Rockwool to Hydro DWC - time to move?

• Thread starter ispy
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
I

ispy

So

So do you have an RO kit or have you been using store ro water? Have you used any of your tap water thus far? I would avoid it for now for sure, once you can grow great in RO, then you can figure out how to save money and use tap. Im sure I mentioned it, but my kit was 50 bucks, its been almost a year and a half that ive been using it. PPMs are 25 in my 55gallon tote. I need new filters but ill wait till its at 50ppms.
So that strip is what 24hrs later or a little over? If I scroll up I can use that other strip that shows high nitrates for a 24hr mark right? It shows your hardness is practically gone, and your nitrate levels have been used and are low again. PH is staying low, id also need to know your ppms. So to figure out your actual ppms you always top off with water. IM sure its drinking alot. Never check ppms when the res is low, and never check strip data. It all all changes once you top off with water, even if its a gallon of RO a day, which is where your prolly at. Once you get to that point, check the strip and ppms. If this is it, and your at 100ppms right now. Id top off with calmag strait into the pot, mix it, wait until it climbs like 80ppms, should put you a little over 100, that will also increase your nitrate levels. Now you should be at about 180 ppms. Micro up to 350ppms, grow to 420ppm, bloom to 700ppms.
So you have over a week left on them top buds, I say 8 days, but its just so have time to re-evaluate it. I would get multiple opinions other than mine on when you should harvest the top buds if your in a rush. I dont see it happening soon is all, they are pretty though. Again light pen down below is what id worry about. All damaged fan leafs should be gone by the time you partial harvest, and alot of the small inwards ones down below. It all depends how easy it is and how much time you have to defoliate. I dont sometimes and all is well, just tend to be a bit fluffier down low if you dont partial harvest and defoliate.

yes i have had and been using RO for months now. never tap. either RO or distilled.

if i am to consider harvesting in 8 days shouldn't i be backing off of all nutrients?

Cashmeh

Cashmeh

yes i have had and been using RO for months now. never tap. either RO or distilled.

if i am to consider harvesting in 8 days shouldn't i be backing off of all nutrients?
In my experience they stop uptaking when they are done. I actually run higher N values during late flower than I do during veg. Im not sure if its P or K that the plants stop uptaking on their own, but if the leafs are nice and heavy with N, that fade will bring out the colors, red, purple, orange. . now if you give it 0 nitrogen during the end, sure it will help, but all the leafs that were being frosted over will not be crispy and part of the bud. I dont like cutting N at the end. As for P and K, if you cut it, sure it will finish earlier, but it wont look that good. My best looking, most potent and frostiest plant, I was giving it 600ppms until I harvested it. Mid Flower it was up to 1200 though. I noticed the PPMS climbing around week 8 so I just lowered the overall ppms. Now before harvest I do give them like 48 hrs of darkness in that system. Ive heard the sugars are stored down below at night, but idk. Perhaps I should harvest during the light on hours. I just know my weed doenst taste like chemicles, it doesnt taste like airfreshner or that chemicle taste that you get from the potent shit at the dispensary. My shit is smooth, smells strong, always has a unique smell and flavor, just very terpy in my eyes. From what ive been told, its clean when compared to most.

Cashmeh

Cashmeh

In my experience they stop uptaking when they are done. I actually run higher N values during late flower than I do during veg. Im not sure if its P or K that the plants stop uptaking on their own, but if the leafs are nice and heavy with N, that fade will bring out the colors, red, purple, orange. . now if you give it 0 nitrogen during the end, sure it will help, but all the leafs that were being frosted over will not be crispy and part of the bud. I dont like cutting N at the end. As for P and K, if you cut it, sure it will finish earlier, but it wont look that good. My best looking, most potent and frostiest plant, I was giving it 600ppms until I harvested it. Mid Flower it was up to 1200 though. I noticed the PPMS climbing around week 8 so I just lowered the overall ppms. Now before harvest I do give them like 48 hrs of darkness in that system. Ive heard the sugars are stored down below at night, but idk. Perhaps I should harvest during the light on hours. I just know my weed doenst taste like chemicles, it doesnt taste like airfreshner or that chemicle taste that you get from the potent shit at the dispensary. My shit is smooth, smells strong, always has a unique smell and flavor, just very terpy in my eyes. From what ive been told, its clean when compared to most.
I read my shit and wonder how you got so far.
I meant if you give it 0 nitrogen in the end it will help make the plant finish faster. Yet the leafs on that are on the plant will die instead of becoming frosted. You seen those guys who have that huge fanleaf and half of its frosted. . yea they kept the plant healthy during flower so it could frost over.
Guess you have to ask yourself how big of a hurry you are in. At this point, your just ensuring all buds are good, even the lower ones. I use to pull at the 2 month flower mark, but I had to trash lots of my lower popcorn, last time I just waited until my lower popcorn looked good, it actually started turning purple.

I

ispy

haha, you have the gift of telling the story for sure! i have to read it and break em into sections sometimes to process it all. you give a lot of info! i do appreciate it greatly. honestly on this one i am hoping just go get it done without killing it. i am facing some issues at home that are really impeding my ability to pay full attention to it right now which makes it tough. in time it shall pass. so with that said it is my fear i am not able to keep up with it right now and probably want to take the easiest path to the end (i know, i hate saying that). i am really in need of getting back to some kind of RDWC solution or at least a bigger reservoir all while negotiating with my wife. she wants me to be one and done. she thinks govt is gonna come get me and throw me where i don't wanna be. of course i tried to explain the alternative is worse since it involves other people and unknown components

I

ispy

I meant if you give it 0 nitrogen in the end it will help make the plant finish faster. Yet the leafs on that are on the plant will die instead of becoming frosted. You seen those guys who have that huge fanleaf and half of its frosted. . yea they kept the plant healthy during flower so it could frost over.
Guess you have to ask yourself how big of a hurry you are in. At this point, your just ensuring all buds are good, even the lower ones. I use to pull at the 2 month flower mark, but I had to trash lots of my lower popcorn, last time I just waited until my lower popcorn looked good, it actually started turning purple.

Cashmeh

Cashmeh

Looks good, I would cut 90% of those fan leafs off though and string them up so they get somewhat equal light. You just want all the white hairs on those buds to turn red. While waiting, the crystals will slowly harden over and become very frosty. The longer the better, but again, no one has time like that so generally we just do our best. So far, your buds look great, and theres no real leaf damage shown on the lower growth. . A+ grow. . what light did you say you were using again?

Last edited:
I

ispy

Looks good, I would cut 90% of those fan leafs off though and string them up so they get somewhat equal light. You just want all the white hairs on those buds to turn red. While waiting, the crystals will slowly harden over and become very frosty. The longer the better, but again, no one has time like that so generally we just do our best. So far, your buds look great, and theres no real leaf damage shown on the lower grown. . A+ grow. . what light did you say you were using again?
Thanks, will get that in the morning. Lights out for them in a few. HLG 225 is the light. I turned intensity down a couple weeks ago. Also, I noticed I have some gnats in here around it. Need I worry?
It's not like my house having bugs inside, so I have to assume they are here because of the plant?

Cashmeh

Cashmeh

Thanks, will get that in the morning. Lights out for them in a few. HLG 225 is the light. I turned intensity down a couple weeks ago. Also, I noticed I have some gnats in here around it. Need I worry?
It's not like my house having bugs inside, so I have to assume they are here because of the plant?
Nice light, I want one now. But yea I too get some bugs, nothing major.. . ladybugs, boxelder, and some knats, usually dead laying on the floor. Id say clean it well, and you can put your carbon filter on its fan intake instead of exhaust. This way nothing foreign will enter the tent/room. Its how I do it, and I still get some pests in the tents that have low cfm. The tents that I blow up like balloons, never get bugs, doubt theres a correlation. So far, I havent had thripes or spider mites, or any bad pests. Dont tell anyone I said this, but I think its harder to get pests in hydro vs soil. . .. lol oops. .So if you were to have had soil, I think it would have been worse, unless your coco/drip with nutrient water. But yea im sure since were not killing whats in our res, larve could spawn knats, but idk. . to me its not an issue. Before I was growing I had the boxelders and ladybugs. . but yes, thers always like 1 or 2 dead nats in the tent at the end of the grow.
The solution for bugs would be to hepafilter your intake for the entire grow room, and make sure you put something sterile on before entering. Set it up for c02 ya know. . but again, theres a happy medium always. I doubt they spawn out of the water, I mean I guess they could, but I would just think the entire room would attract bugs, since its nature.
Good thing to do is have the transplant system that way your room gets cleaned every 2 months instead of 4. I mean now im curious as to if they are spawning out of the water, I doubt it. . that would suck lol. . but honestly ive left nutrient water in tents for a month with the lid off, just didnt have time to clean it, and still no bugs. . just the usual ones.

I

ispy

Nice light, I want one now. But yea I too get some bugs, nothing major.. . ladybugs, boxelder, and some knats, usually dead laying on the floor. Id say clean it well, and you can put your carbon filter on its fan intake instead of exhaust. This way nothing foreign will enter the tent/room. Its how I do it, and I still get some pests in the tents that have low cfm. The tents that I blow up like balloons, never get bugs, doubt theres a correlation. So far, I havent had thripes or spider mites, or any bad pests. Dont tell anyone I said this, but I think its harder to get pests in hydro vs soil. . .. lol oops. .So if you were to have had soil, I think it would have been worse, unless your coco/drip with nutrient water. But yea im sure since were not killing whats in our res, larve could spawn knats, but idk. . to me its not an issue. Before I was growing I had the boxelders and ladybugs. . but yes, thers always like 1 or 2 dead nats in the tent at the end of the grow.
The solution for bugs would be to hepafilter your intake for the entire grow room, and make sure you put something sterile on before entering. Set it up for c02 ya know. . but again, theres a happy medium always. I doubt they spawn out of the water, I mean I guess they could, but I would just think the entire room would attract bugs, since its nature.
Good thing to do is have the transplant system that way your room gets cleaned every 2 months instead of 4. I mean now im curious as to if they are spawning out of the water, I doubt it. . that would suck lol. . but honestly ive left nutrient water in tents for a month with the lid off, just didnt have time to clean it, and still no bugs. . just the usual ones.

well, i may sell you that light for a song. wife is comin down hard on me.

not pretty but...

Cashmeh

Cashmeh

well, i may sell you that light for a song. wife is comin down hard on me.

not pretty but...

View attachment 1303979
Looks good to me. Id say 7 days just like that and u can move onto the next one.

Hows your smoke smell? Got any close ups under some sunlight? I usually start smoking mine about 7 days after with no cure. I'd be making her smoke it so she realizes you have a green thumb.

I

ispy

Looks good to me. Id say 7 days just like that and u can move onto the next one.

Hows your smoke smell? Got any close ups under some sunlight? I usually start smoking mine about 7 days after with no cure. I'd be making her smoke it so she realizes you have a green thumb.
I am still drying the first cut. Checked this morning and Stems not dry yet - no snap is what I understand. No cure? never heard that before. I am up to try it.

as for the rest, i do live in a state that it is still not kosher and it is treated as possession. she is worried i may get pinched. there is literally no reason to worry about it but she still does.

Cashmeh

Cashmeh

I am still drying the first cut. Checked this morning and Stems not dry yet - no snap is what I understand. No cure? never heard that before. I am up to try it.

as for the rest, i do live in a state that it is still not kosher and it is treated as possession. she is worried i may get pinched. there is literally no reason to worry about it but she still does.
So he posts it online hahaha i bet that made her feel so much better.

My woman is a felon for sales so no issues there for me luckily. She rarly smokes my weed cause she only likes indicas and i dont like indicas, i grow mainly hybrids and sativas. Anyways she smokes alot and i get to sample the dispensaries and so do my buddies. According to them and me, my weed is cleaner. They say its cause its hydro, i just take the compliments. So even with no cure from a hydro system, its still fire.

Im lucky enough to live in Missouri. They are amending all sales charges. Meaning, I cant catch a state felony for selling weed.

Im sure it would be better if its cured, I just dont. My humidity is always under 50% so that helps for a quicker dry imo

I

ispy

So he posts it online hahaha i bet that made her feel so much better.

My woman is a felon for sales so no issues there for me luckily. She rarly smokes my weed cause she only likes indicas and i dont like indicas, i grow mainly hybrids and sativas. Anyways she smokes alot and i get to sample the dispensaries and so do my buddies. According to them and me, my weed is cleaner. They say its cause its hydro, i just take the compliments. So even with no cure from a hydro system, its still fire.

Im lucky enough to live in Missouri. They are amending all sales charges. Meaning, I cant catch a state felony for selling weed.

Im sure it would be better if its cured, I just dont. My humidity is always under 50% so that helps for a quicker dry imo
yea ironically i told her that little jar of goodness she dips into each night is the big F. so...

luckily my humidity is running around 44% with ~66 degrees where i am drying so hopefully should go OK.

Cashmeh

Cashmeh

Also to point out how you hung them up, to avoid that, use a scrog next time. I know it was your first grow and it prolly wasnt a possibility but yea, work that into the system on your next grow. I legit cut the plant at the top of the netpot, and moved it where it rested on the top of my lid. I dried my last plant just like it grew. It was cool cause when I took it out of the tent a week later, the entire plant dried like that, all spread out with an even canopy. I didnt even have to partial harvest it cause there wasnt alot of lower buds.
Your humidity and temp is great for drying.
Im also wondering what your grams per watt was. Sucks you had issues at the start, id say you lost weeks of growth due to figure it all out. I mean look at your first comment lol. . that plant took some work to get it to that point. Im still impressed that you did it that well your first try.

I

ispy

Also to point out how you hung them up, to avoid that, use a scrog next time. I know it was your first grow and it prolly wasnt a possibility but yea, work that into the system on your next grow. I legit cut the plant at the top of the netpot, and moved it where it rested on the top of my lid. I dried my last plant just like it grew. It was cool cause when I took it out of the tent a week later, the entire plant dried like that, all spread out with an even canopy. I didnt even have to partial harvest it cause there wasnt alot of lower buds.
Your humidity and temp is great for drying.
Im also wondering what your grams per watt was. Sucks you had issues at the start, id say you lost weeks of growth due to figure it all out. I mean look at your first comment lol. . that plant took some work to get it to that point. Im still impressed that you did it that well your first try.
Yea, had I looked around I would have found the below. I still needed mobility of the plant - why I did what I did. Next time IF.... looks like it was made for me!

Cashmeh

Cashmeh

Yea, had I looked around I would have found the below. I still needed mobility of the plant - why I did what I did. Next time IF.... looks like it was made for me!

View attachment 1304201
Your going to do dwc again lol? ive only ran 1 bucket once, and dont plan on doing it again. Need to get you a tote like I got and a 6 inch hole and 6 inch netpot. My tote is a 30 gallon green tote from walmart. IM sure you can put it on some wheels too if needed. You really need to get your res capacity up so you dont have to mess with it as much.
But yes, that will work, and does look good. Just gotta top it early so its easy weaving.

I

ispy

Your going to do dwc again lol? ive only ran 1 bucket once, and dont plan on doing it again. Need to get you a tote like I got and a 6 inch hole and 6 inch netpot. My tote is a 30 gallon green tote from walmart. IM sure you can put it on some wheels too if needed. You really need to get your res capacity up so you dont have to mess with it as much.
But yes, that will work, and does look good. Just gotta top it early so its easy weaving.
Well as of right now, I am being "shut down". If I go again, I will find a bigger bucket or do RDWC. Just not sure I will be able to. We shall see.

On another note, I am going to cut the rest down. I checked it and it went opaque / amber quick. It may be days again before I get a chance to work on it. Not as much amber here as I thought I saw but it should do me fine.

1668966097724-jpeg.1304554

Top Bottom