Rockwool GooRoo's needed!

• Thread starter HappyTrailz
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
HappyTrailz

HappyTrailz

What up farmers! I have recently started some new clones. I use 6"hugo's and the last few runs after putting them under my 1k i get twisted stunted leaf growth? Keep in mind i soak for 24hrs 5.5 PH then flush with RO. Clones are nice and green, however once i move them to the HID light i get this pale twisted stunted problem.
After a few weeks they seem to come around, but i feel like either i'm over watering or the light is too strong. I keep the light about 6 feet away for at the first week. I'm not sure if the new strains are too sensitive or what?
I'm using GH 3ml per gal and only water when the cubes start to get a lil dry. Room conditions are pretty good 74-77 for temp, and 30-35%RH have intake/exhaust running. I'll provide a pic of these kids, and also some of the finished product from the last run which i had the exact same thing happen. I've been using rockwool for years and i'm pretty familiar with this stuff. Just seems a lil weird and would like to prevent this from happening again. Thanks my brothers!

Oh another thought i had is these are dark heart clones, they claim you can feed full strength and put directly under the HID light? I still only feed about half strength though

Picture 003
Picture 001
Picture 002
HappyTrailz

HappyTrailz

What up farmers! I have recently started some new clones. I use 6"hugo's and the last few runs after putting them under my 1k i get twisted stunted leaf growth? Keep in mind i soak for 24hrs 5.5 PH then flush with RO. Clones are nice and green, however once i move them to the HID light i get this pale twisted stunted problem.
After a few weeks they seem to come around, but i feel like either i'm over watering or the light is too strong. I keep the light about 6 feet away for at the first week. I'm not sure if the new strains are too sensitive or what?
I'm using GH 3ml per gal and only water when the cubes start to get a lil dry. Room conditions are pretty good 74-77 for temp, and 30-35%RH have intake/exhaust running. I'll provide a pic of these kids, and also some of the finished product from the last run which i had the exact same thing happen. I've been using rockwool for years and i'm pretty familiar with this stuff. Just seems a lil weird and would like to prevent this from happening again. Thanks my brothers!

Oh another thought i had is these are dark heart clones, they claim you can feed full strength and put directly under the HID light? I still only feed about half strength though
I'm gonna say it's over watering. I just realized that with my past grows i started the blocks on top on mini croutons. This would wick the air/water from the top block. Keeping it a lot dryer, i was assuming the grid i placed under the blocks would help it drain better. I won't be watering for a few days and hope they recover. Anybody else have any suggestions please chime in!

sky high

sky high

Not a guru...fo' sho..... but I have been frustrated by Rockwool a few times and will pass along some info I've shared before that I heard directly from a Grodan rep about 10 years ago @ a hydro conference that might help/be worth trying (?)....as well as an idea I had...

My idea.... have you tried transplanting to the HUGO cube and then leaving them under a floro rather than slamming them in with the 1K? This might show you if >light< has anything to do with what you are seeing.

The Grodan rep told me that flushing through the cubes >well< with plain tap water under the tap >before< soaking them in the 5.5 will end all pH rises/fluctuations. (She said to flush them...but to not squeeze/etc them...just run the water through each one for a long time). Dunno why the fuckers never put this info in their instructions...but evidently they use limestone in the manufacturing process of the RW and if you do not flush it out and merely soak in 5.5...the pH never truly stabilizes @ 5.5 and the limestone dust causes it to rise/causes folks to use more pH down/etc and further stress their plants. Do you notice a rise in pH in your grows initially when this wanky/twisted growth is happening? (or at all?)

hope ya figure it out/hope that helps in some way.....

HappyTrailz

HappyTrailz

Not a guru...fo' sho..... but I have been frustrated by Rockwool a few times and will pass along some info I've shared before that I heard directly from a Grodan rep about 10 years ago @ a hydro conference that might help/be worth trying (?)....as well as an idea I had...

My idea.... have you tried transplanting to the HUGO cube and then leaving them under a floro rather than slamming them in with the 1K? This might show you if >light< has anything to do with what you are seeing.

The Grodan rep told me that flushing through the cubes >well< with plain tap water under the tap >before< soaking them in the 5.5 will end all pH rises/fluctuations. (She said to flush them...but to not squeeze/etc them...just run the water through each one for a long time). Dunno why the fuckers never put this info in their instructions...but evidently they use limestone in the manufacturing process of the RW and if you do not flush it out and merely soak in 5.5...the pH never truly stabilizes @ 5.5 and the limestone dust causes it to rise/causes folks to use more pH down/etc and further stress their plants. Do you notice a rise in pH in your grows initially when this wanky/twisted growth is happening? (or at all?)

hope ya figure it out/hope that helps in some way.....
Thanks for chiming in! I don't have floro's... I always soak for 24hrs ph 5.5, rinse and then recharge. I believe my problem is that i didn't start the big blocks sitting on top of the croutons like in the past . I was gonna run flood and drain with just the 6". I'm now leaning towards getting some croutons and getting back to the basics. This is how I've been doing it for years with great results. I'm going to let em dry out for a few days. If i don't like what i see i will add the croutons. I'm also hand watering right now so the ph is solid. When i start to recirculate i add some Protekt silica and that shit keeps my ph on point! I'll post something in a few days.

thetreegrowerrr

thetreegrowerrr

Rockwell guy here to answer your question. You need to do more then just soak at 5.5. I don't soak I flush the blocks on the table then re adjust ph in the res. I do this over a course of 1 day. I then dump the res re doing the same method for one day. Then on the 3rd day I plant add weak base and some zyme to break up any existing carbon. Everyone's method is different that's mine. I used to grow in blocks for years then switched to cubes or granular both work great and are way cheaper. Also when they go in the big room. If your using co2 keep it at 500ppm don't turn all your 1ks on just 1 or 2 turning on another around the room on each day or every other day. I run 15 lights so I turn on 4 lights around the room. Leave it like that for a week until growth begins and then kick another on everyday. My lights are on the ceiling. Another thing too is your room is dry. Get that humidity up to 60% to 70% for veg. You have a little of both in that picture from past expierences. Not too good of flushed rock wool and dry stress which causes leaves to twist. The retard growth though is from the carbon in the rock wool. Zyme does a great job at getting rid of this. Your growth and plants will jump out of it but it takes a week until that rock wool is flushed nice and balanced. But to avoid this from the jump rinse the hell out of the rock wool until the ph is very stable.

HappyTrailz

HappyTrailz

Rockwell guy here to answer your question. You need to do more then just soak at 5.5. I don't soak I flush the blocks on the table then re adjust ph in the res. I do this over a course of 1 day. I then dump the res re doing the same method for one day. Then on the 3rd day I plant add weak base and some zyme to break up any existing carbon. Everyone's method is different that's mine. I used to grow in blocks for years then switched to cubes or granular both work great and are way cheaper. Also when they go in the big room. If your using co2 keep it at 500ppm don't turn all your 1ks on just 1 or 2 turning on another around the room on each day or every other day. I run 15 lights so I turn on 4 lights around the room. Leave it like that for a week until growth begins and then kick another on everyday. My lights are on the ceiling. Another thing too is your room is dry. Get that humidity up to 60% to 70% for veg. You have a little of both in that picture from past expierences. Not too good of flushed rock wool and dry stress which causes leaves to twist. The retard growth though is from the carbon in the rock wool. Zyme does a great job at getting rid of this. Your growth and plants will jump out of it but it takes a week until that rock wool is flushed nice and balanced. But to avoid this from the jump rinse the hell out of the rock wool until the ph is very stable.
This makes a lot of sense. I'm just a closet grower for the most part. What Zyme product do you use and what dosage? Also will it work with my GH nutes, protekt, and H202? I'll try to get my RH up. I will have to flush with cuts in the blocks. I'm guessing that's why they stalled out before but I was always feeding 1x per day. I've only watered a couple times in the last week. So like you said FLUSH!! When you used blocks, how were you feeding? Top or F&D? Thanks for reply!

mastacheeser

mastacheeser

Until they get well rooted in those bigger blocks I just water manually when the biggest plant is almost all the way dry

Once they get well rooted you can do 1+ per day

HappyTrailz

HappyTrailz

3 weeks and zero growth?? I have no clue wtf is going on? Only thing I did different is dunk the kids in AVID, and eagle 20. I pulled apart a block to look at the roots and have only grew down about one inch! Could the avid/eagle be the cause of this? If anybody can help please chime in. I'm about to toss these out. 3 weeks running all the fans, lights etc... waste of money..sigh

HappyTrailz

HappyTrailz

I just looked at another block sitting on top of the croutons and it's got a bunch of roots coming out... oops, I prolly just shocked they hell out of it. All others still not showing.

mastacheeser

mastacheeser

The pics you put up look generally healthy, that's kinda why I'm stumped. Are water temps OK? Its been getting kinda chilly

HappyTrailz

HappyTrailz

yeah 68 res...75 room.. I was hoping the croutons would wick from the big blocks, ,which seems like they are. I'm able to feed 2-3 times a day as the big blocks are really light now. Maybe I need a little more time after they've been suffocating for a couple weeks. I was shocked after seeing the first one I pulled apart with basically not roots. Something needs to happen soon though... usually by 3rd week i'm flipping.

mastacheeser

mastacheeser

You said 30-35 in your orginal post. 55 is maybe a smidge away from perfect but not low enough to cause problems

HappyTrailz

HappyTrailz

Yes and somebody suggested I bring it up. So my bad for not stating that. Current conditions are RH55 Rm temp75, res 68.... ph 5.7-6.0
Not saying rh wasn't a factor but I have had no issues before with low RH.

GR33NL3AF

GR33NL3AF

Every strain is different...

I transplanted some OGs that did nothing for 10 days, 1 or 2 came close to death. I raised my temps from 75F to 82F and RH from 45% to 60-65%.

Now, 2-3 inches of new, lush, green growth in 4 days.

HappyTrailz

HappyTrailz

Every strain is different...

I transplanted some OGs that did nothing for 10 days, 1 or 2 came close to death. I raised my temps from 75F to 82F and RH from 45% to 60-65%.

Now, 2-3 inches of new, lush, green growth in 4 days.
kool, I'll turn off the exhaust and up the rh... Even the one block with roots showing is still ugly looking. You using rockwool?

GR33NL3AF

GR33NL3AF

Have for years but the plants I spoke of were in coco.

What strain are you running?

Think about when you're trying to get cuts to root, and fill out a plug...

Latest posts

Top Bottom