Questions on UVA supplemental lighting from AC Infinity

• Thread starter Gorillachaz
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
G

Gorillachaz

Hey guys, it’s Gorillachaz here with my first question for my other fellow thcfarmers out there.

I’m interested in how I can properly utilize my UVA lighting bars from AC Infinity.
They are attached to my Ionframe Evo 8 in my 5x5 @ 1.5’ above my plants.
My two main questions would be as follows.

1. Can I use UVA during vegetative state and if so, for how long?
2. How long should I run UVA on flowering plants?

I’ve attached the guide from the official guide from AC Infinity. It’s been hard to find a straight answer/grow guide specifically about UVA, if someone can cite some information from a study or even a UVA seed to harvest.

Questions on uva supplemental lighting from ac infinity
Questions on uva supplemental lighting from ac infinity 2
Questions on uva supplemental lighting from ac infinity 3
G

Gorillachaz

Found this posted by @GNick55 in a Similar topic

https://www.solacure.com/myths.html
I did come across this! I’ve just found most of the information online to be confusing, but he does mention that running UVB during the last half of Veg for an hour a day.
Since UVA allegedly carries the same benefits minus cancerous hazards to humans id imagine that it would work in a similar manner.

What do you guys think? I just noticed that in my OP, AC Infinity doesn’t recommend UVA during flower. I was looking at the first page which is apparently for their full spectrum bars. Maybe we can spark up a discussion and link some studies about UVA, what’s @GNick55 ’s source of information?

G

Gorillachaz

Found this posted by @GNick55 in a Similar topic

Busting common myths about cannabis and UV

I have a set of the Mars Hydro supplemental UVA bars on my FC-E8000 I run them 100% of the time when I run that light

But this man right here, is awesome when it comes to plants and lighting
Yes I agree, I was watching a YouTube video with him discussing UVA. I’ll link it below.

Skip to 1:43 and he mentions that UVA hasn’t been shown to increase cannabinoids. What do you we think this means for its potential to increase terpenes?

Mikedin

Mikedin

Staff
Supporter
Yes I agree, I was watching a YouTube video with him discussing UVA. I’ll link it below.

Skip to 1:43 and he mentions that UVA hasn’t been shown to increase cannabinoids. What do you we think this means for its potential to increase terpenes?
That’s what I’m understanding from what I read too. UVA is similar to how full spectrum is absorbed, I had good success running mine through from about week 3 of veg through harvest

I don’t think it directly enhances it, but more so for plant growth itself so while it may not increase overall cannabinoids it may increase overall total yeild

I did come across this! I’ve just found most of the information online to be confusing, but he does mention that running UVB during the last half of Veg for an hour a day.
Since UVA allegedly carries the same benefits minus cancerous hazards to humans id imagine that it would work in a similar manner.

What do you guys think? I just noticed that in my OP, AC Infinity doesn’t recommend UVA during flower. I was looking at the first page which is apparently for their full spectrum bars. Maybe we can spark up a discussion and link some studies about UVA, what’s @GNick55 ’s source of information?
Besides the link I’m not 100% sure what else he’s looked into, I’ll let him chime in when he’s around for that.

Last edited:
JKash

JKash

Can you out GRAV The Gravmaster???
Supporter
I'm more curious about the effects of environmental control i.e. molds and mildews killer rather than it helping the plant itself

Mikedin

Mikedin

Staff
Supporter
I'm more curious about the effects of environmental control i.e. molds and mildews killer rather than it helping the plant itself
I do believe that is UVB, i do remember reading about farmers using it on their outdoor crops (non cannabis) just agricultural in general, when they exposed the plants to UVB for 15 minutes after sunset and I believe 15 minutes before sunrise to control powdery mildew etc,

I’d imagine UVC would smoke any bug, but as bugbee says in the video above they tested that at his university (for plant benefit not bug prevention) and the UVC is too intense for the plants to be exposed to directly (and dangerous for you as well)

When I bought my UV/IR bars I thought they where UVB but the NM they state is right on for UVA 380nm, and the IR at 740nm

JKash

JKash

Supporter
I do believe that is UVB, i do remember reading about farmers using it on their outdoor crops (non cannabis) just agricultural in general, when they exposed the plants to UVB for 15 minutes after sunset and I believe 15 minutes before sunrise to control powdery mildew etc,

I’d imagine UVC would smoke any bug, but as bugbee says in the video above they tested that at his university and the UVC is too intense for the plants to be exposed to directly (and dangerous for you as well)
Someone mentioned hiding UVC in the ducting to sterilize.... that way plants won't see the light and it scrubs the air

Mikedin

Mikedin

Staff
Supporter
Someone mentioned hiding UVC in the ducting to sterilize.... that way plants won't see the light and it scrubs the air
That would be an excellent idea in the intake, not sure if the air would be exposed long enough to kill any spores in the air, but would be cool to look into because it may only need to pass by and be sterile

Deadstill

Deadstill

I'm from the government, and I'm here to help.
Supporter
That would be an excellent idea in the intake, not sure if the air would be exposed long enough to kill any spores in the air, but would be cool to look into because it may only need to pass by and be sterile
I'm not an authority on this subject at all but I do have a few air purifiers that have UV lights built into them - so I'm assuming it doesn't take much to do the job.

JKash

JKash

Supporter
That’s what I’m understanding from what I read too. UVA is similar to how full spectrum is absorbed, I had good success running mine through from about week 3 of veg through harvest

I don’t think it directly enhances it, but more so for plant growth itself so while it may not increase overall cannabinoids it may increase overall total yeild

Besides the link I’m not 100% sure what else he’s looked into, I’ll let him chime in when he’s around for that.
So did you run at 100% power??? Or slowly introduce it to the light?

I run 24 hour veg light... so I know too much uv can be hurtful I'm thinking about turning uv off b4 work and on after... it'll be off for about 7 to 8 hours a day

Mikedin

Mikedin

Staff
Supporter
So did you run at 100% power??? Or slowly introduce it to the light?

I run 24 hour veg light... so I know too much uv can be hurtful I'm thinking about turning uv off b4 work and on after... it'll be off for about 7 to 8 hours a day
I left mine running same schedule as the main light, this time I was thinking of trying to go to 30 minutes at start of lights on and 30 minutes before lights off but not sure yet

LoveGrowingIt

LoveGrowingIt

Supporter
I was just reading about 222 nm UV light, known as Far UVC, that's believed to be a safe germicide, but now I can't find the article. There seems to be plenty of documentation. Here's something I just found:
Ultraviolet light in the UVC range is proven to have germicidal properties, with 222 nm UV light showing high efficacy and safety. Standard UVC germicidal lamps emit wavelengths at 254 nm, proven to have high germicidal effectiveness by breaking the DNA bonds inside the nucleus of harmful microbes and pathogens. 254 nm UV lamps, however, are not safe to use when humans are present and pose risks to damaging skin and eyes.

222 UV lamps are showing the same germicidal properties and are much safer than 254 nm lamps due to the way 222 nm wavelengths are absorbed by the protein layer of cells. 222 nm UV light is also known as Far UVC and is considered safe to use around humans without risk of human exposure to skin or eyes.
Source: https://www.light-sources.com/blog/222-nm-uv-light-far-uvc-effectiveness-and-safety/

Top Bottom