Rookie outdoor grow in hollister ca

• Thread starter cbrians
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
cbrians

cbrians

Alright let me lead with this;

I donā€™t know what Iā€™m doing. Iā€™m not trying to get all crazy with the ph and the nutes and what note. just trying to see if I can get these plants to survive.

Plants are mystery strains, from seeds Iā€™ve collected over the last 8+years. Germinated by floating in water, planted in some Black Gold soil I got at ace, and did pretty well. Popped out of the dirt on easter, so just over a month ago.

I have transplanted them from solo cups, to little 1 gallons, to 7 gallon grow bags. I just moved them outside because everything is telling me to get them in the sun.

Made a shitty little green house mostly to block the wind and now the girls are looking a little sad. Iā€™ve googled it and read about transplant shock and overwatering and alot of potential issues but donā€™t know what it is. Iā€™m sure it has to do with moving them and changing the environment but again, not sure exactly what.

Pictures attached but theyā€™re out of order, thanks in advance

Rookie outdoor grow in hollister ca
Rookie outdoor grow in hollister ca 2
Rookie outdoor grow in hollister ca 3
Rookie outdoor grow in hollister ca 4
Rookie outdoor grow in hollister ca 5
Rookie outdoor grow in hollister ca 6
Rookie outdoor grow in hollister ca 7
Rookie outdoor grow in hollister ca 8
Rookie outdoor grow in hollister ca 9
Rookie outdoor grow in hollister ca 10
Rookie outdoor grow in hollister ca 11
Rookie outdoor grow in hollister ca 12
Rookie outdoor grow in hollister ca 13
Rookie outdoor grow in hollister ca 14
BearWater

BearWater

Supporter
nice little green house thingy : ) biggest thing I can say is try and figure out the watering. Look into watering frequency vs quantity. And be ready to fight the good fight against bugs and disease (not a big deal just be ready). Thereā€™s some really experienced growers here that can get you dialed, tons of reading material also. Welcome to the farm!!!

P

Putthataway

Welcome to the farm. First off I recommend removing your kid from the picture šŸ‘ŠšŸ«£. You will get good advice from others on here. In the smaller pots they look overwatered but arenā€™t sad and droopy until after you moved them over. That is big pot of dirt to dry out with the plants and roots being so small. I am familiar with black gold. Thereā€™s two available where I live depending on the season. One is straight peat moss and would be mixed with with other ingredients. The other is a soil that contains fertilizer. I donā€™t recall what was in it but I didnā€™t want to use it on my citrus tree. If you are looking to not use any nutes I would suggest looking into organic, I have been using the build a soil 3.0. I donā€™t think your issue looks like transplant shock. Looks like watering. You want to let the pots dry out between watering so your roots dry out and get oxygen.

cbrians

cbrians

Welcome to the farm. First off I recommend removing your kid from the picture šŸ‘ŠšŸ«£. You will get good advice from others on here. In the smaller pots they look overwatered but arenā€™t sad and droopy until after you moved them over. That is big pot of dirt to dry out with the plants and roots being so small. I am familiar with black gold. Thereā€™s two available where I live depending on the season. One is straight peat moss and would be mixed with with other ingredients. The other is a soil that contains fertilizer. I donā€™t recall what was in it but I didnā€™t want to use it on my citrus tree. If you are looking to not use any nutes I would suggest looking into organic, I have been using the build a soil 3.0. I donā€™t think your issue looks like transplant shock. Looks like watering. You want to let the pots dry out between watering so your roots dry out and get oxygen.
ah fuck parenting win šŸ˜…

the black gold is organic I think, I can try and find a picture.

So too much water? I was worried it wasnā€™t enough. Iā€™m working graveyard now but I can send an updated pic in the morning

P

Putthataway

ah fuck parenting win šŸ˜…

the black gold is organic I think, I can try and find a picture.

So too much water? I was worried it wasnā€™t enough. Iā€™m working graveyard now but I can send an updated pic in the morning
I think now someone reacted to it, you canā€™t edit it out. Pm a moderator to remove it.
Have you been letting the pots dry out? If they have been constantly wet they drowning/ suffocating. The black gold that is just peat moss doesnā€™t have any nutrients for the plant. It comes in huge cubes and that soil is in a bag.

cbrians

cbrians

I think now someone reacted to it, you canā€™t edit it out. Pm a moderator to remove it.
Have you been letting the pots dry out? If they have been constantly wet they drowning/ suffocating. The black gold that is just peat moss doesnā€™t have any nutrients for the plant. It comes in huge cubes and that soil is in a bag.
Yeah I was just looking to remove it and couldnā€™t see how.

Black gold soil Iā€™m using is the organic, I remember the orange label.

I was being hesitant with water, but then I was worried the fabric pots and outdoor temps
might be evaporating the water faster than Iā€™m used to so I gave them a bit more.

IMG 8995
cbrians

cbrians

Also, Iā€™m not against nutes. Iā€™m just new lol trying not to overwhelm myself with knowledge, I did a good amount of lurking on forums and got intimated by all the science. Just trying not to get ahead of myself.

P

Putthataway

Yeah I was just looking to remove it and couldnā€™t see how.

Black gold soil Iā€™m using is the organic, I remember the orange label.

I was being hesitant with water, but then I was worried the fabric pots and outdoor temps
might be evaporating the water faster than Iā€™m used to so I gave them a bit more.
On my phone thereā€™s a small edit button on the bottom left corner that you can click and select edit from a carrot. If someone quotes you or drops one of reactions you canā€™t editā€¦ I would pm a mod. The soil you pictured has 0-0-0 or something similar. That means thereā€™s nothing in it.

P

Putthataway

Also, Iā€™m not against nutes. Iā€™m just new lol trying not to overwhelm myself with knowledge, I did a good amount of lurking on forums and got intimated by all the science. Just trying not to get ahead of myself.
I have learned a lot. One thing is mixing nutrients is time consuming and water time can be tight. The 3.0 build a soil requires no nutrients supposedly. Way easier to learn doing nothing but watering.

Imzzaudae

Imzzaudae

Mix 1 oz of Muskie 5-1-1 per gallon of water and a good scoop of compost in a 5 gallon bucket bucket.

Warm up a cup of water. Add 1 teaspoon of Crosby's fancy Molasses per gallon in your bucket. Mix well.
Add the molasses water to the bucket once dissolved.

Give it a good mix with a stick and water your plants well with it. This is a boosted compost tea that works wonders for plants of any age. If you don't have compost you can buy a bag at the hardware store. I use this every other week outdoors. After straining I put the old compost back on the pile.

These small pots in the kitchen need to be put outside in full sun all day brought back in at night. Window sill does not have enough light. Give everybody full sun. sun up to sun down if you can.

Last edited:
cbrians

cbrians

Mix 1 oz of Muskie 5-1-1 per gallon of water and a good scoop of compost in a 5 gallon bucket bucket.
View attachment 2167491

Warm up a cup of water. Add 1 teaspoon of Crosby's fancy Molasses per gallon in your bucket. Mix well.
Add the molasses water to the bucket once dissolved.

View attachment 2167492
Give it a good mix with a stick and water your plants well with it. This is a boosted compost tea that works wonders for plants of any age. If you don't have compost you can buy a bag at the hardware store. I use this every other week outdoors. After straining I put the old compost back on the pile.

These small pots in the kitchen need to be put outside in full sun all day brought back in at night. Window sill does not have enough light. Give everybody full sun. sun up to sun down if you can.

Okay awesome! Iā€™ll watch those.

All pics are of the same plants in different stages šŸ‘šŸ¼

Imzzaudae

Imzzaudae

They all look pretty nice. That juice will green your plants up, they will love it.
The Node 5 training is basically for indoors but I use it out doors as well. Spread everything out and let the sub branches grow in. I end up with great short bushy plants.

Make sure and off gas city water or use rain water for the tea above. It's about feeding microbes.
Chlorine in city water will kill all the life in your soil if you don't off gas it.

Last edited:
cbrians

cbrians

Alrighty, these are the plants as of this morning. They just look tired?

The one I hadnā€™t transplanted yet is standing straight up stoked on life.

I had already thrown away the soil bags but it was black gold with an orange label šŸ¤·

I did water them yesterday, pretty well, out of fear. Iā€™m also worried my little hot box isnt venting very well.

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
I would lose the greenhouse, as much sun as possible, maybe raise the pots up on something so you get some airflow underneath them. If you watered recently and they havenā€™t perked up then you are probably over watering! Wait longer between watering.

cbrians

cbrians

I would lose the greenhouse, as much sun as possible, maybe raise the pots up on something so you get some airflow underneath them. If you watered recently and they havenā€™t perked up then you are probably over watering! Wait longer between watering.
I just opened up the top of it so it vents a little more, it was getting steamy.

I have them in there mostly because of how damn windy it gets in my yard. I will try and find something to set them up on

Top Bottom