remove all leaves?

• Thread starter Greenthumb4
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
G

Greenthumb4

hi I've noticed and seen quite a few people remove all of their fan leaves a couple weeks into flowering is this something that is necessary for me if I'm trying to exceed the maximum light coverage?

Pisces

Pisces

Just remove what is necessary….Leave the rest.

When pruning lower branches, remove the branch but leave the leaf.

sixstring

sixstring

When I talked to my plant today she said leaf me alone
20140419 113702

and then this one screamed, ME TOO :o
20140419 113616

just playin with my phone cam :)
last pic is @xX Kid Twist Xx bully on about day 4

RandyPickles

RandyPickles

hi I've noticed and seen quite a few people remove all of their fan leaves a couple weeks into flowering is this something that is necessary for me if I'm trying to exceed the maximum light coverage?

Hi bud,

The reason you have that impression is that in tents you generally want to focus on the canopy. If we have a 5x5 space, vegging the plants until they form a solid sea of green will ensure that (if done correctly) you end up with a 5x5 area, with one to two feet of bud throughout. In these SOG or SCROG (screen of green) setups, you can grow multiple strains together and keep pruning the undergrowth as only the canopy receives light. If you were to grow two monster bushes in that same area, you could potentially yield more, but it depends on plant shape. Imagine the light being a blanket over the tops of the plants. Anywhere the blanket touches is going to receive direct light. Buds will still form throughout the plant, but they will be smaller and known as "popcorn buds".

So in short, if you're doing a SCROG setup, it makes sense to prune the bottom of the plant and "lollipop" it. Otherwise I generally leave my girls natural. One exception is my Blue Velvet which has been stacking leaves like crazy but is only half the height of it's Blueberry cousins. So I cleaned out some bottom foliage hoping to get it to grow vertically a bit. I could raise the lights, but I don't want to miss out on the benefit of having an oppressive light overhead. Hope all this helps!

Tnelz

Tnelz

Hi bud,

The reason you have that impression is that in tents you generally want to focus on the canopy. If we have a 5x5 space, vegging the plants until they form a solid sea of green will ensure that (if done correctly) you end up with a 5x5 area, with one to two feet of bud throughout. In these SOG or SCROG (screen of green) setups, you can grow multiple strains together and keep pruning the undergrowth as only the canopy receives light. If you were to grow two monster bushes in that same area, you could potentially yield more, but it depends on plant shape. Imagine the light being a blanket over the tops of the plants. Anywhere the blanket touches is going to receive direct light. Buds will still form throughout the plant, but they will be smaller and known as "popcorn buds".

So in short, if you're doing a SCROG setup, it makes sense to prune the bottom of the plant and "lollipop" it. Otherwise I generally leave my girls natural. One exception is my Blue Velvet which has been stacking leaves like crazy but is only half the height of it's Blueberry cousins. So I cleaned out some bottom foliage hoping to get it to grow vertically a bit. I could raise the lights, but I don't want to miss out on the benefit of having an oppressive light overhead. Hope all this helps!
Solid info brother! Much respect!

Tmb

justanotherbozo

justanotherbozo

...Greenthumb, do a Google for 'defoliation for yield', and similar search terms and you will find much information on the technique. ...it works but it is an advanced technique best suited to growers with several harvests under their belt and not for new people who might overdo it.

...there are many who are vehemently against this technique so be prepared for many who will tell you 'don't do it, it can't work' so if you decide to dabble, be ready to deal with some negativity coming your way.

...and move slowly until you gain some experience in how your plants will react with your judicious pruning, it's easy to take a leaf off but it's a real bitch trying to put one back on.

good luck, bozo

G

Greenthumb4

Thanks ive done a few and each time I have been using a different regiment to try to increase my results I asked this question based on one guy off the internet who had it done knowledge is key and I have a lot of reading to do can always learn more...

20140423 171620
RandyPickles

RandyPickles

...Greenthumb, do a Google for 'defoliation for yield', and similar search terms and you will find much information on the technique. ...it works but it is an advanced technique best suited to growers with several harvests under their belt and not for new people who might overdo it.

...there are many who are vehemently against this technique so be prepared for many who will tell you 'don't do it, it can't work' so if you decide to dabble, be ready to deal with some negativity coming your way.

...and move slowly until you gain some experience in how your plants will react with your judicious pruning, it's easy to take a leaf off but it's a real bitch trying to put one back on.

good luck, bozo
Bozo brings up a great point! Not all strains will be ok with you pruning them. Some depend on being able to assume their natural state and will stall out or die on you. Usually in the breeder's notes, you can find this info. Good luck!

SpiderK

SpiderK

if your removing leaves for proper light coverage down low your room is built wrong or your not using the space correctly. all 4 sizes, lights, air flow, oxygen / roots, cubic feet should be worried about and planned for..

outdoors, ever notice new spring growth under three inches of oak leaves ... ? some outdoor buds never see light under all the fans. the plant needs all of them.

SpiderK

SpiderK

this buddhas on moonshine was covered in huge fan leaves. these buds along the middle never seen the sun direct and this is outdoor .... not dialed indoor / 1500 co2 ect ...

Bom
Bom1
Bom3

Last edited:
justanotherbozo

justanotherbozo

...yeah, de-foliation is more about stimulting new growth through judicious pruning and less about light penetration, kinda like what happens when you top a plant.

...but, as has already been said, not all variety's take kindly to this sort of treatment so each grower who would attempt to de-foliate for increased yields should go slowly with each new strain until the plants show you whether or not they like it.

...there is MUCH documentation on the efficacy of this technique for any willing to search for it.

peace, bozo

SpiderK

SpiderK

...yeah, de-foliation is more about stimulting new growth through judicious pruning and less about light penetration, kinda like what happens when you top a plant.

...but, as has already been said, not all variety's take kindly to this sort of treatment so each grower who would attempt to de-foliate for increased yields should go slowly with each new strain until the plants show you whether or not they like it.

...there is MUCH documentation on the efficacy of this technique for any willing to search for it.

peace, bozo

but ..... its a work around.

if the room is dialed none of thats needed. i understand trimming off lil popcorn buds along the bottom focusing more growth but i never had that issue outdoor. all the buds up top are great and the bottom half also. if your opening up a plant cuz its bushy maybe they are too close in the first place.?? spacing or if your worried about production another strain you can keep tighter or sog. many different mistakes can cause issues once flower starts with a packed room and now air flow between plants or oxygen in the root zone. but taking the production engine from a plant is not smart IMO

a dialed room with proper airflow would not need any major plant deconstruct. so in my eyes its the growers fault ....

justanotherbozo

justanotherbozo

...hence the philosophical divide, ...my grobro and closest friend is in your camp.

peace, bozo

Latest posts

Top Bottom