Badchoice

Badchoice

Also do you have a fan pointed directly at it?
I have it pointed at an angle away to keep a small breeze on them but able to circulate and push the air up to the exhaust hopefully keep heat pockets out since it’s such a small space.

Badchoice

Badchoice

Also, don't just up your feed dosage just because I am using full strength. I'm a noob lol. But it's working good for me. I do think maybe your plants look like that because the humidity is toooo low, very dry environment for them.
Well well aight the flush seems to be pointless on less your on full blown nute lock. And I hadn’t plan on upping the dosage I was gonna run 1/2 dosage for the whole grow

Badchoice

Badchoice

I agree with @N4M humidity is to low for how hard your driving them.

Looks like light may be to strong. Can you download light meter by my mobile tools dev. And let us know the Lux value your getting?

Here is a thread I did on VPD that may help explain the effects of temp and humidity on your plants. VPD and its effects are a lot more pronounced with fast growth like hydro.

That was a good read and informative, seems I need humidity maker. Amazon gonna love me lol but I do wanna day thank you for the all the help

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I have it pointed at an angle away to keep a small breeze on them but able to circulate and push the air up to the exhaust hopefully keep heat pockets out since it’s such a small space.
Just make sure no direct airflow.

Did you happen to check the lux? Think you may have a bit to much light on them

N4M

N4M

That was a good read and informative, seems I need humidity maker. Amazon gonna love me lol but I do wanna day thank you for the all the help
Wish this site was more mobile friendly I always got to rewrite my messages..

I recommend looking on Facebook marketplace and local Facebook groups for a humidifier. Also Craigslist. I got my $50+ humidifier for 15 bucks and it works great.

I would suggest a humidity controller as well. I have this one
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01J1E5LWM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_hyZFFbH8NNC6B

Top Bottom