Redneck ac? In a grow tent?

• Thread starter MDK
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
MDK

MDK

So my grow tent is heating up and now I'm thinking of cooling options. Before I had my son, I had a gaming room with all sorts of gaming consoles and pc, and of course my weed stash dab pipes etc....well those ps4s and shit would run pretty hot and then getting out the torch...you're sweating. Well I made one of those redneck ac deals which was just a fan that blew into a Styrofoam cooler that I would put a frozen gallon jug of water in....then I had of course an exhaust pipe to blow the cool air my way.

Anyone ever try this with a grow tent? I don't think I'll need a whole lot of help since I'm in a basement so it's naturally "cooler" and I don't have an option to pipe in any ac.

What I do have is an intake fan going into my tent to help out my exhaust fan. I was thinking about maybe just building a foam box by the intake inlet that I can put my intake hose into.. then throw in a frozen jug of water and blow out the other side....nothing to restricting maybe just straight across the top of the jug and out so it don't cut my intake flow down a whole lot?

Any thoughts before I potentially waste 30 or 40 bucks I can't really afford to waste at the moment?

RootsRuler

RootsRuler

Ok...if I have a dehumidifier would it be as big of a problem you think?
Sorry. Forgot to ask. Are you asking if it's ok because dehu is located inside the tent?

Never mind. Re-read your thread. Dehu will be fine.

Last edited:
Zen_Seeker

Zen_Seeker

So my grow tent is heating up and now I'm thinking of cooling options. Before I had my son, I had a gaming room with all sorts of gaming consoles and pc, and of course my weed stash dab pipes etc....well those ps4s and shit would run pretty hot and then getting out the torch...you're sweating. Well I made one of those redneck ac deals which was just a fan that blew into a Styrofoam cooler that I would put a frozen gallon jug of water in....then I had of course an exhaust pipe to blow the cool air my way.

Anyone ever try this with a grow tent?
I have a portable A/C unit ready but before that I did one step lower and just had a fan oscillating over ice in shallow water. It got me through a heat wave but manually.

So now portable A/C.

I don't think I'll need a whole lot of help since I'm in a basement so it's naturally "cooler" and I don't have an option to pipe in any ac.
I’m in a basement but half exposed. Heatwave was the only time it was an issue. But it was for the better part of two weeks.

What I do have is an intake fan going into my tent to help out my exhaust fan. I was thinking about maybe just building a foam box by the intake inlet that I can put my intake hose into.. then throw in a frozen jug of water and blow out the other side....nothing to restricting maybe just straight across the top of the jug and out so it don't cut my intake flow down a whole lot?
My 6” intake at the bottom is where I put a water try or water and ice if needing a quick fix. Inside so humidity and cold is all away from electronics & pets but outside is easier to maintain. Fan waterproof?

Any thoughts before I potentially waste 30 or 40 bucks I can't really afford to waste at the moment?
Portable if you have one. I’m okay till wifey takes it back. 🤣

Reactions: MDK
PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter

Anyone ever try this with a grow tent? I don't think I'll need a whole lot of help since I'm in a basement so it's naturally "cooler" and I don't have an option to pipe in any ac.

Hey, look for stuff at used goods stores, We have a chain here in Canada Value Village, I get a lot of my stuff there. Fans, coolers, electric splitters and timers, 12v transformers, computer fans, trays, pots, risers, I never pay over $5 for anything.....You could get 12v computer fans one in one out of your cooler idea with ducting....

MDK

MDK

Hey, look for stuff at used goods stores, We have a chain here in Canada Value Village, I get a lot of my stuff there. Fans, coolers, electric splitters and timers, 12v transformers, computer fans, trays, pots, risers, I never pay over $5 for anything.....You could get 12v computer fans one in one out of your cooler idea with ducting....
I would but I'm kind of weird about what I bring into my tent, dust, mold, and many other things that could be hidden in old appliances makes me paranoid

My brother had a used ps4 he bought and it needed some repair I opened it and it was full of dead roaches 🤮

MDK

MDK

Yes my dehumidifier is heating my tent...about 4 degrees F...if I can beat that with a redneck ac (Googled swamp ac it was literally same thing) like if I can achieve 15 degrees cooler with it...20 maybe...that'd handle the heat the dehumidifier is putting off I think plus keep me in low 80s even around 100 degrees outside

MDK

MDK

20230404 210330

This is my intake just an 195 cfm ac infinity inline fan....should I just build a cooler outside the end that my intake fan just pulls from? Something like this

20230404 210806

Imagine the box being my "redneck ac" cooler...and just keeping it outside the tent as such to free up space? I still can turn the fan up some....

Would that be better than moving this heater out of the way and installing a "redneck ac pass thru box" inside the tent?

20230404 210419

Thanks for the time an opinions I appreciate and value them truly...this community rocks!

MDK

MDK

20230404 211826

I could cut this thing up to put a milk jug in and hook the fan to? Lol my inner red green sees the duct tape heavens....stay tuned

RootsRuler

RootsRuler

Do the Cooler A/C. The cooler will keep your frozen gallon cold longer. Red Green would.

Any chance you can have your dehu located outside the tent?

Does it get cold enough that you need a heater?

RootsRuler

RootsRuler

I would but I'm kind of weird about what I bring into my tent, dust, mold, and many other things that could be hidden in old appliances makes me paranoid

My brother had a used ps4 he bought and it needed some repair I opened it and it was full of dead roaches 🤮
Bought a humidifier at one of the local second hands. It's an $80 humidifier that I got for $6. Works flawlessly.

I ordered another from AC Infinity. As much as I like my bargain humidifier, I want one that I don't have to manually turn on and off when it goes out of range.

MDK

MDK

Im running a levoit humidifier it's pretty dope got wifi and an app I can control from anywhere...does the ac infinity have wifi?

Levoit humidifier, does good in 5x5

running a Vellgoo dehumidifier ...wanted one with a drain hose and after doing some reading it seemed like the recommendation was a dehumidifier that was strong enough to pull out all the water you would put in the grow space during a watering....so I figured 6 plants peaking around 5 or 6 gallons per watering or around 50 pints. I needed something decent so I went up in the wallet....$300 but I caught it for $200

MDK

MDK

Do the Cooler A/C. The cooler will keep your frozen gallon cold longer. Red Green would.

Any chance you can have your dehu located outside the tent?

Does it get cold enough that you need a heater?
Heater isn't being used...it was for winter been lazy tho

My lung room is a big basement...idk....may get tough trying to pull all that moisture? I could try it and see what it does

Water jug didn't work so hot yea Styrofoam cooler or old igloo is probably better bet

Last edited:
Top Bottom