Reds & Ir Inducing Plant Sleep

• Thread starter Junk
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
3N1GM4

3N1GM4

If I could afford one I would try one of those 200$ ones I posted a link to but chances are my side by side would be jerry rigged somehow or a diy. I might look up how much the board and 730nm superbright leds would be, I already have the resistors.

Junk

Junk

What if you ran supplemental lighting instead of swapping out a current setup or replacing bulbs? @Junk a side by side would intrest this garden guy alot

I ALWAYS run supplemental/side lighting. We have talked a bit, so you've seen a little how my mind works. Growing inside allows us several advantages, the main one being light manipulation. & light is the #1 factor in the plant quality, growth, whatever.

If you are not blasting your plants with light, from every angle, in my opinion, it's a waste. I pick off the larf before flower, & as I go, but not nearly what other people pull off. I get nice hard nugs all the way down the plants. It increases yeild by about 5%. We can give the plant MORE light than the sun, at more angles. This is why I run Co2, it's another thing that we can alter by growing indoors. I have all that light, if the plants want to use it, we need more co2. I get bigger yields, & better quality meds when I grow hydro...so I do that too. If I could give my plants PED's, I would. If ME being on PED's would help, I would do it. I give the plants PDA's & talk to them, just because I think it helps.

I use every advantage an inside grower has at his disposal to maximize the plants. This round it appears I'll pull 1.5 g per watt...but I can far better I think. I think I could pull 2.5. The next round will be very pretty.

Tons of light from above, side lighting, reflective walls, co2. These are all advantages of the Indo growers. & I will use any advantage I can get.

Not to beat a dead horse, but if that other site did not delete EVERYTHING I had ever posted there, you would have enough side by sides to read for days :(

Know what I might do for the next round...pick up one of the $25 Mh bulbs @Tnelz uses & do two bays. One with the Hortilux Blue, one with the Home Depot. & maybe use the IR one....I dunno, is there a way to incorporate the IR into the test without doing 3 bays? I can't think of one.

This is not to try to show Tnelz up. i <3 Tnelz :) I like the Blue, but it costs more than a college loan. I want to know how the Blue stacks up agains a bulb that costs 10x less. So, it's not to pick on anyone, it's to convince myself that I'm not getting ripped off!

Last edited:
Tnelz

Tnelz

I ALWAYS run supplemental/side lighting. We have talked a bit, so you've seen a little how my mind works. Growing inside allows us several advantages, the main one being light manipulation. & light is the #1 factor in the plant quality, growth, whatever.

If you are not blasting your plants with light, from every angle, in my opinion, it's a waste. I pick off the larf before flower, & as I go, but not nearly what other people pull off. I get nice hard nugs all the way down the plants. It increases yeild by about 5%. We can give the plant MORE light than the sun, at more angles. This is why I run Co2, it's another thing that we can alter by growing indoors. I have all that light, if the plants want to use it, we need more co2. I get bigger yields, & better quality meds when I grow hydro...so I do that too. If I could give my plants PED's, I would. If ME being on PED's would help, I would do it. I give the plants PDA's & talk to them, just because I think it helps.

I use every advantage an inside grower has at his disposal to maximize the plants. This round it appears I'll pull 1.5 g per watt...but I can far better I think. I think I could pull 2.5. The next round will be very pretty.

Tons of light from above, side lighting, reflective walls, co2. These are all advantages of the Indo growers. & I will use any advantage I can get.

Not to beat a dead horse, but if that other site did not delete EVERYTHING I had ever posted there, you would have enough side by sides to read for days :(

Know what I might do for the next round...pick up one of the $25 Mh bulbs @Tnelz uses & do two bays. One with the Hortilux Blue, one with the Home Depot. & maybe use the IR one....I dunno, is there a way to incorporate the IR into the test without doing 3 bays? I can't think of one.

This is not to try to show Tnelz up. i <3 Tnelz :) I like the Blue, but it costs more than a college loan. I want to know how the Blue stacks up agains a bulb that costs 10x less. So, it's not to pick on anyone, it's to convince myself that I'm not getting ripped off!
So I'd say this. A horti blue will demolish what I get from my mh bulb. Far better technology. In saying that the difference in what either can do in veg is minimal. The horti will cover a far larger spectrum so over all plant health and happiness will equal better results. But barely anything noticeable. So from a standpoint of what plant would be happier there is no question but what the plant can show you will be minimal imo. So when comparing veg lights it's difficult imo. My t5 do every bit as good as my mh and my cheap ass led panels crush the mh. Not even close. So that's why I stand firmly behind a cheap mh if all your going to do is veg with it. Hope this is clear sometimes I can muddy the waters.lol

mittenmedgrow

mittenmedgrow

No experience with ir or led but I do have lots of experience vegging under 8 bulb t5 , 1000 watt metal halides and 1000 watt hps. I always ran the horti blues for years and awhile back I bought a 2 cheap bulbs for the 1000mh changed 2 of the 8 8 lights in the veg room to the new bulbs and the other 6 to new hortilux within 24 hrs the plants under the cheap bulb started shriveling and curling down away from the light. Looked like some sort of lumen shock, within 48 hours I swithced the bulbs to new horti blues but the damage was already done, it took almost two weeks to come back to healthy new vigorous growth. I dont necessarily think that the bulbs were bad but maybe the spectrum was so different thta after years of hortilux blues the plants didnt like the sudden change. I get a similar reaction but no where near as severe when going from t5s to gavita if I dont run them at low wattage. I dont get any funny reactions going from the t5 to the hotilux 1000 hps room at full power and the rooms are mirror images of each other same strains, same equipment the only difference is the lights. Now I clone under t5, veg under 1000 watt hoti hps and flower in different rooms with gavita and horti 1000hps seperately. I havent tried flowering or vegging in a mixed room of gavita and horilux. I also have tried vegging and flowering with a mix of 1000 hps and 1000 mh hortilux bulbs, ran that way for a awhile then after about 5 years playing with the horti blue 1000 mh I dropped them and havent ran any mh in years.

Owlfarm

Owlfarm

I bought a far red led light and set it up on a light mover on a timer in my greenhouse last summer. I had it come on for about a half hour at sunset after the solstice for a month or two. It did nothing to decrease my flower time. Ed Rosenthal wrote an article about the potential of this method allowing growers to harvest outdoor or greenhouse herb earlier in the year, but it sure didn't work for me. I talked to Ed at a convention and he thought maybe more powerful far red lights needed to be used.

Top Bottom