Questions about first outdoor grow.

• Thread starter Perrin6363
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Perrin6363

Perrin6363

And kill as much ambient light as possible. Porch and patio lights just attract them to your vicinity.
I gotcha, it's dark as hell back there. I actually had to can the city bc there's a street light in my backyard. They didn't even know it was there. They shut it off and left it.

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
Make sure that is not powdery mildew! Left unchecked it can blow you out of the water in a matter of a couple days!

Blazy_amber

Blazy_amber

I might be late to this post but I think they will be fine with the fat raindrops, my plants fell face down into a pile of soil and were sitting like that until I got home from work... obviously I freaked out but they were absolutely fine... this is them now

20220617 071651
SmokinJo421

SmokinJo421

It's not overly rainy. It's the south east. Anything I should do or watch out for during flowering outside? Other than bud rot. I'm ultra paranoid about that with my indoor plants. If I stretched a tarp out over them, connected to some poles, for colder type rainy days in the fall would that be a bad idea? I'd make it 2 or 3 feet above the plants so they still get plenty of air and some of the rain.
Yesss cover them!!
You want to control the pH of the water to those plants minimally

grnmtn

grnmtn

I'm in the no cover camp myself. Rain is natural outside and if plants are in ground the soil is a buffer so no pH issues. Airflow is key! Both around the plant and thru the plant with proper pruning. Strain is also a key factor in this.

SmokinJo421

SmokinJo421

I'm in the no cover camp myself. Rain is natural outside and if plants are in ground the soil is a buffer so no pH issues. Airflow is key! Both around the plant and thru the plant with proper pruning. Strain is also a key factor in this.
Sure if your not going to feed any boosters or additives and actually want the plant to use the nutrient?
So do you let it rain on your bud too?

SmokinJo421

SmokinJo421

I might be late to this post but I think they will be fine with the fat raindrops, my plants fell face down into a pile of soil and were sitting like that until I got home from work... obviously I freaked out but they were absolutely fine... this is them now
You'll want to bury that stalk & get some air/wind blowing on them asap.
The stalk will root more once its covered

SmokinJo421

SmokinJo421

Are these little guys, in the first pic, friends or foes? And I thought this white stuff was bird shit at first, but I'm not so sure after seeing the mealy bug cocoon thing yesterday. I sprayed them good with neem and I'm not seeing any other mealy bugs on any of them. What do you think that white stuff is?
I can't stress it enough
Grow bible by Jorge Cervantes
Has detailed pictures of pests/bugs as well as a nutrient deficiency guide w detailed color pics.
Dawn dish soap, & neem oil are ur friends too!

grnmtn

grnmtn

Sure if your not going to feed any boosters or additives and actually want the plant to use the nutrient?
So do you let it rain on your bud too?
I add nutes in ground and sure it rains on the buds. Isn't that natural?...Now, after heavy rain I shake off as much as possible. Buds outside don't seem as fragile as my inside buds that never get wet.

SmokinJo421

SmokinJo421

I add nutes in ground and sure it rains on the buds. Isn't that natural?...Now, after heavy rain I shake off as much as possible. Buds outside don't seem as fragile as my inside buds that never get wet.
Yesss that is natural!!
But so is mold
Controlling your environment inside or out is very much a thing!! I'm sure it does help build some strength too, but what about rainy season? Huge concern for me in south east Mi

grnmtn

grnmtn

Yesss that is natural!!
But so is mold
Controlling your environment inside or out is very much a thing!! I'm sure it does help build some strength too, but what about rainy season? Huge concern for me in south east Mi
I live in VT. Very rainy, damp, foggy and cold especially from mid Sept on. I use stylet oil until buds form then just shake off water. Again, mold resistant strains that finish by Oct works best up here but there are no guarantees. Caterpillars are a more serious threat for rot than rain here. Covering plants when it's cold and damp cuts airflow and mold comes quick up here. That's why I always have my indoor plants growing so a good harvest is pretty much guaranteed.

SmokinJo421

SmokinJo421

I live in VT. Very rainy, damp, foggy and cold especially from mid Sept on. I use stylet oil until buds form then just shake off water. Again, mold resistant strains that finish by Oct works best up here but there are no guarantees. Caterpillars are a more serious threat for rot than rain here. Covering plants when it's cold and damp cuts airflow and mold comes quick up here. That's why I always have my indoor plants growing so a good harvest is pretty much guaranteed.
Just to be completely clear I'm not advocating covering plants!! Only during rain, and ALWAYS allowing wind/air circulation.

7munkee

7munkee

I can't grow anything outside but a straight up Indica in PA without fear of budrot/mold by finish. I couldn't imagine Vermont. Greenhouse or indoors is best.

SmokinJo421

SmokinJo421

I can't grow anything outside but a straight up Indica in PA without fear of budrot/mold by finish. I couldn't imagine Vermont. Greenhouse or indoors is best.
With you in Pa., do you grow outside?
I'm in MI & our weather is almost identical.

7munkee

7munkee

With you in Pa., do you grow outside?
I'm in MI & our weather is almost identical.
Not anymore. Lived on a farm for 40 years and grew outside from 1985 or so until 5 years ago. Been struggling with indoor growing ever since. I don't get budrot anymore and I've learned enough to at least get enough smokable bud for my head.

Rumpelstilskin

Rumpelstilskin

Michigan outdoor grower here and I was concerned about rain the first time. Im on my 4th grow and all of my plants at some point have been exposed to torrential rain, 60 mph winds, 35 degree temps and hail.
The two biggest problems have been branches breaking due to the added weight after a soaking and mold due to the moisture. Be prepared with velcro and stakes of some sort. Use an electric blower from a distance to dry things out.

Rain will not harm your buds or the trichomes all that much. It does not wash them away like you may think. More so, the force of a heavy rain may break the trichomes off and then wash them away, but they will grow back as long as it doesnt happen right before harvest.

Growing outdoors is a challenge so be patient and realistic. These plants have been growing in the wild for thousands of years so dealing with the elements and bugs is in their genetic. (lol, my last post was just about something eating my leaves 3 weeks into the grow which is stressing me out. The plant still has 30 other intact leaves on it, but still I think that one leaf is going to affect the outcome 3 and half months from now) Good luck.
Get yourself a Greenhouse for the stormy days. you find a nice pop-up greenhouse if you have a small crop.
let them grow until you veg then put the greenhouse up. Works great keeps them dry as long as you have a descent airflow you should be safe from any moisture and mold. Happy Growing

Rumpelstilskin

Rumpelstilskin

Get yourself a Greenhouse for the stormy days. you find a nice pop-up greenhouse if you have a small crop.
let them grow until you veg then put the greenhouse up. Works great keeps them dry as long as you have a descent airflow you should be safe from any moisture and mold. Happy Growing
A descent one should come to $100 to $150 search here for one.

SmokinJo421

SmokinJo421

It can come in white, & you will need to build a frame for it. 1/2 pvc will work fine. Heating & bending the pvc 4 the top arch is a bit tricky!
Few dif ways to do it too.
Hope that info helps, & ill post pics of what I did to cover the lady's up when it's raining.
Not letting anything interfere w my water schedule!!

weed420420420420420

weed420420420420420

they need to make a solar fan that charges in the day and runs in the night. Or just recharge it every few days. Or I just need to run really long extension cords with fans.

Top Bottom