Romulan: First attempt at cloning

• Thread starter Xrancher
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
K

khaoticOrder

Actually, they are looking pretty sweet my friend. In my humble experience, they seem to bounce back even after wilting. I'm impressed you are using natural light, but seems like it would not be enough hours to induce vigorous root growth, but that's just my thoughts :)
I use a T-5 over my domes, 2-blue/2-green. Seems to work much better than the fluorescent “grow” lights I had before. Heating mats are a *must*  I've had no luck whatsoever with the rock wool, got either too wet or too dry on me. Could never find that happy medium.
I switched to old school peat pots (pellets - add water and they expand) – these work like a charm for me, I swear by them and I now have a 98% success rate where before I was lucky to come out with a meager 25% success rate.
I soak the pellets until they are completely saturated; I then put (6 at a time) in a tea towel and swing it around 4 times to get out the excess water (do outside!!)- every time this leaves them in the perfect "moist" state for cloning. If you try and squeeze them to get the excess water out, I think it compacts too much; I never had success doing that.
I only use rootone powder on clones (use a good inch or two of it up the steam, can’t have too much!!), and spray both sides of the leaves with anti-wilt. Pre make the hole in whatever you are using as a cloning medium (rockwool/peat pots etc) and put your clone in ensuring not to rub off the powder as you do it.
I agree with jansjukebox, that you may have too many leaves on the clones, this tends to stress. I also cut all the leaves ½ way off, I see you trimmed the tops off, but I could take more off now.
I then spray the peat pellet until just the outside is wet morning and night, usually starting on day 2/3 as I find they are moist enough for the first couple of days and just need leave misting. My dome is completely closed (with a 5 minute open air break for the clones) for the first 4-5 days. I then half vent the dome for the next day or so, and then off with the dome. Misting every morning and night.

I usually have some solid roots starting to poke out around days 8-11, I’ve had some take up to 15 days to root!

Good luck mate, I will watch for your progress!!
Ciao-

I completely agree. I have cloned every way possible, Literally!
It always came easy for me. I also use T5 HO over my clones.
Heat mats generally are too hot. As long as its between 78-85 degrees in your dome they should be good.
The ambient temp in my room is a very closely monitored 80 degrees with supplemental CO2, and I have a 98% success rate. I use soiless pro-mix and rockwool cubes.

Xrancher

Xrancher

Thanks again for all the advice. I'll try it again. On the good side the mothers are kicking ass in their half barrels, that would be the Romulan twins. The Romulan twins have a Sour Diesel and a Bubba Wreck neighbor that when I get this cloning thing down I might do some indoor this winter.
Now I'm just rethinking my cannabis torture chamber while token some good norcal 2009 vintage something or other left over...X

"If it was easy everybody be doing it..."

Xrancher

Xrancher

On the second attempt I succeeded! Roots on day 11 better today day 12.
Thanks again for all the advice.
I used Fiber Grow pellets, Rootone powder and water, no nutes.
My dome now has 2 T12s over it @16/8 and I kept a close eye on temps and only watered the pellets after day 3.
I misted 2 times a day the first 3 days then only watered the pellets 2 times a day after that. Day 7 I just cracked the vents open a little. I had to really keep an eye on the moisture with the vents open.
I also used a heating mat with 1/2" spacers keeping the mat from directly contacting the dome tray.
I didn't keep a thermometer in the room so I don't know the exact temps but the room was always a comfortable temp my guess is 70-78 the dome was warmer due to the heating mat.
I kept a curtain over the window in the room so I wouldn't inadvertently cook these clones with direct sunlight as happened on the first go around.
I started with 5, 2 in rockwool and 3 in pellets. I lost 2,one in a pellet and one in rockwool. I have 2 left in the dome one in the pellet and one in rockwool. Both look like they'll make it. Just waiting to see roots.
I have some Dip-N-Grow jell and Rapid Rooters for my next go around. I've got to get a clone of my Cheese.
All of those farmers trying to clone keep at it, you will prevail.
X

clone_root3.JPG

ROOTS!

clone_root2.JPG

WAH HOO!

Xrancher

Xrancher

This is the first day of real sunshine here in the North bay. My outdoor grow really stalled with the shit weather we've had this May.
A week ago I had to set up all my house fans outside on my plants so they wouldn't freeze as the temp dropped to 32f.
Night before last May 27-28 low temp was 35f the wind machines were going on the grapes and most of the plants outdoors went dormant and the tops started to purple.
I assume the soil was too cold to uptake the proper nutes.
Now the suns out..grow girls grow!
X

jansjukebox

jansjukebox

way to go rancher! I knew you could get the clone thing down. It just takes practice! The only thing I would change is leaving your light on strait 24 hours when trying to root. It works for me. How do you like that t-5? I want to get one this fall..maybe Santa will bring me one...lol right now I just use CFL's for my clones

Xrancher

Xrancher

Thanks jansjukebox, I kind of went offline while doing my experiments. It definitely takes practice. Actually I have two T-12s over my dome, that's all I have at this time, I borrowed them from my small machine shop.
I really thought it was some kind of magic that eluded me. Actually it is magic! You gotta love these plants.
I went with 16/8 so they would acclimate to the out of doors relative easily. I am doing outdoor grow only and this late in the season I thought that would be best.
I have no problem doing 24/0 if that's what it takes to clone my cheese. I just traded my first clone for a Trainwreck clone and would like to clone that as well. I'm gonna be busy.
It will be a nice Christmas. Hope you get your T-5s. X

Xrancher

Xrancher

Romulan update

Here is my very first clone after two weeks outside in the #1 pot.
It's about 8" tall and growing like crazy!

romulan_clone_pot3.JPG

romulan_cone_pot4.JPG

Miss Romulan has yet to find a permanent home.
Suddenly now everyone who sees it wants it.
Before it was yeah whatever, it's so small.
Now it's hey, I got a place for that.
Funny how that goes...

I have a few more in the dome right now.

sd_r_ch_clones.JPG

I used Rapid Rooters
soaked in Safer brand, Oxygen Plus liquid plant food
and used Dip-N-Grow rooting concentrate.
18/6 light from two T12s
pretty much the above watering and misting schedule.

This is at about 10 or 11 days. I think the Cheese has successfully cloned and also another Romulan and a Sour Diesel.
I've got to figure out how to keep some going through the winter.
X

Xrancher

Xrancher

What you don't want to see over your outdoor garden

About a month ago I saw these guys flying a sling load over my house. Sooo, I thought I'd go to the airport and have a look.

camp.JPG

camp2.JPG

Weeell, I talked to them. They were local CAMP guys removing trash and the watering system from a suspected Mexican gang grow operation so it could be replanted with trees.
Good for them! I thanked them for getting the gang grows out of here.
They also told me there were 60 known big gardens in the local area.
I'm glad I'm 215 compliant. These guys could possibly see my outdoor garden.
The gangs planted some explosives to protect a grow a couple of years ago on a friends ranch property. That ain't cool at all!
He called the cops and the CAMP guys came out and removed the booby traps along with the garden. About 2,500 plants.
As long as they see my posted recommendation and respect it...I'll be all good...I hope.
X

jansjukebox

jansjukebox

well rancher, i'm glad to see your success with cloning! Way to go bro! As for the camp guys..just make sure you run to the letter of the law, keep your weed karma good, and send a pray up in smoke to Shiva and the rest is up to the universe. Peace bro and keep up the good work!oh and I find again that 24 hours of light is best for cloning. It might knock a few days off your clone time. Sweet!

Xrancher

Xrancher

well rancher, i'm glad to see your success with cloning! Way to go bro! As for the camp guys..just make sure you run to the letter of the law, keep your weed karma good, and send a pray up in smoke to Shiva and the rest is up to the universe. Peace bro and keep up the good work!oh and I find again that 24 hours of light is best for cloning. It might knock a few days off your clone time. Sweet!

Thanks, yep I think I got it.
I haven't been around for awhile...was lucky enough to get a little work.
X

Xrancher

Xrancher

I've tried powders they don't work you gotta go with Clonex next time Bro

You're right about that.

I have a few more in the dome right now.

sd_r_ch_clones.JPG

I used Rapid Rooters
soaked in Safer brand, Oxygen Plus liquid plant food
and used Dip-N-Grow rooting concentrate.
18/6 light from two T12s
pretty much the above watering and misting schedule.

I've started using Dip-N-Grow liquid concentrate.
works better but I'm a little worried about the caution warnings on the label.

Front label

dipngrowf.JPG

Human warning side label

dipngrowhw.JPG

Environmental warning side label

dipngrowew.JPG

It works great, had roots at 11 days 18/6.
Like jansjukebox said, it would be faster 24/7.

Here is one of my latest ready for a home.

sour_diesel_roots.JPG

I also have three Cheese clones rooted and ready for homes and the Romulan above.

It looks like I'm gonna be busy this weekend!

It's all a learning process and I really appreciate all the advice from everyone.
I've learned a bunch.

I hope others can learn from my fuck ups and success.

X

T

TwoCreeks

New at cloning here but from the experience of watching my wife take 150 or so clones this Spring with about a 95% success ratio I really think folks make way too big a deal of it. It seems to me that the most important factor is keeping a stable temperature in the high 70s. We are taking cuts off lower branches while cleaning up plants. We use a product called DipnGrow and rockwool cubes soaked in tap water. We put them in off clear plastic storage boxes with lids and keep them under subdued T5 light in the veg room. Roots are coming in 7-11 days depending on strain. Once roots are visible they go into soil in 4 inch pots under close T5s until they have obviouly grown, then into gallon pots. She has a bunch of beautiful bushy knee high starts about to go outdoors and for the next indoor cycle.

BTW I had the chance to try some Romulan from a long time Mendo Romulan grower recently and if yours is like his you are one lucky guy....

T

TwoCreeks

Xrancher,

Hey, we were posting about DipNGrow at the same time!..It is my one non-organic tool.
The tiny amount that a clone is exposed to at the very beginning of its life does not seem to significant.

Xrancher

Xrancher

Xrancher,

Hey, we were posting about DipNGrow at the same time!..It is my one non-organic tool.
The tiny amount that a clone is exposed to at the very beginning of its life does not seem to significant.

Yeah, that's funny!
edited to add: check out our post counts.

BTW I had the chance to try some Romulan from a long time Mendo Romulan grower recently and if yours is like his you are one lucky guy....

I've tried a bunch of medicine for my chronic back pain and Romulan so far was the shit so I was really excited to find some clones at one of the areas dispensaries.

Here's where the mothers live...and neighbors

half_barrel_forest5.JPG

The two outdoor Romulans

3romulan621.JPG

Good luck with your grows TwoCreeks thanks for the replies.

X

jansjukebox

jansjukebox

They look beautiful rancher. You can ask 5 different growers the same question and get 6 different answers...lol This sport is mostly trial and error I've found. The only real way to learn is just do it...lol The only person who can't grow weed is someone who refuses to learn from his mistakes. Keep up all the good wrok bro. Wish I lived close. I'm sure I could find a home for an extra rom mom...lol

Xrancher

Xrancher

First clone update

Hey farmers, I finally found homes for my first clones.
I know it's a bit late to transplant but life gets in the way.

So here is the first cutting I successfully cloned.

The Romulan clone is home!

nh29.JPG

perspective with leg

nh1.JPG

What the squash sees, Romulan is behind white bucket of compost tea with neighbors in foreground

nh23.JPG

Cheese that was cloned when flowering. The flowering top turned the leaf weird as it went back into veg.

nh13.JPG

nh14.JPG

I topped the weird leaves of the second Cheese clone that looks normal now.

nh17.JPG

Job completed, time to relax.

nh42.JPG

I'll try to get more pictures and post the life cycle of my cloned Romulan as she grows into a mature lady.

Xrancher

jansjukebox

jansjukebox

way to go rancher! Those are soem nice looking plants! I'd love to be able to pop a couple outside. One day....lol but really bro, they're kickin now! Keep up the good work!

Xrancher

Xrancher

First Romulan clone ripe for harvest

Here are the last pictures of my first clone... ready for harvest.

Ripe_Romulan_clone.JPG

close up of top

Romulan_trichomes.jpg

In a few weeks I expect to post a smoke report.

Xrancher

Confuten1

Confuten1

exploitin strengths - perfectin weaknessess
Supporter
Stellar clone job start to finish.
confu...

Top Bottom