Recommend a ph meter

• Thread starter logic
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
F

FastForward

hey dude its the same as mine . im on my 2nd grow with it and havnt had too calibrate it as yet i test it every 2 weeks but it stays spot on . only thing i dont no why i have to take the endcap of to turn it off because the lights flash all the time.

I think it's probably because the head is still wet, or there's liquid in the cap? I have the same thing....I just give it a good shake to get the excess off and put the lid on...it continues to flash but then once it locks on it then goes off again. It's great kit - although I've already lost the little calibration magnet :huh:

jah_hoover

jah_hoover

dont bother with bluelab ph sticks they are not worth it at all, ive sent mine back so many times ive lost count and you have to calibrate them every 2 weeks or they fuck up.

F

FastForward

dont bother with bluelab ph sticks they are not worth it at all, ive sent mine back so many times ive lost count and you have to calibrate them every 2 weeks or they fuck up.

Calibration every 2 weeks doesn't sound that bad to me? I was calibrating my hobby one pretty much daily...

F

FastForward

A bit off topic but interesting - taken from Progrow's forum:

Calibration

Since glass pH electrodes measure H+ (hydrogen ion) concentration relative to their reference half-cells, they must be calibrated periodically to ensure accurate, repeatable measurements.

Although calibration against one pH reference buffer (one-point calibration) typically ensures accurate pH measurement, frequent two-point or even three-point calibrations ensure the most reliable results. Make sure your pH system includes calibration buffers for a range of pH values.

Handling

Rinse electrodes with distilled water before and after measuring a sample. Blot the end of the electrode with lint-free paper to remove excess water. NOTE: Never wipe the electrode to remove excess water - wiping can create static charges that interfere with correct pH measurement.

Conditioning

pH electrodes are shipped with the electrodes moist. Remove the protective cap or rubber boot from the bottom of the sensor and rinse the electrode with distilled or deionised water.

Place the electrode in a clean container containing one of the liquids i.e. 4.0 M K.C.l. or pH 4.0 buffer or pH 7.0 buffer. Soak electrode for 20 minutes. NOTE: Never condition the electrode in distilled water or deionised water - long term exposure to pure water will damage the special glass membrane.

After conditioning the sensor, rinse the electrode with distilled or deionised water. The electrode is ready for calibration and measurement.

Storing

Always keep pH electrode moist. Proper pH electrode storage maximizes electrode performance and extends electrode life. It is best to store electrodes in clean containers filled with pH storage solution. Do not store an electrode in distilled or deionised water - this will cause ions to leach out of the glass bulb and render your electrode useless.

Cleaning

The solution used to clean pH electrode depends on the presence of possible contaminants. Use the guide below to choose the appropriate solution:
For general cleaning soak the pH electrode in 0.1 M HCl or 0.1 M HNO3 for 20 minutes

For removing stubborn deposits and bacteria soak the pH electrode in a 1:10 dilution of household laundry bleach for 10 minutes

For removal of oil and grease rinse the pH electrode with mild detergent or methanol

For removal of protein deposits soak the pH electrode in 1% pepsin in 0.1M HCl for 5 minutes

After any of the cleaning procedures, thoroughly rinse the pH electrode with deionised water, drain and refill the reference chamber, and soak the electrode in storage solution for at least an hour.

J

julsbagell

Premium Member
Supporter
hanna self calabrating works better than any meter Ive ever had just push a button dip in solution done.

K

kid606

am i the only one who still uses a drop bottle and a sample tube?????

gawd i feel old
switched from cheapo to hanna and then back to the good old drops...ahh..the hanna was a mess..had to calibrate it quite often..finally it didn't calibrate properly..drops are fine :cool:

M

mymeds

I've been using an extech ph110 for a little over 2 years now, so far its by far the best and longest lived one I've had (gone through more than a few). If you want to make your meters last as long as possible take notes on Fastfowards post #45 above, especially the handling and storage. I follow a pretty simple routine while checking ph. First I remove the cap and make sure there is plenty of 4.0 ref or storage solution in it. Next I give it a quick rinse (I keep a mason jar full of ro-di water for rinsing), then proceed to check the ph. When I'm done I simply rinse again dab dry with a lint free cloth and replace the cap. I check my pen for accuracy about every two to three weeks with 7.0 and 4.01 ref solution, and calibrate maybe once every couple months or as needed. If you really want to get the most out of your purchase I would suggest looking for a meter that allows you to refill and replace the junctions in your electrode, much cheaper than actually replacing your probe and assures accuracy.

Rootbound

Rootbound

Supporter
ISFET mini lab !!!! Dry storage and 1 drop of calibration solution to calibrate !!!! RB

M

mymeds

ISFET mini lab !!!! Dry storage and 1 drop of calibration solution to calibrate !!!! RB
Wow, looks like a kick @ss meter. Never heard of ISFET sensor before. I wounder real world with our application how long the probe will last, my guess quite a while but who knows. But those replacements probes are pricey.

Rootbound

Rootbound

Supporter
So far my ISFET meter has stayed spot on on calibration for 11 months. Dry storage is sweet , just wipe it dry with my shamwow rag put then put the cap on. 2-3 drops of ph solution to calibrate also. RB

JayBee

JayBee

International Toker
Supporter
I have had my red waterproof hanna ph pen for about a year now and everytime i check it is spot on. I still calibrate every couple month as it is real easy but I think key is keeping little bit of storage solution in the cap. I was expecting to need to replace this meter after 6 month or a year but so far has exceeded expectations.

Regarding the blue lab ph truncheon. They admit they were faulty and stopped selling them. So any stores still selling them should know better. I have spoken to them in NZ before and they recomend if you want a blue lab ph meter to get the digital combo meter. EC truncheon from blue lab is still the bomb.

JB

O

oldtimer60

transcat.com deals with all types of industrial and lab meters they got everything you would want

G

GroHi

pH test drops @ $8... probably last you a year & will always work... mj really responds well to "good enough" as long as it is consistent. Peace to all.

Latest posts

Top Bottom