Rookie question. What are nanners ?

• Thread starter Panhead59
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Ponky

Ponky

Plant sex organs that grow on a hermaphrodite plant. Usually a feminized hybrid poo strain does it.

SweetLeafGrow

SweetLeafGrow

From what I know...

They are male parts that grow out of a female flower when it hermies. The literally look like small bananas. They are full of pollen and will pollinate your female flowers if you let them.

Ponky

Ponky

Any harm ?
Total loss. When you see one. It's over. That plant will be the poo. Seedy and taste like hay. And the genetics are trash. So if you get one. The whole crop is trash. Some people save them for some reason. I say never get attached to a plant or strain. No weakness. No mercy. Best case scenario is you make concentrate and didn't have to trim.

elduderito

elduderito

Total loss. When you see one. It's over. That plant will be the poo. Seedy and taste like hay. And the genetics are trash. So if you get one. The whole crop is trash. Some people save them for some reason. I say never get attached to a plant or strain. No weakness. No mercy. Best case scenario is you make concentrate and didn't have to trim.
I would have to disagree - many sativas are known to throw out some later flower nanners - that doesn't make it trash... you can still get great smoking pot from hermied weed... some times the nanners don't even drop viable pollen and no pollination occurs...

SweetLeafGrow

SweetLeafGrow

I would have to disagree
I would concur with this to a point. I am getting ready to enter week 8 of 8 and there is no way I would trash my crop now if a couple of nanners showed up. I am no expert but I would think even after pollinating, it would take some time for seeds to form inside the flowers, and unless there are significant decreases in thc after pollinating, I would think there wouldn't be much harm. I only have one week left and chopping. I have been thinking about what would happen if any of my plants hermied at this stage and I would just pick them off at this point.

I would think Ponky might be correct if you were in early flower when you got your nanners. At that point, I would chop, dry what flower there is, and cut my losses.

Ponky

Ponky

I don't want pollen, sativas or plants that can hermie. I don't want to smoke it. And no one would buy it. I would be stuck with making concentrate. Don't fall in love with a strain or crop. Powdery mildew? Kill it. Bud rot? Chop it. Hermies? Get a new source of seeds. Or buy clones. Got no smoke? Desperate? Finish growing a herm.. smoke it. And when that proper crop drops never speak of it again.

elduderito

elduderito

absolutely... there are degrees of hermaphroditism, and it can happen at various stages - so it really has to be taken on case by case .. I've had late nanners on some haze plants and have not seen any seeds in the rest of my garden (perpetual at all stages of flowering) ... If late in flower you should pluck them off with wet tweezers ..
I would concur with this to a point. I am getting ready to enter week 8 of 8 and there is no way I would trash my crop now if a couple of nanners showed up. I am no expert but I would think even after pollinating, it would take some time for seeds to form inside the flowers, and unless there are significant decreases in thc after pollinating, I would think there wouldn't be much harm. I only have one week left and chopping. I have been thinking about what would happen if any of my plants hermied at this stage and I would just pick them off at this point.

I would think Ponky might be correct if you were in early flower when you got your nanners. At that point, I would chop, dry what flower there is, and cut my losses.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
I don't want pollen, sativas or plants that can hermie. I don't want to smoke it. And no one would buy it. I would be stuck with making concentrate. Don't fall in love with a strain or crop. Powdery mildew? Kill it. Bud rot? Chop it. Hermies? Get a new source of seeds. Or buy clones. Got no smoke? Desperate? Finish growing a herm.. smoke it. And when that proper crop drops never speak of it again.

A full on hermie in early to mid flower, yes, chop it.
A banana in late flower, is nothing to worry about 99% of the time. Some of the most famous and strongest strains of all time are prone to throwing late stage nanners. They rarely form seeds, and if they do, what is the big deal about a few immature seeds in a pound of pot? Sometimes it's absolutely worth it.

SweetLeafGrow

SweetLeafGrow

Some of the most famous and strongest strains of all time are prone to throwing late stage nanners.
I think that is the case with the Gorilla Glue #4, which I am currently growing. So far, no nanners and I hope it stays that way but I am past the time of stressing about them. Just a bit over a week to go till harvest.

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

I'm in the middle here. If I see a nanner a week or two before chopping, I'll just tweeze it out.

But it would have to be unbelievably good weed for me to keep a cut of that plant. It's tough enough to keep mom plants happy. I don't want to spend any time checking for boy parts.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Man this is so over-reactionary.
Chemdog, trainwreck, blueberry, girl guide cookies, GG4, and tons of others legends that are prone to throwing either bananas or even full on hermie traits if stressed.

This cut of platinum cookies I had reliably threw out nanners in week 9 like clockwork. Harvested around week 10. Never found a seed in the bud and it never produced a true hermaphrodite in the 3 or 4 years I grew it. Was one of the best strains I've ever had. Would you seriously not grow this again just because it threw late stage bananas?
Screenshot 20210802 112357 Gallery

Ponky

Ponky

A full on hermie in early to mid flower, yes, chop it.
A banana in late flower, is nothing to worry about 99% of the time. Some of the most famous and strongest strains of all time are prone to throwing late stage nanners. They rarely form seeds, and if they do, what is the big deal about a few immature seeds in a pound of pot? Sometimes it's absolutely worth it.
Well if someone buys a load and there are seeds in it i guess the problem is giving them back a grocery store bag full of money back. While having to pick the load back up. Just not worth it. If I had no backup. Maybe. But no. It don't even want it going in my grinder. And if I was to roll up a joint that went pop.... well it would be grounds for me to be mocked. And my reputation would suffer. It's like sucking just one dick in prison. Makes you a cock sucker. Seeds in your weed.. makes you seed guy. Instead of seizures from overly strong kush guy. But if you have nothing else make due. But never fall in love with a crop. You end up growing Bruce Banner for a year and sitting on it because no one cares its 27%. It's got seeds and tastes like pepper. Smoking seed weed is like riding a scooter. Is it fun? Yeah. But... you know. Only grow killer genetics. If it showed any weakness. Get rid of it. Better for the long run.

Ponky

Ponky

Man this is so over-reactionary.
Chemdog, trainwreck, blueberry, girl guide cookies, GG4, and tons of others legends that are prone to throwing either bananas or even full on hermie traits if stressed. The cut of platinum cookies I had reliably threw out nanners in week 9 like clockwork. Harvested around week 10. Never found a seed in the bud and it never produced a true hermaphrodite in the 3 or 4 years I grew it. Was one of the best strains I've ever had.
DJ short Blueberry. Ok. Chemdog. Grew it. It was strong. Has seeds. Liked to get fungus. Discard as trash. No one even wanted to smoke it. Bruce Banner? Same. Lemon garlic? Same. All tasty. All hybrids. All massive wastes of time. Peanut Butter Mac? Meh. It was fine. Tastes like wax. Wouldn't smoke. Grow or buy. But it's decent. I'm coming out and saying feminized seeds are 95% garbage. And there's a reason the loads of quads are always gassy kush from clones.
Save plants only if you have to. Week 8? Seed pods? Chop it. Live resin. Replace genetics. Others will vote otherwise. But there are people that buy weed at the weed shop and like it. It's like cigarettes. Some people are Newport people. Some people don't even like strong weed.
And if you grow loads you'd better not have seeds. Thats super bad for business.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Well if someone buys a load and there are seeds in it i guess the problem is giving them back a grocery store bag full of money back. While having to pick the load back up. Just not worth it. If I had no backup. Maybe. But no. It don't even want it going in my grinder. And if I was to roll up a joint that went pop.... well it would be grounds for me to be mocked. And my reputation would suffer. It's like sucking just one dick in prison. Makes you a cock sucker. Seeds in your weed.. makes you seed guy. Instead of seizures from overly strong kush guy. But if you have nothing else make due. But never fall in love with a crop. You end up growing Bruce Banner for a year and sitting on it because no one cares its 27%. It's got seeds and tastes like pepper. Smoking seed weed is like riding a scooter. Is it fun? Yeah. But... you know. Only grow killer genetics. If it showed any weakness. Get rid of it. Better for the long run.
I'm not disagreeing with this and actually find it pretty funny, but I've never seen a nanner do that if it's near the end of the flower cycle.

You're talking about true herm traits, not nanners which usually pop out at the end of a grow.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
DJ short Blueberry. Ok. Chemdog. Grew it. It was strong. Has seeds. Liked to get fungus. Discard as trash. No one even wanted to smoke it. Bruce Banner? Same. Lemon garlic? Same. All tasty. All hybrids. All massive wastes of time. Peanut Butter Mac? Meh. It was fine. Tastes like wax. Wouldn't smoke. Grow or buy. But it's decent. I'm coming out and saying feminized seeds are 95% garbage. And there's a reason the loads of quads are always gassy kush from clones.
Save plants only if you have to. Week 8? Seed pods? Chop it. Live resin. Replace genetics. Others will vote otherwise. But there are people that buy weed at the weed shop and like it. It's like cigarettes. Some people are Newport people. Some people don't even like strong weed.
And if you grow loads you'd better not have seeds. Thats super bad for business.
Thanks for the lesson Ponky.

Panhead59

Panhead59

Wow. Touchy topic, but civil, i like it !!! The plant in ? Is ac/dc from Growers choice. Supposed to be photo but flowered by itself under 18/6 light. So I get it regarding good genetics. Who knows what it is, really. Won't buy from them again. This plant had a major stress event (lack of water) at about 5 wks
Into flower. It's at 9 wks. Now. Clear trics still. Growing for cbd content, not thc. Not for sale or reputation. I have a white Widow beside it in 4x4 tent
Ffhf soil. First two are ac/dc, second two are w.w. see any nanners ?

20210802 155346
20210802 155404 002
20210802 155407
20210802 155329
SweetLeafGrow

SweetLeafGrow

I don't see any nanners but that last photo looks like what they call "fox tails". Nice flowers bro.

Panhead59

Panhead59

First grow. Some major mistakes. Didn't really have environment ( tent ) set up totally stable at first. Learning on the fly !!!! Yeah, i went for an extra day w/out water once and returned home to dying plants. These two survived but just barely as you can tell by the leafs ( leaves ? -whatever, u catch my drift ). Anyway, live n learn. What a long, strange road it's been !!! It 's waaaaay more complicated than i would've ever imagined. But i like the challenge it brings. I'm hooked !!!!! Second grow will be better for sure. Foxtails ? What the?????

Top Bottom