RDWC nutrient set up help needed

• Thread starter Jimalone
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
J

Jimalone

Using RO water and adding cal-mag. Cutting edge nutrients. Does the micro have enough secondary nutes to not need the cal mag? Getting yellow leaf veins in new growth. Which would be cal-mag deficiency? Once I add cal-mag it really jumps my EC up to where I can only add small amount of nutes. Is there a ratio anyone knows? I know RDWC uses less nutes. Anyone have some advise. Just scrapping second run of autos due to stunted growth and the yellowing leaf veins.

J

Jimalone

Thought about that. But tap water here is really hard. It runs 450 ppm. So really scales up a hydro system.

PK1

PK1

Supporter
Welcome to THC. Stick around, im sure someone can help you out!

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Using RO water and adding cal-mag. Cutting edge nutrients. Does the micro have enough secondary nutes to not need the cal mag? Getting yellow leaf veins in new growth. Which would be cal-mag deficiency? Once I add cal-mag it really jumps my EC up to where I can only add small amount of nutes. Is there a ratio anyone knows? I know RDWC uses less nutes. Anyone have some advise. Just scrapping second run of autos due to stunted growth and the yellowing leaf veins.
I don't use Cutting Edge, but I can comment a little. I run several RDWC systems.

First, RDWC does not use less nutes - in fact overall if you have your system tuned for growing trees, it uses more. It's just that the TDS / EC needs to be lower because they are so available for take up. Easy to burn the plants if you have too high a concentration, you just have to add smaller amounts more often to keep it in the sweet spot.

I also don't run autos because I want complete control over the entire plant - root ball size, veg time, etc. I'm sure you understand. For me, a properly tuned RDWC setup is like a Ferrari if you are doing it right, or it can be a demo derby car if not. It kinda just magnifies things both good and bad. Experience lets you tune for the good and eliminate the bad (to a point). But changes happen quickly and with little inputs - so you can easily overcorrect and be your own worst enemy.

In terms of EC values and Cal-Mag - totally depends on the timing and stage of the plant at least with Photos. I'm not sure my EC numbers or techniques apply to you since you have different nutes and are running autos, but I'll help where I can. Maybe post a pic and we can diagnose together?

Here is a generalization that I think will hold true for both of us - Cal Mag is an important amendment early in the plant life, especially with RO as your source. Maybe a rule of thumb I work with: starting with 0 PPM RO water, add Cal Mag to get to 125 - 150 PPM. Then add nutes on top of that, but don't exceed more than around 400PPM until the plants are well established and flowering. Just a normal diet down the middle while building mass. Then, when flowering you drop off Cal Mag and replace with the stinky shit like Sulphur to get the terpenes happening.

Do you run CO2? What lights / size of grow? How often are you doing a water change? Are you using biologics or running a sterile res? What are the plants in, like CoCo or Hydroton or Rock Wool? RH and Temp control? If you want to post pics of your whole system, I'll make suggestions.

J

Jimalone

First off thank you, appreciate the help.
Growing in a 4x4 tent. Have 2 marshydro ts-1000 LEDs. I'm running 4 five gallon buckets with net pots. With a 5th as a reservoir. Running an air pump with "soda cans" stones in all buckets. And a submersible pump from my reservoir to a chiller and then individual chill water lines into each bucket for circulation and temp. Plants started in rockwool cubes and into net pots with hydroton pellets. Using RO water at 18ppm. AZ tap water is over 450ppm... So I'm just scrapping round 2. Getting yellow leaf veins and stunted growth. They never really took off. Wasn't sure initially if the LEDs were turned up too high power wise, so dialed down accordingly and unchanged growth, so nutes gotta be off because round 2 has the same yellow veins, and stunted growth. Which I am thinking is a cal-mag deficiency. As far as the autos go, I figured it was a quicker way to get dialed in on my system, which I have yet to achieve. I started more seeds soaking today, ph'd some more cubes, and will start with your suggestion of 150 ppm of cal-mag. And then go like 20% recommended nutes initially and .3 ec or so? Will get some pics after I get it back together after cleaning. I have some pics of the leaves...is this cal-mag deficiency?

20220116 104141
20220116 104043
PK1

PK1

Supporter
you are running enzymes. i personally don't have good memories of hydroguard but upload some pictures of the roots.
as far as the plant deficiency goes, to me it looks like she is hungry.

J

Jimalone

Not hydroguard, hydrozyme. Currently have it apart for cleaning and a restart Root masses were a little stained from nutes, but smallish in size. Not what I'd expect or have seen on videos.

• Haha
Reactions: PK1
Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Not hydroguard, hydrozyme. Currently have it apart for cleaning and a restart Root masses were a little stained from nutes, but smallish in size. Not what I'd expect or have seen on videos.
I think you might be misinterpreting the root color. Nutes don’t stain roots. This needs to be fleshed out as I’m nearly sure this is the problem and not any changing of nutrients will fix the root cause if the roots are damaged. Pun intended. I’d love to see a pic of the roots to confirm my hypothesis tho.

Latest posts

Top Bottom