Raptor XXXL 8" Hoods

• Thread starter Sunshinegrower
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Dr CandyMan

Dr CandyMan

Breeder
Supporter
yeah ill try to get to the pics, i havent had time at all lately. In my area is a hydro shop that has a Dual bulb Raptor working model hanging up in the store. They sell about 50 brackets a week $10 a pop. There are dozens of grow rooms in my area with Dual bulb Raptor hoods. U guys are sitting on here arguing about it. But its pretty common knowledge around my parts, everybody with Raptor hoods is doing it now. Its no big deal, and its easy to do.

ttystikk

ttystikk

If it's good for the Raptor, it's good for the Ocho?

yeah ill try to get to the pics, i havent had time at all lately. In my area is a hydro shop that has a Dual bulb Raptor working model hanging up in the store. They sell about 50 brackets a week $10 a pop. There are dozens of grow rooms in my area with Dual bulb Raptor hoods. U guys are sitting on here arguing about it. But its pretty common knowledge around my parts, everybody with Raptor hoods is doing it now. Its no big deal, and its easy to do.

Placement is everything. As I interpreted the thread starter's original comments, he wanted to put two bulbs in BESIDE one another in the hood, and that would have a pretty poor outcome. You've discussed installing the bulbs IN LINE with one another, and that's a whole different kettle of fish in terms of utilizing the reflector design. I'm very interested in pics, or a link to the kit, or whatever you might find that illustrates what you're doing. I have several Sunlight Supply Magnum xxxl 8" 'ocho' hoods and if this works for Raptors, maybe I can do something similar with these.

ttystikk

ttystikk

So I have been growing for years now and I have learned a lot. Here's my question and has anyone done it before... I'm running the Raptor XXXL 8" ducted hoods with 1k Argosun HPS bulb. My idea is to configure the hood to hold 2 - 1k HPS bulbs in it. One of my main concerns is how close can the bulbs be next to each other, but my idea is to move the current bulb from the center over to one side by 4" or so and then install another the same distance off from center so they would roughly have 8" apart. I would ramp up the air flow on the hoods also to keep everything running cool. I have seen hoods with dual bulbs, but nothing like this before.

So, back to the original idea for a moment; here, you want to install two bulbs side by side in the Raptor hood, and you invited comments. The problem is that the hood is designed to mount the bulb along the centerline of the hood. Moving the bulb over to one side to accomodate another one is going to lead to poor results because the reflector's spread pattern isn't set up for it.

On the other hand, if you install a second bulb in line with the first- that is along the centerline of the hood- it won't screw up the pattern of reflection the hood was designed for and has the potential to lead to some good results. Running one MH and one HPS bulb would work especially well for veg if hung high enough for the light to spread out over a 5x5' or even 6x6' area, and it would also work well in the last week or two of flower.

Or, like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13MAhn351mk

This guy is using a Sunpulse splitter to run two 600W bulbs in a raptor hood. Looks promising...

Top Bottom