recommend a good portable a/c

• Thread starter HNIC
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
J

joekush

I like soleus 14200 btu ac with 12,000 btu heater it has a duel motor I think I paid around 500 for it keeps my 6- 1000w room nice and cool during the summer months.

X

Xceptional

Xceptional, How big a room and how many light's you cooling?
I have a LG 9000btu portable cooling a 9x9x7 room with 2k and ballasts in the room. It keeps light on temp's 74 degrees.
This is below grade which does help as well. I also don't have to worry about smell issues.

i ran that portable for two runs 10 x 10 1 run had 2k the other run had 3k. during the 3k run i had to keep my houses central air on and cool it using that as well.

K

KING_KONG_KOLAS

Portable ac are garbage.. mine only worked one summer then was toast.. didnt cool worht a shit either.. total waste of money.. Regular window unit.. box and duct and inline fan is definatly wher its at..

X

Xceptional

Portable ac are garbage.. mine only worked one summer then was toast.. didnt cool worht a shit either.. total waste of money.. Regular window unit.. box and duct and inline fan is definatly wher its at..

it's funny thats been said like a million times in his thread already but he is persistent that he is "not handy" and used the word "idiot" and that he doesn't understand how to build or have the mechanical aptitude to tape 4 pieces of foam board together.

420Gator

420Gator

if he cant build an AC box he wont be able to hook up a portable either, there is still some "handy" work involved lol

K

KING_KONG_KOLAS

Damn.. I guess the lights are on.. but nobodys home baby!! lol
Sometimes you just gota dive in head first.. Aint nothing free in this world..
Hell all these nice people trying to help.. go buy you a hammer bro..

F

Fred

Premium Member
Supporter
In your case I would suggest an Edgestar extreme 12,000 or 14,000 BTU portable A/C. All portable A/C's let the smell escape. If you scrub the air it can solve this problem. This is gonna take a carbon filter hooked to a fan.

It might be in your best interest to get a few books. Some basic wiring, plumbing, and constuction will be most helpful. Many standard gardening and greenhouse books have this in them too. Homesteading books are great too. All kinds of good info in there.

Growing has taught me how to be a plumber, an electrician and more.

Good Luck

fred

Giddeon

Giddeon

All portable A/C's let the smell escape.

Kwikool makes a portable unit where the smell wont escape heres the link

they also make water cooled and split units. I am not an AC tech I have very little experience in HVAC and even I can hook up these units.

R

rswsound

friedrich split unit a/c seem to be the 1 for me. keeps shit cold. They run about 1500.

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

I am a HVAC tech so I am going to throw my 2 cents in here. The 3 biggest reasons why everyone keeps saying that portables are not good are:

1) Electrical usage. They are generally less efficient then all other options.
2) They suck at distributing the air because they only have 1 or 2 air distribution tubes.
3) They let the smell out.

If you have NO other options and ur room is small then get a portable but be prepared to replace it next grow because u most likely will not like it.

Apache69

Apache69

I am a HVAC tech so I am going to throw my 2 cents in here. The 3 biggest reasons why everyone keeps saying that portables are not good are:

1) Electrical usage. They are generally less efficient then all other options.
2) They suck at distributing the air because they only have 1 or 2 air distribution tubes.
3) They let the smell out.

If you have NO other options and ur room is small then get a portable but be prepared to replace it next grow because u most likely will not like it.

Thank you for a professional view!

I am running a portable 1Ton from Homedepot and its pretty good. It keeps a 74sq' rm with 2000W HPS Bare lights nice and cool without working too hard. Its been
about 98 here most days so its doing the job. As for Smell. I or anyone else can not smell the Sulfur I burn even while the airconditioner is running. So I am not sure what the deal is. I would have rather installed a Split level or window unit but I need more power. 100amp main panel does not do the job...

But you are right I need to step it up and get a window unit.

Thanks again!

B

Buddy Hemphill

My landlord said.. do what I want in the garage but don't put one effin hole inside the house.

So, I got a soleus 12000 btu for the moms. I am running one light on a rail. 2 oscillators.I got the one with two hoses. I like it. It isn't working hard and its quiet. Temps stay within 4 degrees and it is big enough to control humidity.

The down side is that it stinks outside the window a little. I am in the country so it doesn't matter.

I run a big mini in the other room. This seemed like and easy answer for the mom room.

I saw someone post that portables steal all the CO2.... I thought that one of these hoses was SUPPLYING cooled fresh air. Which is correct? Shouldn't the CO2 be at a little less that atmoshperic depending on what the plants use?

G

Growops

so if he builds the box around a window unit what cfm should one exhaust with ? do you make the box around the unit air tight ? if not wouldt you be exhausting the room/smell threw the cracks ? or just use low cfm like 172 vortex .. id assume the box is 2 Cu feet

G

gudkarma

while window units & split a/c are good for grow rooms, i have a portable a/c unit that i love, that works well, and that is EASY to hook up & install (even though my handy skills are way above average).

the hot air & collected moisture are exhausted via a really slick, low profile, window adapter plate.

plenty of noise, no doubt, but works like a champ & does the job in a fairly stealthy manner.

i am not going down efficiency avenue, no way no how. howver, as far as functionality, no issues.

i love mine.

amcor : model # kf9000e

if you are on a budget, if you can't hang a unit out a window, if you dont want to drain an a/c rez two or three times a day ==> it's a good score

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

My landlord said.. do what I want in the garage but don't put one effin hole inside the house.

So, I got a soleus 12000 btu for the moms. I am running one light on a rail. 2 oscillators.I got the one with two hoses. I like it. It isn't working hard and its quiet. Temps stay within 4 degrees and it is big enough to control humidity.

The down side is that it stinks outside the window a little. I am in the country so it doesn't matter.

I run a big mini in the other room. This seemed like and easy answer for the mom room.

I saw someone post that portables steal all the CO2.... I thought that one of these hoses was SUPPLYING cooled fresh air. Which is correct? Shouldn't the CO2 be at a little less that atmoshperic depending on what the plants use?

They only steal CO2 if portable a/c is in room. Then the air going thru condenser on portable is exhausted out of room after going thru condenser. If air going across condenser comes from outside room then you have no problems.

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

so if he builds the box around a window unit what cfm should one exhaust with ? do you make the box around the unit air tight ? if not wouldt you be exhausting the room/smell threw the cracks ? or just use low cfm like 172 vortex .. id assume the box is 2 Cu feet

I would do at least a 600 cfm fan. You may need bigger depending on size of window unit.

Johnnygrowz

Johnnygrowz

I like soleus 14200 btu ac with 12,000 btu heater it has a duel motor I think I paid around 500 for it keeps my 6- 1000w room nice and cool during the summer months.
Single hose or dual?

XxHammer

XxHammer

FinishedWithAC

I got a 12k BTU Toshiba. The thing is fucking dope. Has all kinds of automatic settings built into it... an auto-time OFF and ON.... Drying Mode, Constant Fan Mode....

I would probably do an "In-Window" Unit next... I just happen to get this 400$ unit for Free so I could not pass it up.

RealizedReal000

RealizedReal000

Am I the only one who has had success with a portable unit? I have a Toshiba portable ac and I got a 4-6 inch reducer and made a dryer exhaust vent and hooked it up to that. Then I went over it and used have tape to seal all air leaks. I’ve had it for over a year and my grow area went from 86 to 75. I also went and bought a bunch of carbon filters specifically for my unit. And humidity with it on is 55.

Top Bottom