Questions about first outdoor grow.

• Thread starter Perrin6363
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Perrin6363

Perrin6363

In the fall when it has buds do I need to protect them from the rain. We get a decent amount of rain here in the fall. I'm thinking about how I am with my indoor plants and getting pissed bc I let a piece of string fall and touch one of the developing buds. But then I'm going to leave my outdoor buds to get smashed by fat raindrops?

The pics are them, about 45 days apart.

Questions about first outdoor grow
Questions about first outdoor grow 2
Perrin6363

Perrin6363

Don't worry about fat raindrops. If it rains a lot in the fall, you could get bud rot.
It's not overly rainy. It's the south east. Anything I should do or watch out for during flowering outside? Other than bud rot. I'm ultra paranoid about that with my indoor plants. If I stretched a tarp out over them, connected to some poles, for colder type rainy days in the fall would that be a bad idea? I'd make it 2 or 3 feet above the plants so they still get plenty of air and some of the rain.

Mifarmer

Mifarmer

In the fall when it has buds do I need to protect them from the rain. We get a decent amount of rain here in the fall. I'm thinking about how I am with my indoor plants and getting pissed bc I let a piece of string fall and touch one of the developing buds. But then I'm going to leave my outdoor buds to get smashed by fat raindrops?

The pics are them, about 45 days apart.
Michigan outdoor grower here and I was concerned about rain the first time. Im on my 4th grow and all of my plants at some point have been exposed to torrential rain, 60 mph winds, 35 degree temps and hail.
The two biggest problems have been branches breaking due to the added weight after a soaking and mold due to the moisture. Be prepared with velcro and stakes of some sort. Use an electric blower from a distance to dry things out.

Rain will not harm your buds or the trichomes all that much. It does not wash them away like you may think. More so, the force of a heavy rain may break the trichomes off and then wash them away, but they will grow back as long as it doesnt happen right before harvest.

Growing outdoors is a challenge so be patient and realistic. These plants have been growing in the wild for thousands of years so dealing with the elements and bugs is in their genetic. (lol, my last post was just about something eating my leaves 3 weeks into the grow which is stressing me out. The plant still has 30 other intact leaves on it, but still I think that one leaf is going to affect the outcome 3 and half months from now) Good luck.

Reactions: HWH
Perrin6363

Perrin6363

Michigan outdoor grower here and I was concerned about rain the first time. Im on my 4th grow and all of my plants at some point have been exposed to torrential rain, 60 mph winds, 35 degree temps and hail.
The two biggest problems have been branches breaking due to the added weight after a soaking and mold due to the moisture. Be prepared with velcro and stakes of some sort. Use an electric blower from a distance to dry things out.

Rain will not harm your buds or the trichomes all that much. It does not wash them away like you may think. More so, the force of a heavy rain may break the trichomes off and then wash them away, but they will grow back as long as it doesnt happen right before harvest.

Growing outdoors is a challenge so be patient and realistic. These plants have been growing in the wild for thousands of years so dealing with the elements and bugs is in their genetic. (lol, my last post was just about something eating my leaves 3 weeks into the grow which is stressing me out. The plant still has 30 other intact leaves on it, but still I think that one leaf is going to affect the outcome 3 and half months from now) Good luck.
Lol, great info man, thanks

strider26554

strider26554

It's not overly rainy. It's the south east. Anything I should do or watch out for during flowering outside? Other than bud rot. I'm ultra paranoid about that with my indoor plants. If I stretched a tarp out over them, connected to some poles, for colder type rainy days in the fall would that be a bad idea? I'd make it 2 or 3 feet above the plants so they still get plenty of air and some of the rain.
I live in the mid Atlantic /Appalachian region and the biggest concerns for me during those final days when all of my efforts are coming to fruition is:
1: bud rot, I grow an old school skunk strain and the buds get huge , but maybe too big, as I've noticed that the largest buds are also the most likely to become infected.
2: budworms, (yes there are such things). There are these small harmless looking light brown/tan moths that lay a single egg on the underside of the fan leaves, these eggs go on to hatch out a small worm that once out of its little egg shell/cocoon will proceed to eat its way into the center of your biggest buds and then continue to live through the next cycle of its life, happily gnawing its way through the bud. I have found them still alive and eating during the final trim of some of my buds, in other words, they seem to have no problem living through the plant dying and curing stage, ( I cure in mason jars) and last but not least
3: All herbivorous wildlife, We have an abundance of wildlife where I live and anything that eats leaves or plant matter will not hesitate to dine on your final product as though it were a buffet at an all you can eat special. Outdoor growing has its challenges but I find that with the strain that I grow none of the the lighting technology that exist today can replicate the sun for producing the best product, I know other growers locally who grow the same strain indoors and it just does not even compare to mine in areas like bud size, product quantity per plant and the smell and taste , and that comparison is coming from them.

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

I used to grow in the Greenville, NC area. The biggest problem for me was bud worms of several species.

Get some Bt and spray them weekly. Get a brand that's certified organic and you can use it into flower. Sometimes 1/3rd of my buds were ruined.

The only bud rot I got outdoors, while I live there, was in buds that were attacked by the worms.

Perrin6363

Perrin6363

I used to grow in the Greenville, NC area. The biggest problem for me was bud worms of several species.

Get some Bt and spray them weekly. Get a brand that's certified organic and you can use it into flower. Sometimes 1/3rd of my buds were ruined.

The only bud rot I got outdoors, while I live there, was in buds that were attacked by the worms.
What is Bt?

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

What is Bt?

There is also a subspecies called Bti, which is for mosquitos and fungus gnats. Get Btk. This particular one is organic and can be sprayed while it's flowering.

Perrin6363

Perrin6363

Anyone know what this white stuff on this dead leaf is from? It was the only leaf on the plant I saw like this.

20220609 161100
20220609 161110
Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Anyone know what this white stuff on this dead leaf is from? It was the only leaf on the plant I saw like this.
Aww shit. friggin bugs man.

I don't know if that is spider or caterpillar or what, but since you are growing both in and out, make sure your hygiene is up to snuff before you start working on indoor plants. Try not to bring that stuff in with you.

Perrin6363

Perrin6363

Aww shit. friggin bugs man.

I don't know if that is spider or caterpillar or what, but since you are growing both in and out, make sure your hygiene is up to snuff before you start working on indoor plants. Try not to bring that stuff in with you.
Ok thanks. I've got some neem oil I can spray them with. Maybe that'll help.

Backyard_Boogie

Backyard_Boogie

When you live in SoCal the caterpillars will ravage your shit outdoors. This is the biggest challenge here outdoors IMO. I don't know how bad it is there where you live but here as soon as your nugs are getting big and fat in the fall the little guys show up everywhere and start doing Swiss cheese holes through all your nicest colas. I have learned over the years that when it comes to the caterpillars it's all about preventative maintenance. I like to spray my plants with both BT as well as Pyrethrin multiple times all the way through veg and early into flower. As soon as the flowers start to stack I stop as not to effect the flavor of the new growing buds. But by being on top of it hard up front in your grow it kills off a lot of the eggs and baby caterpillars so that by the time your are close to finish its much more manageable and you can hand pick off any remaining stragglers.

Deadstill

Deadstill

I'm from the government, and I'm here to help.
Supporter
Ok thanks. I've got some neem oil I can spray them with. Maybe that'll help.

If you do neem oil just in case you didn't know already I have a couple important tips on that -

make sure you spray it at sunset if outdoors, give it all night to dry, you do NOT want to spray neem during daylight hours
spray under the leaves as well as on top
run your hands and fingers gently along the branches as you spray to knock off any bugs or what-not

other than that I use neem a lot during veg but never during flower - and I also only use "Garden Safe Neem Oil Extract" - it's not exactly the same as regular neem and imo, works better without the usual active ingredient azadirachtin that other neem products have, which arguably can end up in your bud even if you don't spray during flower.

grnmtn

grnmtn

Looks like they are planted very close to each other? May wanna start bending and directing them away from each other?

Perrin6363

Perrin6363

I scanned the hell
When you live in SoCal the caterpillars will ravage your shit outdoors. This is the biggest challenge here outdoors IMO. I don't know how bad it is there where you live but here as soon as your nugs are getting big and fat in the fall the little guys show up everywhere and start doing Swiss cheese holes through all your nicest colas. I have learned over the years that when it comes to the caterpillars it's all about preventative maintenance. I like to spray my plants with both BT as well as Pyrethrin multiple times all the way through veg and early into flower. As soon as the flowers start to stack I stop as not to effect the flavor of the new growing buds. But by being on top of it hard up front in your grow it kills off a lot of the eggs and baby caterpillars so that by the time your are close to finish its much more manageable and you can hand pick off any remaining stragglers.
Thanks for the info and advice. Will prob get some of that bt.

Perrin6363

Perrin6363

Looks like they are planted very close to each other? May wanna start bending and directing them away from each other?
I fucking knew I planted them to close! Right before I put them in the ground I looked and thought that, but figured it was enough so I left it.

Madbud

Madbud

I alternate neem and spinosad through veg, then btk in early flower for caterpillars. That white stuff could be from leafhoppers or mealy bugs. Bugs suck, they are vectors for plant diseases. Tarp or pop-up canopy works for rain and dew to prevent mold and bud rot.

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
And kill as much ambient light as possible. Porch and patio lights just attract them to your vicinity.

Perrin6363

Perrin6363

Are these little guys, in the first pic, friends or foes? And I thought this white stuff was bird shit at first, but I'm not so sure after seeing the mealy bug cocoon thing yesterday. I sprayed them good with neem and I'm not seeing any other mealy bugs on any of them. What do you think that white stuff is?

20220610 164741
20220610 164748
20220610 164754
Top Bottom