Reuse Coco Or Go Back To Soil

• Thread starter Ronnie88
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
R

Ronnie88

My first coco grow is coming to an end. It was an experience. My next one I'm thinking of doing half promix and quarter perlite and the other quarter reuse my coco.

Is this a good environment for bennies to flourish? Been reading a few people are going back to soil for this purpose. Anyone here reuse coco, will some of the bennies carry on?

Funkstarfish

Funkstarfish

My first coco grow is coming to an end. It was an experience. My next one I'm thinking of doing half promix and quarter perlite and the other quarter reuse my coco.

Is this a good environment for bennies to flourish? Been reading a few people are going back to soil for this purpose. Anyone here reuse coco, will some of the bennies carry on?

I'm gonna try this and have read folks have success with this method. I'm gonna use the 3 bennies and maybe some bokashi. adding an enzyme may also help? time will tell. Interested to hear everyones input.

have a good day

Starfish

mastacheeser

mastacheeser

Sounds good to me. Make sure you get the roots out of your coco and hit it with hygrozyme or something similar

Also remember coco will hold a lot of water so go heavy on the pearlite

Lowman

Lowman

You don't need to change your medium at all. Just reuse your current coco. adding a bit of fresh coco wouldn't hurt though. Don't wash or rinse the coco before reusing either. You could run a nice 1.2 EC solution through in case the coco is holding on to too much food. It is already buffered and ready to go from your current grow. I would just take a knife (drywall knife works good) and cut around the base of the plant...then stick your new plant in the hole...fill with fresh coco...and feed as usual. The coco you are using now is alive and ready to go.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Why get the roots out if you're both reusing it *and* trying to maintain the cultures of beneficials you just grew? Mycorrhiza grow in the presence of live roots, so keeping roots in there keeps that culture growing. They take weeks, months even, to really get going, so again, another reason to leave roots. Finally, there's a lot of nutrition probably left in them, if nothing else they'd provide organic matter. I always leave the roots in the media and just chop it up if needed, otherwise we go on our merry way.

Reuse!

surfguitar

surfguitar

I'm sure you'll get a wide variety of opinions but here's my 2 cents.

Coco is an ok medium but if you're looking to create a medium with a highly biodiverse population of beneficial organisms do yourself a favor and make a true living organic soil and no till it. Out of every grow method I've tried nothing compares to the ease and simplicity of organically amended soil, it's like magic compared to every other grow method I've tried.

Also for everyone recommending eznymes like hydrozym, do yourself a huge flavor and go research sprouted seed teas. Put's hydrozym to shame for 100th of the price.

Top Bottom