rainwater ph high

• Thread starter cruzin
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
weedtech

weedtech

Supporter
Aaand its happening in Earlimart, CA. Once you spoil a aquifer - you are most definitely, fucked.

TCP is a man-made chemical that was used in fumigant pesticides across the Central Valley until it was banned in the 1980s. It’s extremely difficult to degrade, so the chemical moved through the soil to the groundwater, where it’s remained ever since.

Earlimart residents drank water contaminated with TCP for years. A well on Clay Avenue supplied the town’s water until the state began regulating TCP in 2018 and ordered the district to put the well on standby.

The district has plans to drill new wells to replace the contaminated well and the old well and provide clean and more reliable drinking water, but those haven’t worked out so far.

Read more here:

Kampbe1l

Kampbe1l

sorry if it's been covered already...rain water tends to be acidic (lower pH), because it goes through the atmosphere, and gets carbonated/oxygenated (have to think about which one). so, you have to treat rain water. one reason why plants tend to be yellow and droopy after rain is because of the more acidic pH of rain water (let alone, volume of watering).

which doesn't explain the high pH of your rainwater.

out of curiosity, i might collect some rainwater myself...

Last edited:
growsince79

growsince79

Rainwateris almost 100% pure. PH MEANS NOTHING, since one particle of anything will change it either way. Im not the best at explaining... Help @Aquaman

cruzin

cruzin

We had a big rain this morning and it filled my tank to the overflow and I checked the tanks waters ph and it tested at 7.4 so may be I needed a big batch of fresh water to dilute the previous waters ph. Im going to use some of the water on my garden veggies and keep an eye on it for my favorite crop.

cruzin

cruzin

Water is def not a renewal resource. That's why it illegal to use some places. There is probably something leaching into your tank. I doubt the roof would have anything to do with it unless something was sprayed on it even then the rain water only touched it for at the most 3 seconds.

Google search for a water supply store say culligan man if in Ontario. Call them out to have your tap water tested they will test your rain water too

I use rain water for my dwc but I add cal mag obviously my water tested pH of 6.8 and ppm of 8.

Unless your in a heavily populated and polluted city like LA where acid rain could be the problem (not sure about alkaline rain tho).

Have you considered a possible microb problem? That would be my first place I'd start. Some how sterilize your holding tank with hydroguard or enzyme complete even high dose of h202.
I think to do it with h202 would be too expensive what about the clorox bleach

growsince79

growsince79

We had a big rain this morning and it filled my tank to the overflow and I checked the tanks waters ph and it tested at 7.4 so may be I needed a big batch of fresh water to dilute the previous waters ph. Im going to use some of the water on my garden veggies and keep an eye on it for my favorite crop.
Why do you care what the ph of rainwater is?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Rainwateris almost 100% pure. PH MEANS NOTHING, since one particle of anything will change it either way. Im not the best at explaining... Help @Aquaman
Lol I was reading this going.... Someone will say it.... 👍 I must have missed this somehow

Rain water is essentially very similar to RO water. Definitely if collected from runoff ph can easily be impacted by anything soluble and ph is not really a good indication of suitability by itself. Gonna save myself some time.

LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter
Lol I was reading this going.... Someone will say it.... 👍 I must have missed this somehow

Rain water is essentially very similar to RO water. Definitely if collected from runoff ph can easily be impacted by anything soluble and ph is not really a good indication of suitability by itself. Gonna save myself some time.

did you guys forget the acid rain lessons of the 80s?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

did you guys forget the acid rain lessons of the 80s?
Now what is acid rain? And how does it affect different soils? If you notice many of the same compounds we use to ph our nutrients down than add to the soil.

You ph down your nutrients? Does that mean it's bad?

This kinda makes the point that ph is not the only factor we need to look at. Because rainwater lacks carbonate and bicarbonate it easily influenced and acidified

LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter
Now what is acid rain? And how does it affect different soils? If you notice many of the same compounds we use to ph our nutrients down than add to the soil.

You ph down your nutrients? Does that mean it's bad?

This kinda makes the point that ph is not the only factor we need to look at. Because rainwater lacks carbonate and bicarbonate it easily influenced and acidified

Oh i was just saying its not PH neutral and rain water is not like RO water either,, according to the epa CLEAN rain water is liek 5.6 Acid rain is down to like 4.3 with all kinda pollutants in it.

Unless you live in the country its really not a clean source for water is my point.

carry on :D

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Oh i was just saying its not PH neutral and rain water is not like RO water either,, according to the epa CLEAN rain water is liek 5.6 Acid rain is down to like 4.3 with all kinda pollutants in it.

Unless you live in the country its really not a clean source for water is my point.

carry on :D
How is it not like RO they both have almost all minerals removed? That makes for a very unstable ph and no buffering capacity. The ph of rainwater can vary greatly based on location

LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter
How is it not like RO they both have almost all minerals removed? That makes for a very unstable ph and no buffering capacity. The ph of rainwater can vary greatly based on location

thats why i said city is a bad source.. and sure by that comparison i guess RO and rain water ( CLEAN ) are similar..

lol

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

He is right. Rain water can have contaminants. Especially off city roofs and concrete.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

He is right. Rain water can have contaminants. Especially off city roofs and concrete.
Oh no I agree. Thats why I said it can easily be affected by anything that dissolved in it. Any contamination may make it unsuitable. I'm just speaking from a ph perspective

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Pollution. According to the EPA, Rain water collects impurities as it falls from the atmosphere.

I don't know what all those are but impurities from pollution don't sound like shit i want in my shmoky. Just sayin.. :D
Acid rain sulfur dioxide is one nitrous oxide. Create sulfuric acid and nitric acid. Aka acid rain. But both are nutrients to plants and we add them as ph as is.

I absolutely agree there maybe others not so desirable but that depends a lot on location. My biggest worry would be how it's collected. Like off a roof covered in bird shit etc.

My point is just that acid rain or the ph of rainwater is not a reliable way to indicate its suitability.

Contaminants are a whole other issue.

Top Bottom