RockWool Problems Just Wasting Seeds

• Thread starter M60gunner
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
M

M60gunner

I am going nuts, already crazy. I have tried rockwool in my germinating station with no success. I soaked the cubes in 5.5ph distilled water first try seeds died. Second try soaked in 5.5ph with 2ml to one gallon of voodoo juice turned brown and died. Third try soaking again and adding nutrients no luck. So far I killed off 9 seedlings.
I am giving up on rockwool and just ordered coco coir seed starting cubes and a brick of rockwool. I have had no problems germinating in Fox Farm special soil and ready to harvest 6 plants from soil in 5-gallon fabric buckets. I purchased two tents and have a total of 5 hydro units just waiting to prove themselves. Had much success in soil and wanted to try hydro, hope it wasn't a mistake.

2Bad

2Bad

I am going nuts, already crazy. I have tried rockwool in my germinating station with no success. I soaked the cubes in 5.5ph distilled water first try seeds died. Second try soaked in 5.5ph with 2ml to one gallon of voodoo juice turned brown and died. Third try soaking again and adding nutrients no luck. So far I killed off 9 seedlings.
I am giving up on rockwool and just ordered coco coir seed starting cubes and a brick of rockwool. I have had no problems germinating in Fox Farm special soil and ready to harvest 6 plants from soil in 5-gallon fabric buckets. I purchased two tents and have a total of 5 hydro units just waiting to prove themselves. Had much success in soil and wanted to try hydro, hope it wasn't a mistake.
How come you weren't impressed with soil

M

M60gunner

How come you weren't impressed with soil
I am keeping one tent with room for three 5-gallon pots in soil along with my tried-and-true methods but I have another larger tent with a three-bucket hydro set up and wanted to try out the hydro grows to check whether claims are true of larger yields.

RootsRuler

RootsRuler

What brand rockwool are you using? Are you closing up the hole so no light gets in before the seed germinates? Do you have a heating pad you can put under the cubes to warm them up a bit and induce germination?

M

M60gunner

I have a complete germinating station that is complete with lights, heating pad, humidity and temp control. Have had no problems plating seedlings in the small peat pots. I first toss seeds in a room temp glass of water for 24 hrs. then place them in paper towels until tails get stronger then put in Fox Farm Soil. First try with rockwool was adjust ph to 5.5 then place seed in rockwool previously soaked and close hole. Second try was soaking rockwool in 5.5ph combined with 2ml voodoo juice and root hormone. Third try is to mix cal/meg and silica and the 3 base advanced nutrients micro, grow and bloom 2ml each adjust total to 5.5ph mixing slowly and waiting for nuts to settle before adding more. This third try is my test for tomorrow. I also have coco coir seed starter cubes and coco coir 3"pots for a hydro try.

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
just soak in water with or without h2o2, if so around a 8% strength, either way for 10-12 hrs. than just plant in your soil and out into your room.. never fails me, at least so far..
the heating mat should be plug into timer to come on with lights on and off with lights off..
makesure there’s a small amount of airflow..

Buzzzz

Buzzzz

Rockwool can stay too cold for germination,keep the cubes warm,that's likely the issue.

HippiHemuli

HippiHemuli

Only what ive seen myself that too cold rockwool and water stunt them pretty hard and i just soak rockwools under tap water (8ph 0.3ec) and didnt have issues. Do you keep little bit water in box where your rockwools are? You got weird problem 🙂

M

M60gunner

just soak in water with or without h2o2, if so around a 8% strength, either way for 10-12 hrs. than just plant in your soil and out into your room.. never fails me, at least so far..
the heating mat should be plug into timer to come on with lights on and off with lights off..
makesure there’s a small amount of airflow..
I have multiple grows in soil with no problem using germinating station with all the accessories along with it and then transplanted into soil and becomes large bushes. I know all the steps from my grows with no problem, just trying with rockwool.

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
I have multiple grows in soil with no problem using germinating station with all the accessories along with it and then transplanted into soil and becomes large bushes. I know all the steps from my grows with no problem, just trying with rockwool.
ya all that stuff for germination is just a set up for failure and a waste of money..
to me anyways..
all good brother.,

simonkay

simonkay

Can i ask if you use the dome for seeds, ive just popped mine in jiffy pellets but not sure how humid i should be keeping things?

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Can i ask if you use the dome for seeds, ive just popped mine in jiffy pellets but not sure how humid i should be keeping things?
No domes for seedlings usually but if you're in a dry area keeping them in with the vents open won't hurt them for the first 2 weeks but the soil needs to go through a wet dry and if your in a dome it might not do that very well. I keep mine in my veg closet that I'm struggling now to keep at 50% but 4 seedlings I started still did well at 50%....I'd normally like it 65% but my humidifiers won't keep up so I settle on 50

W

Willy.Balls

Use humidity dome. Soak the cubes and shake them individually if you can to remove some water. 70-80% of water capacity is perfect. More air faster growth. Definitely recommend 2.5ppm of hypochlorous acid. Keeps everything clean. Add some nutrients too. At least 500ppm.

Top Bottom