Questions on newts and general tips

• Thread starter JKeefster13
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
JKeefster13

JKeefster13

So I’m a newb this is my third grow . 1st grow 3 out of 10 came through due to my
Lack of knoledge and trimming way too Early and often
I have been using grow big fro fox farm, rhino skin, calmag, and a newt booster “ ruby Ful#$%. My second grow I had 3 out of 10 pull through but little yield .. only reason being, i didn’t know u weren’t supposed to trim throughout then grow of ugly or dead bottom leaves and I I was over topping
Questions on newts and general tips 2

Picture above is the tent I plan on moving 3-4 of my current olants
Questions on newts and general tips 3

4x2 tent I believe the measurements a
Questions on newts and general tips 4

Questions on newts and general tips 5
Questions on newts and general tips 5

Better photo of the 4x2 tent l. Also if anyone knows how to use that lighting system please reach out to me I’ve been killing to use it for the past year but just don’t understand how the lighting works other than that’s the GO TO model and lighting for growers. The bees knees what have you.
Questions on newts and general tips 6

the two Mars lights I typically have rhnning
Questions on newts and general tips 7

a photo fr
Questions on newts and general tips 8

last grow #2
Questions on newts and general tips 8

Last grow #3
Questions on newts and general tips 9

those 3 are the only ones that made it /:

Might have been 4 that made it 90% dude it was only 3 and one went hermaph but could be ering

Questions on newts and general tips 10
Questions on newts and general tips 10
Questions on newts and general tips 11
Questions on newts and general tips 12
Questions on newts and general tips 13

what measurement should I be using for rhino skin with 10 plants , a 5 Gallon water flowering bucket? And
Questions on newts and general tips 13
Questions on newts and general tips 15
Questions on newts and general tips 16
Questions on newts and general tips 18
Questions on newts and general tips 19
Questions on newts and general tips 20
I keep my plants from going hermaphadale ? Also general insight would be good. Oh will be attaching pi’s of all talked about above I have to put plants in my other tent because of lack of receiving light…and they’re growing A LOT FASTER and I need my tents in tact when I get them back. Also green algae shit that gets stuck on top layer of soil on and thousands of flies come out of them… any suggestions?
Questions on newts and general tips

Questions on newts and general tips 14
Questions on newts and general tips 17
Santa.ClausHOHOHO

Santa.ClausHOHOHO

Looking like this person could use some advise and a few pointers. I am replying just to give it a bump. Will be an interesting thread to follow.
@Auqaman @Ponkey and others.

JKeefster13

JKeefster13

I appreciate the effort big dog
Wish I had a few more bites but hey is what it i. Really would line some advice tho figure out what I’m doing wrong.

Ponky

Ponky

Ok so I'm not a fan of soil and bottled foods. I prefer soil that's amended. And top dressed as needed. I also don't like soil. I prefer a ProMix or DWC. No Fox farms or anything. And when starting out a 1 part food is fine. Rhino skin and cal mag going into soil is just hard to measure in my opinion.

Now for this algae like substance. First let's
*defoliate. This will reduce moisture and increase the flow of air where it's needed most. Start small.
Remove by hand the top layer of green and fouled media. Top dress with the same media or worm castings.
Stick a finger all the way in the soil to gauge moisture and density. If its wet and heavy don't water.
(There is a sticky thread on this forum that describes good watering practices.)
Fungus Gnats.
You have options. You can use diatomaceous earth. Thoroughly powder the top of the soil and any where pests are use a dusting bulb.
You can get some pest spray. Like safers 3 in 1. Or you can get safers defender powder and sprinkle that on the top of the soil.
Diatomaceous Earth creates a barrier that the gnats can't survive. It dessicates their bodies.

To increase success for your next grow I highly urge you to try a simple method. Using ProMix HD. And Floranova or Maxi series. Or another popular 1 part. And no supplements.

And hermaphrodite plants are typically genetic. It's a huge part of getting your genetics. It's about sourcing quality genetics and having the proper lighting conditions.

If your heart is set on soil you should use amendments to the soil and teas and top dressing and quality de chlorinated water.
For promix and DWC I literally use straight tap water and use it immediately. No issue.

TheMidgetTickler

TheMidgetTickler

Garden looks fairly healthy especially for a first grow

Buds look like they need longer to finish but could be down to the light you're using & it's intensity

Can't advise on your nute regime but would say possibly too much too soon until you've seen how they respond with simple grow and Bloom nutes. By adding more you're effectively giving yourself another ball or 2 to juggle. More things to go wrong, lock out & without prior experience it turns to a guessing game

What do you need to know about the reflectors?
Hook them.up to ducting and a decent sized fan. Can run them solo with a fan or link them into your filter system

Bulbs run in your setup will depend on fan size needed for them to keep cool, 400w hps needing less than 600w hps to cool etc

reeldrag

reeldrag

Being newer, heres what i recommend. Go soiless like pro advantage or sunshine number 4 or pro mix as your grow medium. Then get a bottle of flora nova grow, flora nova bloom and nothing else. just run per instructions. your lighting is fine but bulbs are in question those look old to me but depends on how many cycles they have been run get a good metal halide for veg and a good hps for flower. get a simple RH meter and a fan. test your water for ph keep it between 5.5 and 6.3. thats it keep it simple you appear to have 99% of all equipment already. just keep it simple one part nutes good light good RH and good air flow. Good genetics are important find good clones to get you started off on the right foot. good luck

JKeefster13

JKeefster13

Ok so I'm not a fan of soil and bottled foods. I prefer soil that's amended. And top dressed as needed. I also don't like soil. I prefer a ProMix or DWC. No Fox farms or anything. And when starting out a 1 part food is fine. Rhino skin and cal mag going into soil is just hard to measure in my opinion.

Now for this algae like substance. First let's
*defoliate. This will reduce moisture and increase the flow of air where it's needed most. Start small.
Remove by hand the top layer of green and fouled media. Top dress with the same media or worm castings.
Stick a finger all the way in the soil to gauge moisture and density. If its wet and heavy don't water.
(There is a sticky thread on this forum that describes good watering practices.)
Fungus Gnats.
You have options. You can use diatomaceous earth. Thoroughly powder the top of the soil and any where pests are use a dusting bulb.
You can get some pest spray. Like safers 3 in 1. Or you can get safers defender powder and sprinkle that on the top of the soil.
Diatomaceous Earth creates a barrier that the gnats can't survive. It dessicates their bodies.

To increase success for your next grow I highly urge you to try a simple method. Using ProMix HD. And Floranova or Maxi series. Or another popular 1 part. And no supplements.

And hermaphrodite plants are typically genetic. It's a huge part of getting your genetics. It's about sourcing quality genetics and having the proper lighting conditions.

If your heart is set on soil you should use amendments to the soil and teas and top dressing and quality de chlorinated water.
For promix and DWC I literally use straight tap water and use it immediately. No issue.
Thanks got your response, so may be a dumb question but what is amended soil and what does it mean to top dress? Clearly this will have to be done on next grow. But i love some good constructive feedback and ultimately knoledge. As others have said, yes I have been playing the guessing game seeing how the plants react to tap water as a pose to bottled or purified water.
Luckily for me where I’m at there is almost enough calcium and magnesium to sustain the plants on its own. As for the fungus like algae what I’ve been doing is taking the layers of soil out that are contaminated and then letting the soil dry out completely as I read somewhere in a article that that is the quickest way to dissolve of them. Im not a fan of using pesticides around something im going to be smoking . Ultimately im trying to get to an all organic grow, but haven’t found a good source/ someone to actually explain to me what that would look like as far as ingredients. I know the earthwarm castings, The fir bark , the perlite, and coir are almost musts for a strong healthy grow. Well atleast popular amongst growers. But what is a good way to make your own soil or base. Idk the proper terminology for it. I will link in a picture of the ingredients of the soil I use. As for nutes, I never knew there was another source of getting them then a bottled source. Would love to be spoon fed that knowledge as well. But as I said sometimes you got to spoon feed it to me when writing. I’m more of a hands on learner. But great at reading instructions lol. Also is promix hd something that’s local to everywhere ? I’m in so cal. Is it the same thing as miracle grow ? And I’m not necessarily SEEEEETTT on a soil base. I found this really cool guy on YouTube thag created a self sustaining ecosystem where his plants were perpetually rotating through its own ecosystem using every leaf and stem we would typically throw away. Growing other plants in the same pots to give it the nutes it needed with a auto watering system all organic. Still at a loss for words with it in amazement. But end of the day I’m trying to lean all organic and would love tips. I know sometimes it takes months to churn and develop your own medium/base. Oh FYI everyone I know the pictures are out of order and confusing but those are from 3 different grows. I’ll attach just photos of the grow in on this second !

So these are my current plants at the moment excuse the jumbled mess I’m in the middle of setting up a second tent to put 3 or 4 depending on space in cause clearly the need a bit more wiggle room

Excuse my hand was trying to get a pic without the light murdering it to show I’m using breathable mesh pots ( 5gallo

however 3 did get started late due to they’re length of time for germination.
Don’t know if you can really tell from this photo but especially bottom left is getting hard almost crumpled looking leaves. I’m assuming it will correct itself when moved to my 4x2 tent along with its two sisters, but here’s a good question. Should I be having them on the same grow if during germination only 7/10 are fully germinated and they’re still in the seed casing .

1E9530F5 1A0B 461F A391 929142908120

Do these plants lol pretty healthy to everyone other than the little guy wining in the corner ?

now as far as ph goes… I’ve always been afraid of number all the way back to grade school never excelled with math or school I. General . Any recommendation on ph meters and what is the general rule of thumb on your levels ?
I see one person above mentioned 5.3-6. Something . Is that a pretty typical reading ? And what is each number for? Or is one number all you typically read on those meters? I’ve seen them on Amazon but the tech and descriptions kinda scared me off with trying to understand it hence why I’ve been going by if it’s green and growing then I’m good if there’s bacteria or spots let it dry out and lower the nutes to refrain from chemical burn. But knowing now there is forums and places tk chat and ask all the dumb questions in my head without actually having to look that stupid asking them in person… GAME CHANGER. Im ready to learn and ask all the dumb questions .

now if someone can please explain to me how to use this mega bees knees “best of the best of the best sir ! “ lighting I think I might be able to do something with this hobby of mine.
check out these bulbs and housing and let me know what you guys think. Buddy owed me some money and acquired this whole set up and I’ve had it over a year now and really wanna learn how to use it for its reputation of max yields and all in all top of the line equipment .

Ponky

Ponky

Alright I'll do a brief break down. Soil is actually nothing like coco coir. Or ProMix. It's it's own living entity and when you set up a pot of soil you want all the nutirents the plant will use in it. For example let's say you have a bag of black earth soil. You add some worm castings. Perlite for drainage. And whatever other minerals or organics you decide to add. Those would be amendments. You would feed compost tea and water. Ph around 6.4

The simple method. Using ProMix HD and 1 part is super simple. ProMix HD is stacked by the truckload at the grow stores and garden centers. It's peat and perlite. And wetting agent. Has date stamped bakes. About 25 bucks for you. 3 to 5 gallon standard nursery pots. And choose from either Floranova grow and bloom (liquid) or Maxigrow and Maxibloom powder. These are the simplest foods. I use maxi series because with my tap water it comes to a stable PH of 6.0. All you do is veg. Alternate feeding and watering just water. Switch 2 weeks into flower. Thats it. Use correct watering techniques.

As for the bulbs. A 1000 watt in a small tent is too hot. And you don't want to have a stash of old bulbs. Recycle em. Tents can handle 600 watt HPS..and now the standard is LED arrays. I prefer HPS.

Pesticide and fungicide is a must. I use safers 3 in 1 because it's effective and all I can really buy. It is organic. Diatomaceous earth is just a mechanical pest control. And not toxic in any way. In California you have more options. Grow store guy can help.

And for tent crowding. Plants don't like:
Over lapping leaves. Being against the tent walls. And transpiring so hard the tent gets most. They need room and space to breathe. Defoliate them after reading up on it.

For now finish with your plan. Learn from it. See how it yields. So far so good. The real headache is week 6 when your buds look good and then bud rot hits. So do keep that air flow in check. Don't worry about organic. Just knowing what pesticide is used and when is a win.

JKeefster13

JKeefster13

Alright I'll do a brief break down. Soil is actually nothing like coco coir. Or ProMix. It's it's own living entity and when you set up a pot of soil you want all the nutirents the plant will use in it. For example let's say you have a bag of black earth soil. You add some worm castings. Perlite for drainage. And whatever other minerals or organics you decide to add. Those would be amendments. You would feed compost tea and water. Ph around 6.4

The simple method. Using ProMix HD and 1 part is super simple. ProMix HD is stacked by the truckload at the grow stores and garden centers. It's peat and perlite. And wetting agent. Has date stamped bakes. About 25 bucks for you. 3 to 5 gallon standard nursery pots. And choose from either Floranova grow and bloom (liquid) or Maxigrow and Maxibloom powder. These are the simplest foods. I use maxi series because with my tap water it comes to a stable PH of 6.0. All you do is veg. Alternate feeding and watering just water. Switch 2 weeks into flower. Thats it. Use correct watering techniques.

As for the bulbs. A 1000 watt in a small tent is too hot. And you don't want to have a stash of old bulbs. Recycle em. Tents can handle 600 watt HPS..and now the standard is LED arrays. I prefer HPS.

Pesticide and fungicide is a must. I use safers 3 in 1 because it's effective and all I can really buy. It is organic. Diatomaceous earth is just a mechanical pest control. And not toxic in any way. In California you have more options. Grow store guy can help.

And for tent crowding. Plants don't like:
Over lapping leaves. Being against the tent walls. And transpiring so hard the tent gets most. They need room and space to breathe. Defoliate them after reading up on it.

For now finish with your plan. Learn from it. See how it yields. So far so good. The real headache is week 6 when your buds look good and then bud rot hits. So do keep that air flow in check. Don't worry about organic. Just knowing what pesticide is used and when is a win.
I appreciate the wisdom really. Thank you, and I’ll keep the tent crowding in mind as well just moved 4 of them into a 4x2x6 tent keeping 6 in the 4x4x8

Ponky

Ponky

I appreciate the wisdom really. Thank you, and I’ll keep the tent crowding in mind as well just moved 4 of them into a 4x2x6 tent keeping 6 in the 4x4x8
Smart. Prevent issues. The less plants and pots and the more canopy the better. Less fungus. It's like an aquarium. If you over crowd it plants are bound to get sick. I find the ideal plant count to be 2 or 4 per light. 1 if you have a solid time to veg and not much stretch. So far so good. And when you defoliate sterilize the scissors and wash the hands. Just to be safe.

JKeefster13

JKeefster13

ABNORMALLY LONG STEMS ON FAN OR SUGAR LEAVES!! ( don’t quite get how to identify the two )

ALRITE GUYS, NEW TOPIC THAT THING THEY CALL THE INTERNET HAD LITTLE TO TELL ME ABOUT /:

Now I could be completely tripping but my
Last two grows never had stems on they’re leaves that were longer then tip of my middle finger past my wrist. Is this normal?

Top Bottom