Questions About Using Bennies

• Thread starter ReCway
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
squiggly

squiggly

water report states .66-1 ppm of Flouride..

Squiggly think that is still toxic for bennies?

1ppm is the standard, so your water treatment plant is doing stuff right at least?

There is no way to say. Different bacteria react differently.

If you were to take an already brewed tea (with active and large bacterial colonies) and pour it into a nutrient-laden medium containing 1ppm fluoride. You would probably not hurt the overall colony much.

The problem I see here is that you're starting from relatively low numbers of bacteria. The strength of bacteria comes in numbers--and so this might cause a problem.

Here is my suggestion for you before going out to buy an RO.

I don't currently have the time to explain my reasoning--but it comes from my biochemistry expertise so let's just see if I'm right:

Try to add some heat to your brew. Maybe one of those root warmer pads would do the trick?

The short version of why is that this might increase enzymic activity which could help to attenuate the damage which fluoride does (part of which is enzymic inhibition, especially of phosphatases--the other part of which is nucleophilic hydrogen substitution which can make it impossible for the organism to remove waste and toxins).

You do need to watch the temp. You can only go so high before you start to kill stuff. Bacteria are much less resilient than people think. If I put 1 million bacteria in a test tube of water and shake it vigorously for a minute, I will probably kill half of them.

Im sorry to give this to you in Celsius, but its what I'm used to from lab work. Anywhere from 26-37C is about where you want to be (37 is on the extreme upper end). I recommend 30c which is about ~85 F.

Once your brew is bubbling you can bring the temps down. I believe the problem you are having here is getting the colonies established. Once they are growing they will tend to adjust the medium to their liking--probably one of the coolest things about bacteria.

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
what are the water temps when you are brewing?

I am using a Cl/chloramine filter and a doulsan bacteria pre filter and I am getting a little foam.

If you need .5 GPM you can use a ball valve and just time the flow before you put the filter on with a bucket and stop watch to get it just right.

Air pump? How many L/min is it rated?

GR33NL3AF

GR33NL3AF

Foam isn't also the key to a good tea, or so I've been told...I thought the key was getting the 'crud' or crown around the top of the brew.

I brew teas in two different environments, well water which always brews nice and city water that is filtered with a tall boy, upgraded to a charcoal filter. The company swears the upgraded filter removes chlorine and chloramines but my tea from this setup never foams much compared to the well water setup.

In any case my plants love it, so to avoid a headache I haven't researched it further.

R

ReCway

what are the water temps when you are brewing?

I am using a Cl/chloramine filter and a doulsan bacteria pre filter and I am getting a little foam.

If you need .5 GPM you can use a ball valve and just time the flow before you put the filter on with a bucket and stop watch to get it just right.

Air pump? How many L/min is it rated?

Water is about at 80f and i am using a General Hydro 6 outlet pump. I use for 20 gal 3 cups wc 3 cups kelp meal 200 mill mollases and some General Organics Seawead. and your bennies..

I was thinking this morning that i had a post by soulie about a homemade water filter.

You guys think this will get the Chloramines and Flourides out of the water. ?

homemade filters are the very best imho ... it only take 6 feet of sand dirt and carbon to filter the worst water into drinking quality ... in my current case i can't even consider using an ro unit it would dry my well up and not to mention ro strips vital minerals from the water that then need to be replaced for healthy growth... being stuck on using ro is a bandaid for poor growing skills .. a formula can be figured out no matter how poor well water is ..
my current well water comes out at 400ppm at 9.1 ph .. alkalinity is 330ppm it is so buffered that it took 1 qt of ph down to bring the ph within a reasonable range in 50 gl .. this water simply could not be used for growing any crop ... so i built a filter using a 50gl drum filled with peat moss and sand ... i coiled a soaker hose at the top of the media and then used standard flood and drain fittings in the bottom of the drum as my filtered out .. water comes out at 50ppm and now at 6.5ph with a the buffering removed from the high alkalinity upon adding nutrients the water finds it's home at 5.8 ph .. plants love it and i waste 0 water ..

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
Water is about at 80f and i am using a General Hydro 6 outlet pump. I use for 20 gal 3 cups wc 3 cups kelp meal 200 mill mollases and some General Organics Seawead. and your bennies..

I was thinking this morning that i had a post by soulie about a homemade water filter.

You guys think this will get the Chloramines and Flourides out of the water. ?

homemade filters are the very best imho ... it only take 6 feet of sand dirt and carbon to filter the worst water into drinking quality ... in my current case i can't even consider using an ro unit it would dry my well up and not to mention ro strips vital minerals from the water that then need to be replaced for healthy growth... being stuck on using ro is a bandaid for poor growing skills .. a formula can be figured out no matter how poor well water is ..
my current well water comes out at 400ppm at 9.1 ph .. alkalinity is 330ppm it is so buffered that it took 1 qt of ph down to bring the ph within a reasonable range in 50 gl .. this water simply could not be used for growing any crop ... so i built a filter using a 50gl drum filled with peat moss and sand ... i coiled a soaker hose at the top of the media and then used standard flood and drain fittings in the bottom of the drum as my filtered out .. water comes out at 50ppm and now at 6.5ph with a the buffering removed from the high alkalinity upon adding nutrients the water finds it's home at 5.8 ph .. plants love it and i waste 0 water ..

The kelp meal may be why you arent gettign a little foam. Try a tea with no kelp or seaweed.

R

ReCway

Ok Update. Got my new chloramine Filters. Hooked em up and set em at 1 gpm. FIlled 5 gallon bucket and set tea to brew with Caps Bennies , WC , Molasses.

Shit is foaming like no ones business......!!!:D

IF anyone is having trouble gettin foam check your water report. I bought a Chlorine filter but my local water treatment plant uses chloramine. Citys water reports are posted on their websites.

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
Ok Update. Got my new chloramine Filters. Hooked em up and set em at 1 gpm. FIlled 5 gallon bucket and set tea to brew with Caps Bennies , WC , Molasses.

Shit is foaming like no ones business......!!!:D

IF anyone is having trouble gettin foam check your water report. I bought a Chlorine filter but my local water treatment plant uses chloramine. Citys water reports are posted on their websites.

awesome!

spacebomb

spacebomb

That sounds like water from hell that bro eh.. damn man, if that was my water and I saw that? Idk. I would not going near it. Lol. Never mind you having to drink and bathe in it :( God, doesn't it worry you now that you have seen that chart?. Lol

spacebomb

spacebomb

Nice link to be water filter systems. Nice1 ,whoever put that up:-) that's were in gonna snag mine now, exellent man. thank you man. :-)

spacebomb

spacebomb

So can you tell me a half decent r.o ,water filter etc pls bro? I don't know any, never owned 1:(lol. What's best for me? I only need about 15,20 litres Every ? 3 ,days. It doesn't have to be too of the range. Sommet easy to use and not to dear:-)don't want much do I :-)lol

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
So can you tell me a half decent r.o ,water filter etc pls bro? I don't know any, never owned 1:(lol. What's best for me? I only need about 15,20 litres Every ? 3 ,days. It doesn't have to be too of the range. Sommet easy to use and not to dear:)don't want much do I :)lol

You can just leave your tap water out overnight and it will be fine. If you really want a filter check out filtersfast.com

spacebomb

spacebomb

What about the chloramide? I can shift the chlorine not the chloride spelled wrong ,or will your packs survive the nasty 1,caps? .

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
What about the chloramide? I can shift the chlorine not the chloride spelled wrong ,or will your packs survive the nasty 1,caps? .

You can get a filter that will filter out the chloramine as well. Check filtersfast.com mate.

Latest posts

Top Bottom