Reasons for cupping/tacoing not related to heat or light?? Need help please.

• Thread starter Blakeja
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Definitely your light is to close but the light cycle is important to figure out where ya need to be.

Cmh will warm the leaves far more than led so I bet if mid to late day you rake an IR temp gun and check leaf temps they are over 80f.

Blakeja

Blakeja

Ok I'm gonna pay for being so brazen on this but it looks and understand pics may be worth a 1000 words bit it doesn't mean this words are right lol....

Looks like you have mites, sprayed for pest control trol and now your leaves are burning on top of it from the spray and light combo.

Just what it looks like to me and I'm a moose riding, beer drinking, hockey loving drop out from kanukastan (stole that from @Frankster ) I ain't no fortune teller but any of that ring true?
I wish it was that simple, I’ve been down that road once before would never use a harsh spray again.

I have fed at just under full strength and will continue until I either see a worse result or no change at which point I will reduce and flush which isn’t necessary right now since everything going in is coming out no problem.

it’s either a deficiency or under feeding I believe..

lights also maxed height to see if there is change any change.

any other wild ideas? I’m at a loss really. 😟

Frankster

Frankster

Never trust a doctor who's plants have died.
Supporter
One of two of the same strain has been showing some heat stress lately same height of light and conditions.
scratching my head to try and solve this.. any ideas would be really appreciated.

thanks!
I think potassium is involved here, possibly pH

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I wish it was that simple, I’ve been down that road once before would never use a harsh spray again.

I have fed at just under full strength and will continue until I either see a worse result or no change at which point I will reduce and flush which isn’t necessary right now since everything going in is coming out no problem.

Light cycle? AtleSt 3 feet away.

Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
Runoff ph and tds both within range comparative to inflow levels..

really stumped here guys time to feed and no clear path forward lol.

lights are at a good height

nutrients going in are the same on the way out same with PH (minor fluctuations)

I feel like maybe my 3/4 of recommended dosage is lacking? Just wouldn’t make sense since the other three plants one of the same genetics even are flourishing..

@Aqua Man ?
@GNick55 ?
@Flat_Eric ?
I think what happens in this situation is you get things humming along, raise ppm to a good high level, then one factor gets out of line, perhaps temps, or RH, and it's a system wide crash, resulting in having all those things dialed in so tightly.

First thing I ever do when I got a problem is back the lights off, and consider a little lighter nutrient. Then when I'm back on track again, I dial it back up.
The plants obviously need a bit of respite here, that much is obvious.

Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
it's tips, leaf margins, I always think potassium when looking at tips like that. If it was cal, it would be pushing it out the ends, I believe. Not along all the margins. There might be some magnesium involvement, possibly. But it sure looks like high potassium, or low potassium too me.

Last edited:
Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
Ok I'm gonna pay for being so brazen on this but it looks and understand pics may be worth a 1000 words bit it doesn't mean this words are right lol....

Looks like you have mites, sprayed for pest control trol and now your leaves are burning on top of it from the spray and light combo.

Just what it looks like to me and I'm a moose riding, beer drinking, hockey loving drop out from kanukastan (stole that from @Frankster ) I ain't no fortune teller but any of that ring true?
It well could be mites or some sort of pathogenic response that kicked this all into motion, no doubts about that one. I see nothing definitive, but it could just be early.

Frankster

Frankster

Supporter

Are you sure there wasn't any recent pH fluctuations? That's what it looks like too me.

Blakeja

Blakeja

Other with MH is to place hand just above canopy and if it’s too hot on your hand after a few seconds then it’s too hot for the plants.

no where near to hot other plants closer to me of the four are taller and have their light closer than the two in the back and their living life.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I think what happens in this situation is you get things humming along, raise ppm to a good high level, then one factor gets out of line, perhaps temps, or RH, and it's a system wide crash, resulting in having all those things dialed in so tightly.

First thing I ever do when I got a problem is back the lights off, and consider a little lighter nutrient. Then when I'm back on track again, I dial it back up.
The plants obviously need a bit of respite here, that much is obvious.
The only RULE imo in cannabis growing.

Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
I think also I've seen shit like this occur after foliar feeding with too high pH ie. >8.5 and too low pH, ie. <5
especially things like too rich amount of Dr Bonners castile soap, or something along those lines, cause it's a relative high pH mixture.

It seems just some plants or cultivars are more sensitive to mixtures than others.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

no where near to hot other plants closer to me of the four are taller and have their light closer than the two in the back and their living life.
I'm not trying to say your wrong g but you are assuming.... don't assume or you will miss things.

Use an IR temp gun to check leaves. Now that the light is backed off they may be ok but we still don't know how many hours of lights on and off you have.

2 ft was definitely definitely to close and I can almost promise the leaf temps were over 80f and likely by a fair bit.

Blakeja

Blakeja

Now that I got the wrong answer out if the way... what is your light cycle, twmls and humidity? Specifically mid lights on to late lights on.
I’m not sure what twmls are? Humidity ranges from 45-55 ish. In the north west so sometimes low 60’s depending on outside RH. Usually my dehumidifier will keep it around the sweets though.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

At 2 ft... after looking this over I'm all but certain that was the issue but again still no info on the lights on and off. Hard to recommend without info.

And remember damaged leaves will not get better only worse so only look at new growth. Don't look for leaves to get better because they wont

Blakeja

Blakeja

I think potassium is involved here, possibly pH
I had considered potassium looking at charts and characteristics, I think any defic would be covered under me bumping up my feed? Or could it be locked out due to over feed of cal?

Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
Please believe me when I say, I've done some pretty extreme things to plants. I like to do stressing early on, so I've gone a little overboard at times. I've seen almost everything under the sun. Stress is a good thing IMO, just needs to be controlled. lol.
I’m not sure what twmls are? Humidity ranges from 45-55 ish. In the north west so sometimes low 60’s depending on outside RH. Usually my dehumidifier will keep it around the sweets though.
Yea, but if it gets too low, shit will go overboard, and the symptoms you got there look just like that. Maybe prolonged 30RH or even low 40's. Especially if your throwing high ppms at it.

Last edited:
Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
I had considered potassium looking at charts and characteristics, I think any defic would be covered under me bumping up my feed? Or could it be locked out due to over feed of cal?
I think it's a combination of factors, ie. a cascade failure, cause by "something" and yes, this was part of what happened. As to the origin, it's difficult to say. You can only tell so much looking there. There's clues, nothing definitive.

Latest posts

Top Bottom