Reservoir Sizing

• Thread starter legaleyes13
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
legaleyes13

legaleyes13

Experimenting with coco, and I need to size a DTW res that will last me 3 days for 42 3 gallon smart pots at 80/20 coco to rice hulls, under 4k DE. Auto water, aiming for about 10% run off.

Thanks in advance.

Mr.Xagain

Mr.Xagain

Experimenting with coco, and I need to size a DTW res that will last me 3 days for 42 3 gallon smart pots at 80/20 coco to rice hulls, under 4k DE. Auto water, aiming for about 10% run off.

Thanks in advance.
I think a 50gl rez should suffice. You could always set up a float valve that if the rez fills up to a certain level it will shut off the water. But @ 10% runoff every 3 days shouldn't be a problem with a 50gl rez.

legaleyes13

legaleyes13

@Mr.Xagain I forgot to add that I intend to feed up to 4-5 times a day during peak flowering. You still think 50 should be fine? And I'll be filling the rez manually so I won't need a float valve or anything. Thanks for the idea though.

Mr.Xagain

Mr.Xagain

@Mr.Xagain I forgot to add that I intend to feed up to 4-5 times a day during peak flowering. You still think 50 should be fine? And I'll be filling the rez manually so I won't need a float valve or anything. Thanks for the idea though.
Manually? So why the 3 day mark ? Get a wet/dry vacuum water them normally. If you can reach each plant individually just place them in 15" saucers and vacuum the runoff individually. If you cant get to all of them easily then get a submersible pump to drain the rez as it fills.

legaleyes13

legaleyes13

Manually? So why the 3 day mark ? Get a wet/dry vacuum water them normally. If you can reach each plant individually just place them in 15" saucers and vacuum the runoff individually. If you cant get to all of them easily then get a submersible pump to drain the rez as it fills.
3 days because I run OSA28 (silica) and at around 3 days in the rez it becomes less available to the plants, so I might as well just mix a new batch every 3 days.

As far as vacuuming the runoff, I won't be able reach each plant easily when they get larger. I figured I'd just have a layer of clay pellets at the bottom of each smart pot and let the run off linger in the saucer.

Savage Henry

Savage Henry

As far as vacuuming the runoff, I won't be able reach each plant easily when they get larger. I figured I'd just have a layer of clay pellets at the bottom of each smart pot and let the run off linger in the saucer.

They'll wick the runoff out of the trays and drink it, negating the purpose of the runoff and leading to salt buildup. At least that's what happened when I ran mine like that. The runoff needs to get away from the pots and go down a drain or elsewhere.

Mr.Xagain

Mr.Xagain

3 days because I run OSA28 (silica) and at around 3 days in the rez it becomes less available to the plants, so I might as well just mix a new batch every 3 days.

NO !!! Unless you really put an ample amount of pebbles is a lot. Your gonna get toxic salt buildup and even if the medium doesn't stay submerged, the evaporation will translate to humidity wich will most likely lead to mold during flowering.

Mr.Xagain

Mr.Xagain

I think your best bet is to build a small table to hold a trray. Put it at an ever so slight angle and put a drain on the tray so the runoff will acumulate there for later disposal.

legaleyes13

legaleyes13

Trays aren't an option. Running DE's, plants need to be on the floor. I might just put some sort of grate over the saucers to keep the plants from wicking the runoff, or I may not go with saucers at all, put the pots on some sort of grate and let the runoff hit the floor. I'm not worried about the water adding to the humidity. That's an easy fix.

And I'm running drip clean too. Hopefully that helps with any salt build up issues.

Last edited:
legaleyes13

legaleyes13

Just for the record. I was initially talking about sizing a reservoir for feed. Just now realized the confusion going on in this thread... but yeah. I'll have to figure out how to get rid of the runoff now too

NickTheGreek

NickTheGreek

i would recommend a little bigger than 50 i make my water every day for 2 feeding in coco and for one day i go threw about 15-20 gal. play it safe brother coco sucks it up water

legaleyes13

legaleyes13

i would recommend a little bigger than 50 i make my water every day for 2 feeding in coco and for one day i go threw about 15-20 gal. play it safe brother coco sucks it up water
How many plants are you watering?

MidwestToker

MidwestToker

My 9 liter pots of coir takes around 1/2 gallon of water per day during peak flowering. So with 42 at their peak that could be up to 21 gallons a day. And you don't need run-off with every watering if you're not pushing you're nute levels to high. I just make sure I have a 10-15% run-off once a week . Daily feedings in the 450-600 ppm range. (Strain dependent)

DSCN0669
MidwestToker

MidwestToker

Sorry, should of added from experience that smart pot can add up to 20% more water usage than traditional pots.

Top Bottom