Replacing air stones with waterfalls in RDWC

• Thread starter ttystikk
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
M

mrsgreenbuds

yes, plan was to use one in each 65lt container.
Will let you know how it goes.

Last edited:
ttystikk

ttystikk

I bought these for my 12 site.

Running 1inch with a 1000glphr, hooking it all up this week..

That will add some DO (dissolved oxygen) to your water, but it's probably at or very nearly saturated anyway. These won't add velocity, and in fact will cost a small amount of flow rate to do their thing.

I've found anything fancy to be unnecessary thus far, my only 'nozzle' being the 1/2" elbow fitting stuck through a hole drilled in the lid of my tuffbox. Roots are white, plants are happy, airpump is outta there!

M

mrsgreenbuds

That was the idea... Hopefully not to much as you say, either way should be good seeing the effect..

ttystikk

ttystikk

That was the idea... Hopefully not to much as you say, either way should be good seeing the effect..

I think these would work best if there's just one in your whole waterline, just downstream of the pump. That way, the extra DO gets to every site with minimum flow restriction- and cost.

M

mrsgreenbuds

Yea, your prob right. I wanted to get the bubbling/splashing effect that your after as well.. "i prob went a bit overboard trying to achieve this"
Once its all going ill try get some pics or a vid up for everyone to have a look and make there own assessment.

ttystikk

ttystikk

Yea, your prob right. I wanted to get the bubbling/splashing effect that your after as well.. "i prob went a bit overboard trying to achieve this"
Once its all going ill try get some pics or a vid up for everyone to have a look and make there own assessment.

And as always, the plants themselves will have the final say...

L

larebowm

Pics video oh yeah..

Theoneandonly Z

Theoneandonly Z

Thanks for the inspiration @ttystikk really excited to see how this little system runs w/no airstones
IMG 20131219 164246 183

IMG 20131219 164304 377

I plan on adding another inline valve in the control bucket to shut off the feed to the 2 zones. I also plan on adding some sort of fitting to each feed line to be able to direct the water in a certain angle(s).

ttystikk

ttystikk

Thanks for the inspiration @ttystikk really excited to see how this little system runs w/no airstones
View attachment 360356
View attachment 360357

I plan on adding another inline valve in the control bucket to shut off the feed to the 2 zones. I also plan on adding some sort of fitting to each feed line to be able to direct the water in a certain angle(s).

I aimed my waterflow directly at the surface of the water inn the tub, yours looks like it's hitting the side of the bucket. IDK if it makes much difference.

Theoneandonly Z

Theoneandonly Z

I aimed my waterflow directly at the surface of the water inn the tub, yours looks like it's hitting the side of the bucket. IDK if it makes much difference.

Im with you on that, I plan on adding a 3/4" elbow aimed directly at the water. i just havent made it to the hardware store... This elbow will slip right into my tub outlet

Theoneandonly Z

Theoneandonly Z

That should do 'er then. I've noticed that the more distance there is between nozzle and water surface, the better it works.
same here - my control bucket im using in that picture was actually designed as a zone for a plant. but i drilled the outlet almost 3"s down the bucket - just past the ridges of the bucket. I didnt like the distance between water surface and outlet. So i found these other buckets that had less ridges on the outside and i was able to put my water inlet about 3/4" below bucket height which is working out tits. I also designed a system with the water outlet coming down from the lid (like a top feed) but i ran into accessibility issues - i think that design will work better with 10-15 gal totes.

ttystikk

ttystikk

same here - my control bucket im using in that picture was actually designed as a zone for a plant. but i drilled the outlet almost 3"s down the bucket - just past the ridges of the bucket. I didnt like the distance between water surface and outlet. So i found these other buckets that had less ridges on the outside and i was able to put my water inlet about 3/4" below bucket height which is working out tits. I also designed a system with the water outlet coming down from the lid (like a top feed) but i ran into accessibility issues - i think that design will work better with 10-15 gal totes.

I didn't even try it on less than a 27 gallon tub, so you've just done my homework for me!

L

larebowm

what about something like a simple household faucet aerator..it wouldnt reduce flow and look what it does for the kitchen sink.

J

Jalisco Kid

View attachment 360356
View attachment 360357

With your sys that small I would keep your pump around. Once roots hit your bottom bucket there is not going to be much splashing around. That and the water design you have there will not much time for water/air contact. If you saw my tanks you would know I lean the other way. JK

ttystikk

ttystikk

With your sys that small I would keep your pump around. Once roots hit your bottom bucket there is not going to be much splashing around. That and the water design you have there will not much time for water/air contact. If you saw my tanks you would know I lean the other way. JK

He's got a point here. My waterfall splashes down in the middle of a 27 gallon tub, and the roots drop into the water well away from the splash.

OTOH, the roots grow around the place where the splash hits the water and not right in it, so I think they get pushed out of the way by the falling water.

One more point, which is that roots jump out of my netpot on the side of the splash but not on the opposite side. Clearly some room for improvement there.

Theoneandonly Z

Theoneandonly Z

Right, i figured this would possibly become an issue. I have ran RDWC systems before, but none with the waterfall effect. So this little system is basically a "concept". I dont plan on running big plants in these 5 gals. Im also a big pepper/chili enthusiast and i will most likely be running these plants in this system. Honestly im hoping i can use a system like this for my mother plants. Not only can I keep them stout and bushy, but i will prune the roots as well.

Ive also thought of designing a "netting" that creates a bag for my roots to fall into and become contained. I thought of using silk screening material for this. I'm not sure how practical this method is, i feel like it might create more problems than solve. but i figure its worth a try, see what happens...

I would love to see your tanks! I keep hearing wonderful things about them but you have yet to show us these bad boys! I understand your reasoning and wont pry, but my interest is definitely peaked!

thanks for your input
Z

Top Bottom